Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of the new Apple Watch icons. The old one was unmistakably an Apple Watch. The new one is...a $5 Disney watch. Even the iPhone. Looks like an old Samsung now. I'll get used to it though.

It's a minor thing, but more consistency would be nice. Some icons are successful in mimicry, some fail (the iPhone), and some don't appear to be trying at all, like the Watch (which isn't round, and to a lesser degree, should arguably have a honeycomb app layout as well).

The alerts are a little bit of a step back. Mousing over doesn't show the alerts anymore. But clicking the alerts sets them all to read. So you need to remember how many alerts you had before clicking and go through them manually. The old version highlighted the number you had.

I agree, this is more of a functional regression, and not as easy to dismiss as the cosmetic changes like the icons. And continuing with the legibility theme, the bug/badge isn't as easy to read as before either.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
something like this for the watch and watch apps would be great.

watch icon.png

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Icons are work in progress. We are just using what was readily available at the moment

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I’ve noticed sometimes when composing a post I can’t see the dialogue box. It appears below the keyboard (XS Max). On this occasion I couldn’t even scroll to see what I was writing. D50D17A7-7E81-432C-B804-1120A65FA9B7.png

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
Apologies if someone has raised this already. I decided not to read through 53 pages of posts to check. ?

I use dark mode on my Mac, however for web pages my eyes can't cope with too much white on black text so I prefer light mode for the pages themselves. This is fine here in the Forum, because it observes my choice in the preferences, however for the main Mac Rumors website it observes the OS setting only and (for me) goes all dark making my head spin!

If you're logged in and have the "light mode" preference chosen, could the main website observe this setting?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Apologies if someone has raised this already. I decided not to read through 53 pages of posts to check. ?

I use dark mode on my Mac, however for web pages my eyes can't cope with too much white on black text so I prefer light mode for the pages themselves. This is fine here in the Forum, because it observes my choice in the preferences, however for the main Mac Rumors website it observes the OS setting only and (for me) goes all dark making my head spin!

If you're logged in and have the "light mode" preference chosen, could the main website observe this setting?
See here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macrumors-dark-mode.2199044/post-27833649

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Is anybody else getting weird page formatting on the MacRumors Front Page using the latest version of Firefox? The page only formats properly using the Auto setting. If either the Light or Dark mode setting is used, the page layout is all out of wack. This happens on both macOS and Windows. The Light setting also doesn't set the background to Light like it should, it remains Dark. I almost always use Safari, so this really isn't much of an issue for me. I first noticed it on my Windows 10 gaming PC that I mainly use Firefox on. Tested the weird behavior on Firefox for Mac and the issue is the exact same there.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Is anybody else getting weird page formatting on the MacRumors Front Page using the latest version of Firefox? The page only formats properly using the Auto setting. If either the Light or Dark mode setting is used, the page layout is all out of wack. This happens on both macOS and Windows. The Light setting also doesn't set the background to Light like it should, it remains Dark. I almost always use Safari, so this really isn't much of an issue for me. I first noticed it on my Windows 10 gaming PC that I mainly use Firefox on. Tested the weird behavior on Firefox for Mac and the issue is the exact same there.

This very well may be a bug. Latest Firefox?

arn

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
This very well may be a bug. Latest Firefox?

arn
It could be a one-off bug. I played around with the settings on the front page from dark, to light, to auto and each time the page displayed perfectly normal and the behavior was as expected.

Firefox 69.0.2, Arch Linux

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
I found out the problem. It was an extension for Firefox called Dark Mode that was conflicting with MacRumors. All is good now. Thanks! :)

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
I don't like that the forum join date is no longer continuously visible on the side bar of members' posts.

Previously, you could just glance to the side to see if it was just another newbie troll here to spread hate.

Now, you need to either click on their side arrow to get more information, or waste time reading their screed.

Either way, the forums are slower and less enjoyable to read now.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I don't like that the forum join date is no longer continuously visible on the side bar of members' posts.

Previously, you could just glance to the side to see if it was just another newbie troll here to spread hate.

Now, you need to either click on their side arrow to get more information, or waste time reading their screed.

I'm open to changing this. It looks kinda ugly as it is expanded right now, though

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

I see no problem with clicking to find the details of the member in question should I feel the need to do such a thing; to my mind, or rather, eye, the new look is both cleaner and neater.

However, I do find the negative tone of your post intriguing; while some newbies do indeed join to spam the site, in my experience, the vast majority join because they have a query about an Apple product that they have bought.

Besides, @MagnusVonMagnum has a point; uncritical fandom and uncritical adoration can also become a bit tedious to read.

I'm open to changing this. It looks kinda ugly as it is expanded right now, though

Agreed.

Candidly, I'm not sure that it needs to be changed, or that it is asking too much from a poster to click on an arrow to find out more details about the writer of a post that they have just read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SandboxGeneral

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
The text seems larger than it was before. It seems more like a mobile site on a desktop to me now. It could just be a bad case of memory but I remember it being a lot smaller. I'm using it zoomed out to help fit more on the screen.

Have you settled on the final icons yet? I think there may have been some different ones for the first few days of the new design, but again I could be thinking of the old design.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The text seems larger than it was before. It seems more like a mobile site on a desktop to me now. It could just be a bad case of memory but I remember it being a lot smaller. I'm using it zoomed out to help fit more on the screen.

Have you settled on the final icons yet? I think there may have been some different ones for the first few days of the new design, but again I could be thinking of the old design.
I believe it’s the same.

we’re gonna use some graphics for the icons.

arn

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Interesting, some scaling issues on my end but I'm assuming that'll be ironed out overtime.

scaling? screenshot?

arn
[automerge]1575777544[/automerge]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 10.58.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 10.58.46 PM.png
    521.2 KB · Views: 100
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.