Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I could go either way on the alert hover, but I do miss having the unread alerts highlighted under the old system.

Is this what you're talking about? I get unread alerts notification (badging) on the upper right on the forum header bar:

Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 6.35.37 AM.png

adrianlondon

macrumors 601
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Is this what you're talking about? I get unread alerts notification (badging) on the upper right on the forum header bar ...
I'm guessing they mean when you click on the alert icon, it used to be much easier to differentiate between new (unread) and old alerts. it's still possible, but they're just extremely similar shades of wishy washy blue/grey.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is this what you're talking about? I get unread alerts notification (badging) on the upper right on the forum header bar:
Yes, but under the old system once you looked at those alerts the unread ones were clearly highlighted so you could differentiate them from the rest.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Yes, but under the old system once you looked at those alerts the unread ones were clearly highlighted so you could differentiate them from the rest.

The whole read/unread differentiation is suspect throughout the entire new interface. After a couple of weeks, I have to say that I am not a fan. It’s the little things just make it look much less polished, unfinished and amateurish.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
Hi, I no longer seem to be able to simultaneously: see "all comments" AND have ability to "like" them AND order them by "top rated comments". If I want to see comments ordered by rating, then I can only see a handful of them, and can't "like" them. Is this going to be fixed at some point?

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I find it incredibly hard to compose a post. Problems start to appear when replying to others, pressing Return and moving the cursor. Weird behavior all around.

I figured everyone was already aware of these issues, but since I couldn’t find confirmation I thought I’d state it here. I could provide more details if needed, in case it’s just me...

Which browser?

Some of the issues:

1. I click on the box (Write your reply...) and hit 'return' -> it no longer starts typing with a capitalized character, I have to manually hit shift on my keyboard
  2. This also happens when first typing a sentence, then hitting Return.
  3. Hitting Return a second time does trigger the Shift key, but you're still positioned only one line down despite having hit Return twice
  4. Hit Return again to move to the third line, but again no capitalized first character
  5. Hit Return a fourth time and Shift is active again, but it stays on the third line
  6. Moving the cursor using the spacebar long-press does move the cursor, but visually I'm taken to the bottom of the page (this happens sporadically)

(iOS 13.1.2, iPhone XS, Safari)

I've also seen some other weird behavior that was far more annoying, but I have forgotten how it happened and haven't been able to replicate it yet. I was kind of expecting that these issues where reported already, but I haven't found it or had a response on my previous post...

Reactions: Peadogie

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Is there a way to swap the like and report buttons? Often times when I want to like a post I end up tapping the report button by mistake because it’s right underneath where all the likes to a post are shown.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Is there a way to swap the like and report buttons? Often times when I want to like a post I end up tapping the report button by mistake because it’s right underneath where all the likes to a post are shown.

Personally, I prefer the "report" button to be in a completely different area of the screen, as it is... you have the more common actions (LIKE, QUOTE and REPLY) grouped together, and REPORT in a different area completely.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Has the work on the forum upgraded ceased? The front page of the forums still looks horrible - amateurish and with graphics that could have been done by a 5 year old. The colors are still incredibly hard on the eyes... and I still have problems distinguishing the new/unread posts ("bolded" font??) from the read posts.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Has the work on the forum upgraded ceased? The front page of the forums still looks horrible - amateurish and with graphics that could have been done by a 5 year old. The colors are still incredibly hard on the eyes... and I still have problems distinguishing the new/unread posts ("bolded" font??) from the read posts.

You talking about dark mode?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You talking about dark mode?
The colors are better in light mode, but the bolding vs. no bolding for unread/read not being present for colors is there in either mode.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I just wanted to point out that the speed of this site is always really snappy, at least for me. For a board this size I can imagine the backend is robust and I know it's not easy maintaining it, just wanted to acknowledge you guys for your work here. Well done.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Question about likes. I’d like to verify that the new like choices, are all likes, saying I like this post, but the individual choices are to express an emotion, such as “I like that you made this post, but it makes me sad or mad.“ Accurate?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Question about likes. I’d like to verify that the new like choices, are all likes, saying I like this post, but the individual choices are to express an emotion, such as “I like that you made this post, but it makes me sad or mad.“ Accurate?
From an overall "counting" perspective: Like, Love, Haha, and Wow all count as +1, while Sad and Angry count as zero.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
From an overall "counting" perspective: Like, Love, Haha, and Wow all count as +1, while Sad and Angry count as zero.
Oh, so sad and angry are relative expressions of disapproval? I think that is important to know because there have been posts that I like projecting approval directed at the poster, but want to say the topic makes me sad or angry.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Oh, so sad and angry are relative expressions of disapproval? I think that is important to know because there have been posts that I like projecting approval directed at the poster, but want to say the topic makes me sad or angry.
I don’t pay attention to Like counts but that is the way I use the reactions.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Actually, I get this distinction completely, and understand fully what you say, as it is pretty much my own stance on this matter.

I don’t pay attention to Like counts but that is the way I use the reactions.

You learn something new every day (or, at least you should try to do so); I hadn't known that the various sub-divisions (expressed as emoticons) of the "like" button attracted different scores.

Fascinating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Actually, I get this distinction completely.

You learn something new every day (or, at least you should try to do so); I hadn't known that the various sub-divisions (expressed as emoticons) of the "like" button attracted different scores.

Fascinating.

Why do we even score/count Likes? Does it mean something? How do you find out your score? Is it how many you give or how many you receive? Other sites I visit you get scored on "helpfulness" for lack of a better term. I guess they call it Reputation. So if you post a sad story and others agree that it's a sad story so give you the Sad face it actually counts against you?

ETA: I also see how Haha could actually go either way in terms of positive/negative points ("hey that's a funny story" vs "boy you were a sucker and fell for a trick") and I would say that 98% of the time Angry is also an "agreement" reaction rather than being angry at the the OP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Why do we even score/count Likes? Does it mean something? How do you find out your score? Is it how many you give or how many you receive? Other sites I visit you get scored on "helpfulness" for lack of a better term. I guess they call it Reputation. So if you post a sad story and others agree that it's a sad story so give you the Sad face it actually counts against you?

A number of years ago, if memory serves, the site had a feature which included "up vote" (i.e. 'like') and also a "down vote".

The provision of the latter gave rise to an ugly and exceptionally negative tone in some sections of the forum, and was subsequently removed, leaving only the "up-vote" to express "likes".

At one stage, - after the first forum move to Xenforo - "points" were briefly awarded for 'numbers' - specific numbers - of likes, i.e. the more likes, the more points, but that feature was disabled after a very short time.

Since the most recent move to a different platform, emoticons have been added to allow you to refine how you express your "likes", although I hadn't realised that there was a negative element to this until @Huntn (and earlier, @chown33) made reference to this.

Re "finding out your score" there is a tiny 'down arrow' under your user-name and MR 'rank' when you post; click on that, and it will give you the date you joined the forum, and two sets of figures: In descending order, these are, firstly, the number of posts you have made, and secondly, the number of "likes" these posts have received.

Thus, in your case, as of now, you have made 2,110 posts, and have received 9,761 likes. Thus, the likes that are counted on your profile are how many "likes" you receive.

However, I like the idea that you have mentioned of "helpfulness", or that some feature exists to ensure that helpful posters are - or can be - acknowledged.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn and mollyc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.