Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Everywhere I look this morning, I'm seeing the little dude holding a pencil like before. I don't know what is up with the car.

Hm.

I had to ask how 'thread starter' was depicted, and was advised to seek out the "blue icon" (and thank you, I found it).

Then, today, someone mentioned that it resembled a car, and - again, on inspection (not that I had noticed anything other than a blue blur), I could see that yes, it does, sort of resemble a car, one viewed head on from the front, perhaps like a little tram.

But, a little dude holding a pencil?

No, that is not what I see.

However, one could speculate as to whether this could be considered as a sort of MR Rorschach test.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
But, a little dude holding a pencil?
Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 7.34.42 AM.png
I'm seeing this right now for OP.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm guessing you are on mobile. I see the car on mobile and the pencil fellow on desktop.

No, actually, I never use mobile for such a purpose.

My eyesight, for one, would find it difficult, as I have an iPhone SE, and I loathe large mobiles, as I prefer the smaller form factor, but don't much use my mobile except for phone calls and texts and WhatsApp.

No, I am on my trusty 11" MBA, which is where I almost always access MR from.

Actually, I just checked on page on of this thread - to confirm what I saw, or, am seeing (or, think I am seeing) - and @arn's little blue icon looks like car.....

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hmm... I'm out of ideas then. I see the pencil guy on Safari with my MBP and the car on Safari on my iPhone.

It is not a problem, to be honest.

In truth, I hadn't noticed anything at all until it was pointed out to me when I asked how (or if) a thread starter was identified under the new system. I was instructed to seek out the "blue icon" beneath the name of the original poster.

Then, today, someone mentioned that the blue icon resembled a car, which I also hadn't noticed - as I wear glasses, as all I had noticed was a blue thing that I knew was referred to as "an icon".

No worries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weaselboy

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
I'm not getting the dark theme on the main website on my Mac running the Catalina beta, is this a known issue? Works fine on my phone running 13.1.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Dark mode has not been deployed yet on the desktop news pages...still in progress.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Maybe the car signifies viewing on a mobile device, and the pencil on a regular computer. 🤷‍♂️

Now I am really confused. I posted the screenshot of the "car icon"... I switch between a desktop view (Safari) and mobile (Tapatalk). I do NOT use Safari on my phone for viewing this forum or any other... so, with that said, I know the screen shot was captured on my desktop, as Tapatalk does not display the left column with the poster information - it just the OP's name and icon, but no other info.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Everywhere I look this morning, I'm seeing the little dude holding a pencil like before. I don't know what is up with the car.

I have solved the discrepancy with OP icon.

The car icon shows when the theme is set to auto-detect. This is also the default theme when logged out.
When the theme is set to light or dark it shows the person with pencil icon.

Mystery solved! 😃

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have solved the discrepancy with OP icon.

The car icon shows when the theme is set to auto-detect. This is also the default theme when logged out.
When the theme is set to light or dark it shows the person with pencil icon.

Mystery solved! ?

Ah, excellent; an explanation that is both logical and supplies an entirely credible answer to this question.

And one that I have now tested empirically, myself.

Thank you. Bravo, well done.

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of the new Apple Watch icons. The old one was unmistakably an Apple Watch. The new one is...a $5 Disney watch. Even the iPhone. Looks like an old Samsung now. I'll get used to it though.

The alerts are a little bit of a step back. Mousing over doesn't show the alerts anymore. But clicking the alerts sets them all to read. So you need to remember how many alerts you had before clicking and go through them manually. The old version highlighted the number you had.

I like the new react/like icons. It's more relevant than just a "like".

Reactions: Expos of 1969

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of the new Apple Watch icons. The old one was unmistakably an Apple Watch. The new one is...a $5 Disney watch. Even the iPhone. Looks like an old Samsung now. I'll get used to it though.

The alerts are a little bit of a step back. Mousing over doesn't show the alerts anymore. But clicking the alerts sets them all to read. So you need to remember how many alerts you had before clicking and go through them manually. The old version highlighted the number you had.

I like the new react/like icons. It's more relevant than just a "like".

I don’t really understand why the iPhone icon....doesn’t look like an iPhone?

Reactions: Akrapovic

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
I have to be honest (and I'm sorry if this is harsh), but the redesign feels very much like Googles Material design. It feels like a Google product. The icons are more Google than they are Apple. Even the overly aggressive push notifications.

"Can we send you push notifications?"
"No you cannot not"
*in red* "We STRONGLY suggest you let us send you push notifications!"

No. No you can't. I said no, and I mean it. Aggressively pushing for that sort of stuff is very un-Apple.

The design isn't bad, and I'm sure the upgrade came with many new features and updates and all that good stuff. But it doesn't feel like an Apple thing. Sorry. I don't mean to be harsh because I love this site and the free service they provide, and I know if I don't like it I can leave. I just felt feedback would be appropriate.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Here's a feature request - can the forum adopt a feature like XDA-developers, where we have a toggle to choose which theme we want to run? I'm really not a fan of dark mode, and would love a way to disable it on the website but not in the system...

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Here's a feature request - can the forum adopt a feature like XDA-developers, where we have a toggle to choose which theme we want to run? I'm really not a fan of dark mode, and would love a way to disable it on the website but not in the system...
Yep

Reactions: spyguy10709

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007

The light/dark/auto theme control is at the bottom of the site page and has been since the change (although it did forget my setting once).

Reactions: spyguy10709

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008

the icons do seem like a weird choice. the iphone is such an iconic and recognizable form...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.