Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should there be an iPadOS forum at MacRumors?

• Total voters

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hey there.

Due to the fact that now iPad has its own operative system, I’d like to know wether you’re going to make a new subforum for it, or not. Otherwise, if you want them all merged under the iOS 13 subforum, you could enable a prefix for the thread titles just to know if a thread is iOS 13 related, or iPadOS related at first glance.

Thank you.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I’d wager that it’s not really different enough to warrant its own sub-forum.

I’d agree with renaming the sub-forum ‘iOS and iPadOS 13’ and the addition of thread prefixes, however.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I’d wager that it’s not really different enough to warrant its own sub-forum.

I’d agree with renaming the sub-forum ‘iOS and iPadOS 13’ and the addition of thread prefixes, however.
Perhaps. At the same time it was different enough for Apple to separate it out and give it its own name after years of it all being combined under iOS.

Hym tix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I have a specific question on iPadOS.

Should I ask it in iOS > iOS 13 forum? Or is iOS 13 forum now only for iPhone and iPod touch?

Reactions: fredrik9

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2017
It’s iOS 13 with a stunt name. Only macOS deserves to have its own OS name. It’s still iPhone software put on to an iPad and extended for the larger screen. It’s not a separate OS, it’s just apple trying to make you wanna buy an iPad

Hym tix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
hah, well thats totally true. If we all agree, then I guess it will stay here in iOS.

Regardless, maybe it deserves its own sub-forum for topics specific to iPadOS.

davethorp

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Preston, Lancashire, UK
At the moment I’d agree with TinaBelcher and say its not very far divided from iOS to warrant its own forum section though that is a decision for Mac Rumours themselves

Maybe once it has matured a bit and is a bit more divergent from iOS

For now though I’d post iPadOS queries/threads in the iOS section

Reactions: Hym tix

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
iPads have needed their own forum for a long time.. even more so with iPadOS.
iPads can have their own attached keyboards, they are also drawing boards and can replace computers for many.
I own an iPad Pro, iPhone X and a 15” MacBook Pro. They are ALL totally different devices.

Reactions: jjd

Conutz

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2014
Joburg
With time it will become substantially different to iOS, so would likely warrant a sub-forum at some point.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Yes, things are now diverging from iOS so a different forum makes total sense.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
This kind of threads go into the Forum Feedback subforums, where by the way, I already opened a thread like this one days ago.

Hopefully mods and administrators will take a look at the feedback subforum and give us an official response, although I suspect things will remain as they currently are.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I think it warrants a separate forum already. Apple literally branched the operating system into two code bases with different names and it makes much more sense to have a separate forum for each.

Reactions: Klankpad
I'm not sure that there really should be one... iPad OS is essentially iOS 13 with a couple extra bells and whistles... I think it would make more sense to have the ability to designate iPad OS within an iOS post similarly to how you can designate which hardware the post is about. If you split them out, then there will be lots of posts/questions which can apply to both but will only appear in one. It divides "resources" (people) unnecessarily. If you have something which is very iPad/iPad OS specific I think it's fine to just post here in the iPad forum.

Reactions: ventmore

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
It’s iOS 13 with a stunt name.

Not at all. It's going to have it's own fork, features, roadmap and possibly versioning as they move forward - my perspective as someone with significant experience in system design/development/architecture (see next quote ...)

I think it warrants a separate forum already. Apple literally branched the operating system into two code bases with different names and it makes much more sense to have a separate forum for each.

Exactly. :)

@Weaselboy (and other staff)

I'd suggest adding an iPadOS pre-fix to the iPad area, kind of per this user (re: the underlined):

If you have something which is very iPad/iPad OS specific I think it's fine to just post here in the iPad forum.

At least for the short term, then wait and see how discrete iPadOS becomes - when we get iPadOS <some_number> and iOS <some_different_number>, and they've become clearly different roadmaps, maybe even some significant UI changes, then consider migrating it to its own "OS area".

Reactions: 0989382 and Populus

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
With time it will become substantially different to iOS, so would likely warrant a sub-forum at some point.

Right, I’m kind of amazed how many members on here are disgruntled that the iPad is going to receive its own version OS, specifically that Apple changed the terminology behind it. I mean, it’s way too early to tell how Apple will alter how it and how it differs from iOS in the future, but it doesn’t change the user experience how Apple intends it to be at the moment.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I'd suggest adding an iPadOS pre-fix to the iPad area (...)

At least for the short term, then wait and see how discrete iPadOS becomes - when we get iPadOS <some_number> and iOS <some_different_number>, and they've become clearly different roadmaps, maybe even some significant UI changes, then consider migrating it to its own "OS area".

I think this is a good idea for now. It's similar to what I said, using the prefix to differentiate the iPadOS topics, but placing them on the iPad subform. I think it makes more sense this way, and it is a good temporal solution.

Regarding the code, some people say it is the same operative system, others say that some features of iOS are not on iPadOS, and viceversa. If some developer can bring some light to this, it would be interesting to know to what extent it is iOS or nor, although I guess this doesn't have a black or white answer.

I honestly don't know how much code iOS 13 and iPadOS share, that's why I was confused about what to do, but I think the user experience is pretty different, especially from now on.

Last edited:

Klankpad

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2018
When are we gonna see a new section on the forum for ipados, it shoud have his own and not be part of ios13 anymore

Klankpad

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2018
Why would it be bad to create a new section for it, I dont have an iphone so most things related to that subject I dont need to see and yes you can filter but thats a drag, I just want to click on the ipados section and bam see what I need without much hassle... It would not hurt ios13 users on Iphone if things related to ipados are in a different section would it ?

Reactions: JD2015
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.