Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
I am seriously considering dropping the main MacRumors page from my daily viewing.
The amount of ads now are driving me crazy.........?
Will probably just stick to the forums.

Reactions: Dhbuckley

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
The problem I have is MacRumors will occasionally not load because of the ads.

The only option I have is to quit my browser.

It was occurring about half of the time when they changed the layout but now it occurs very infrequently.

I agree that the amount and size of ads has increased but MacRumors is a business and that's how they make their money :(.

How much are people willing to pay / year for an ad free experience (I'm not sure if MacRumors can selectively show ads) ?

There are ad blockers but, to me, it almost seems like stealing from the website.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
Even with all the ‘good’ reviews, I don’t trust putting a third party free app on my device to block ads.
You don’t know what access your giving them. I would prefer to pay for a ‘known’ developer.
There should be an option within safari by default.

MacRumors has been limited to my iPad for a while now to keep all the BS off my mac.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
Wow, I didn’t know this was an option...... ?
What is exactly ‘almost’, I may consider this option.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

Reactions: willmtaylor

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
I looked at that page, but from your personal pov, what is the percentage reduced?
MacRumors should have an ad for THIS, to make people aware......?
This is the first time I have heard of it.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I am seriously considering dropping the main MacRumors page from my daily viewing.
The amount of ads now are driving me crazy.........?
Will probably just stick to the forums.
Sorry about that. We are working on performance issues. If you are logged into forums, front page ads shouldn’t be very aggressive. So check to see if u are logged into forums on your devices.

arn

Reactions: Dhbuckley

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
This is the homepage with me logged in... note, both of these are videos and on my iPad Air they slow the page right down.

9DF016BF-C34E-417D-8FDC-AD6C4B6B784A.png

i know you guys need to make money, but this is excessive.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This is the homepage with me logged in... note, both of these are videos and on my iPad Air they slow the page right down.

View attachment 872769

Hmm ya. Looks like the code isn’t working for logged in users. I’ll try to fix it tonight.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
How much are people willing to pay / year for an ad free experience (I'm not sure if MacRumors can selectively show ads) ?
$25 per year. I love not having ads on the forums. It's well worth it for me.

And Arn, I'm still getting ads on the home page. I've tried the work-around link posted in the private forum but nothing's helped.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

View attachment 872769

The oversized top banner shouldn't appear any more when you are logged in. Just the normal one. That code wasn't working before.

arn

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003

this is a great question.
it is not accurate for a mac rumors associated person to say "almost all".
however, the later additionally added explanation is correct ("The oversized top banner shouldn't appear any more when you are logged in. Just the normal one."

i attach a Front page of this past moment's ads.
the ads may be smaller, but not "almost all" gone.

i will admit, the only reason for me to pay money is to get rid of as much ads as possible, including for this site.
for me, the amount of ads, after paying the fee, is not considered excessive by me.
ads also never appear on any of the Forum pages which is a plus.
the ads in the screen shot appear as a normal sized banner ad on top and in a square box at the top of the Guides column on the right.
neither of which appear to be excessive to me.
Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at   12.15.00.png

Reactions: BigMcGuire

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
however, the later additionally added explanation is correct ("The oversized top banner shouldn't appear any more when you are logged in. Just the normal one."

i attach a Front page of this past moment's ads.
the ads may be smaller, but not "almost all" gone.

i will admit, the only reason for me to pay money is to get rid of as much ads as possible, including for this site.
for me, the amount of ads, after paying the fee, is not considered excessive by me.
ads also never appear on any of the Forum pages which is a plus.
the ads in the screen shot appear as a normal sized banner ad on top and in a square box at the top of the Guides column on the right.
neither of which appear to be excessive to me.
View attachment 872933

try hitting https://www.macrumors.com/?ads=0 as a contributor and it should kill the ads

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005

You're mixing two separate things here.

1. The oversized top ad is replaced with a smaller one (at least it does now...was broken before) if you are simply logged into the forums. No contribution required.

2. If you are a contributor, "almost all" ads are indeed removed. You have to hit the following link to set the cookie to nix the ads:

Reactions: MarkC426

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
fwiw... I think I fixed this so you don't have to do anything different after contributing for front page ads to disappear. Should happen automatically (if you are logged in)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.