Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I'm really not a huge fan of these new icons. While they're certainly more individually distinct than the old ones, they're not very "apple".

Are you fully committed to them?
Not necessarily. But I’m surprised people have a strong feeling about them.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm not. Some people revert to weeping and gnashing of teeth over the silliest of things on the Internet and these forums.

Agreed.

As Mary Soamas (Winston Churchill's youngest daughter, and by far the most sane and balanced of all of his offspring) remarked about her brother Randolph (who was utterly spoiled and indulged by his father), "He would pick a fight with a chair in an empty room".

Or, as my brother put it, there are people who "would fight with their toe-nails."

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I'm not. Some people revert to weeping and gnashing of teeth over the silliest of things on the Internet and these forums.

Stating that one does not care for the look of the new icons is not necessarily "weeping and gnashing of teeth"... it's simply stating a fact... and apparently there is a fair amount of dislike for the new icons, and I am yet to read any such carrying on...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Stating that one does not care for the look of the new icons is not necessarily "weeping and gnashing of teeth"... it's simply stating a fact... and apparently there is a fair amount of dislike for the new icons, and I am yet to read any such carrying on...
I was going more on a broad generalization of things on the Internet, not specifically this particular topic.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I was going more on a broad generalization of things on the Internet, not specifically this particular topic.

To my mind, it is the extraordinary disconnect, or stark disproportion, between whatever the actual issue is and the degree of almost incandescent rage that it sometimes seems to provoke that is most striking, especially online, something that the internet seems amplify and facilitate.

Last edited:
Reactions: SandboxGeneral

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
All for change, however, these icons I’m not a fan of. They don’t really match well. It feels very out of place.

The old ones were perfect in my opinion.

Reactions: maflynn

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I don't mind the new icons, though the 'offset frame' works better on some than on others. The macOS, Desktops, Notebooks, Alternatives, iOS Apps, Code sharing, Apple TV, Services, Design and Graphics, Photography and Picture Gallery icons in particular looks like a rendering error rather than artistic choice. I think most could be fixed by offsetting more to the left (so it's clearer the circle mask is intentional) and/or changing the size of the icons relative to the circular frame.

Reactions: arn

Zealgr

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2019
Greece
I really like the new look with the icons. Don't pay much attention to the artistic side of them but I think it looks nice and colorful.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I don't really care, but if I do take a second to consider this [new section icon] design, I definitely think the previous style was better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.