Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bananaste

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
Hey all,

I'm new to the forums but I've been a long time visitor just for quick news updates. Does anyone else find it weird that this is an Apple fan site but the site visual design is kinda old and dated? I still come here for the rumors/news but I tend to go elsewhere for reviews etc just because the content is presented more nicely, etc. I know Apple product appeal to people for a variety of reasons but I'm kind of a design/art nerd so to me this just always seemed weird.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
We’ve gone through some design mockups but never settled on anything. Any news/review site designs that you particularly like?

arn

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Does anyone else find it weird that this is an Apple fan site but the site visual design is kinda old and dated? I still come here for the rumors/news but I tend to go elsewhere for reviews etc just because the content is presented more nicely, etc. I know Apple product appeal to people for a variety of reasons but I'm kind of a design/art nerd so to me this just always seemed weird.

No problem here. This is pretty standard fare for an online forum. Quite frankly, some of the forums that try to be all modern in design are terrible. Have you visited Apple's forums? Awful garbage that's the worst of both worlds. I'll take clean and functional over pretty and frustrating anyday.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The forums look modern and fresh after the recent update. Admittedly the front page does look outdated, especially with the separate desktop and mobile versions instead of modern responsive design, but all I'm waiting for at this point is a dark mode version.

Bananaste

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
We’ve gone through some design mockups but never settled on anything. Any news/review site designs that you particularly like?

arn

I find myself going to you guys and the verge everyday. You guys supplement since they aren't just apple. Not their particular style per se but it feels more concise and easier to digest. Just overall nicer and more up to date.

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
I like the design of the Verge - everything from the fonts, to the colours is lovely. But in terms of content, they're often poorly written articles that are wide of the mark. I also like Polygon (same owners as the Verge), and Ars Technica.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.