Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewhofan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2017
After upgrading from Sierra to High Sierra on MBP late 2011 with Crucial SSD with APFS, Mac Mail has a visual bug when displaying email message that are included in any Conversation view. They Just show black. see attached image.

My MacBook Pro has 2 graphics cards, one in-built and another dedicated GPU for software that requires higher performance. The problem only occurs with the in-built Intel HD Graphics 3000
and also with specific display colour profiles.

I found that turning off 'Automatic graphic switching' in system settings so my mac uses the PCIe GPU (AMD Radeon HD 6750M) instead of the In-built GPU (Intel HD Graphics 3000) cures the bug but I cannot keep it on this setting as it causes higher battery drain.

Changing display profile fixes the problem when using the Intel HD 3000 gpu but only 3 out of 11 display profiles work which doesn’t include my Colorimeter calibrated profile which I need to use for colour correcting photos and design work. See attached images of display profiles that DO and DO NOT work plus image of Mail with and without the bug.

The problem does not occur when the mac is running in Safe Mode.

Things I have tried:
1. I have run Profile First Aid in ColorSync and all profiles are OK.
2. Reset PRAM
3. Reset SMC

This is not a major bug but an annoying one nonetheless which I can work around for now. If anyone has the same problem or might know what may be causing this or other things to try, let me know.

Thanks

Display Profiles.jpg
Mail Correct View.png
Mail with Bug.png

Last edited:

W1ll0w

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2017
UK
Yeah I'm getting the same issue. Changing colour profiles or having the ColorSync Utility open doesn't seem to do anything though.

It doesn't black out all of my emails and it just seems completely random which emails it picks to screw up! Really annoying actually.

Attachments

• mail bug.png
    mail bug.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 923

thewhofan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2017
Yeah I'm getting the same issue. Changing colour profiles or having the ColorSync Utility open doesn't seem to do anything though.

It doesn't black out all of my emails and it just seems completely random which emails it picks to screw up! Really annoying actually.
What Mac do you have (type / year) and also what GPU's are in your mac? Did you do a clean install or over the top upgrade?

Is it not just affecting emails that are grouped together in Conversations?

I found that my problem is related to the in-built GPU (Intel HD 3000) because when Automatic graphic switching is turned off and my Mac uses the AMD Radeon GPU the problem goes away. Also, the problem went away when using Affinity Photo software or ColorSync, both of which will automatically choose to use the AMD Radeon GPU.

W1ll0w

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2017
UK
What Mac do you have (type / year) and also what GPU's are in your mac? Did you do a clean install or over the top upgrade?

Is it not just affecting emails that are grouped together in Conversations?

I found that my problem is related to the in-built GPU (Intel HD 3000) because when Automatic graphic switching is turned off and my Mac uses the AMD Radeon GPU the problem goes away. Also, the problem went away when using Affinity Photo software or ColorSync, both of which will automatically choose to use the AMD Radeon GPU.

Attached my specs. I did an over the top upgrade.

Ah upon closer inspection that's exactly the case.

Ah ok. It's a Mac Mini so no dedicated GPU unfortunately :(

Attachments

• specs.png
    specs.png
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,289

thewhofan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2017
Attached my specs. I did an over the top upgrade.

Ah upon closer inspection that's exactly the case.

Ah ok. It's a Mac Mini so no dedicated GPU unfortunately :(
Might be that High Sierra is not fully compatible with that graphics card.
My MacBook Pro is about the same age and spec.

One thing you might want to try is run through the calibration within system settings. There have been reports of that fixing the bug for some people.

Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 12.11.34.png Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 12.13.02.jpg

W1ll0w

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2017
UK
How much RAM do you have?

4GB is known to cause issues with Sandy Bridge systems running High Sierra, upgrading to 8GB fixes them.

16GB
[doublepost=1507116134][/doublepost]

One thing you might want to try is run through the calibration within system settings. There have been reports of that fixing the bug for some people.

View attachment 723366 View attachment 723367

Ran calibration and it's fixed! Thanks very much!

nachoms

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2017
this is my mac... and i have the same problem... i made downgrade to sierra because y really use the mail app.... please if some one can fixed completly

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2017-10-04 a la(s) 11.22.58.png
    Captura de pantalla 2017-10-04 a la(s) 11.22.58.png
    74.3 KB · Views: 675

thewhofan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2017
this is my mac... and i have the same problem... i made downgrade to sierra because y really use the mail app.... please if some one can fixed completly
The problem seems to be with High Sierra and Intel HD Graphics 3000.

See my post number 6 for possible fix. Worked for the other guy.

nachoms

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2017
WORK FOR ME TOO!!!... thanks a lot!!!!... there is definitely a problem that apple should solve.

thewhofan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2017
WORK FOR ME TOO!!!... thanks a lot!!!!... there is definitely a problem that apple should solve.
Glad this helped.

Yes, Apple need to properly fix this as the calibration method of fixing the bug doesn't work for me as I use my own Colorimeter calibrated profile which introduces the bug but also the Mac calibration tool is broken for me and doesn't run through all of the steps involved and creates a horrible looking profile.

Hopefully more people that have a mac with the Intel HD 3000 gpu using there own custom display profiles have the same problem and Apple become aware of it. Otherwise I will be going back to El Captian or Sierra.

Reactions: rthomp

Eadgar

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2017
After upgrading from Sierra to High Sierra on MBP late 2011 with Crucial SSD with APFS, Mac Mail has a visual bug when displaying email message that are included in any Conversation view. They Just show black. see attached image.

My MacBook Pro has 2 graphics cards, one in-built and another dedicated GPU for software that requires higher performance. The problem only occurs with the in-built Intel HD Graphics 3000

I found that turning off 'Automatic graphic switching' in system settings so my mac uses the PCIe GPU (AMD Radeon HD 6750M) instead of the In-built GPU (Intel HD Graphics 3000) cures the bug but I cannot keep it on this setting as it causes higher battery drain.

Changing display profile fixes the problem when using the Intel HD 3000 gpu but only 3 out of 11 display profiles work which doesn’t include my Colorimeter calibrated profile which I need to use for colour correcting photos and design work. See attached images of display profiles that DO and DO NOT work plus image of Mail with and without the bug.

Things I have tried:
2. Reset PRAM
3. Reset SMC

This is not a major bug but an annoying one nonetheless which I can work around for now. If anyone has the same problem or might know what may be causing this or other things to try, let me know.

Thanks

View attachment 723224 View attachment 723225 View attachment 723226
[doublepost=1507142656][/doublepost]Same black email problem w/my MBP 2011 w/Intel graphic 3000. Genius tried dumping all the Preferences and that worked for a day. This problem ONLY occurs if I reply to an email . . . it goes black after sending. Also if someone replies to an email sent to them, their reply comes in black. I can use Comman-R to see what they wrote but no pix are visible...only text.
Am trying to re-install Mail and would like to try & Re-install Sierra mail. Am using a 500 GB SSD with 16 GB RAM . . . also have found that ICC profiles are not as accurate as with Sierra. I am frankly not realizing why these factors occur.

thewhofan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2017
[doublepost=1507142656][/doublepost]Same black email problem w/my MBP 2011 w/Intel graphic 3000. Genius tried dumping all the Preferences and that worked for a day. This problem ONLY occurs if I reply to an email . . . it goes black after sending. Also if someone replies to an email sent to them, their reply comes in black. I can use Comman-R to see what they wrote but no pix are visible...only text.
Am trying to re-install Mail and would like to try & Re-install Sierra mail. Am using a 500 GB SSD with 16 GB RAM . . . also have found that ICC profiles are not as accurate as with Sierra. I am frankly not realizing why these factors occur.
Hi Edgar,
If you reply to an email or receive a reply from someone then this becomes what is known in Mail as a Conversation and this is the basis of my original post. All emails that are in a Conversation view are bugged and so far it seems to affect macs with Intel HD 3000 graphics. Are you able to post your mac specs from 'About this mac' under apple menu (block your serial number first)

Eadgar

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2017
First of all . . . the 'problem' w/black emails and replies seems to be fixed after following the advice to calibrate using the in-the-Mac calibrator. I do run a 2nd monitor, which is an NEC 30" and normally calibrate with an EyeOne MDSV sensor .... That calibration seems to harbor those black email glitches.

My MacBook Pro is
13", late 2011
2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB's 1600 MHz DDR3 memory
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

thewhofan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2017
First of all . . . the 'problem' w/black emails and replies seems to be fixed after following the advice to calibrate using the in-the-Mac calibrator. I do run a 2nd monitor, which is an NEC 30" and normally calibrate with an EyeOne MDSV sensor .... That calibration seems to harbor those black email glitches.

My MacBook Pro is
13", late 2011
2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB's 1600 MHz DDR3 memory
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
That's my problem too. I calibrate my MacBook Pro display using SpyderPro5 with colorimeter so have a custom profile which shows the black emails but it's not just my custom profile that does it. As you can see from the attached pic in the original post only 3 out of 11 display profiles work as indicated by the green ticks and red crosses.

Could you do me big favour and open up Mail with the emails that you were displaying black then while viewing them cycle through your display profiles within system settings and see if another profiles harbour the black emails.

Thanks

chazwaterman

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2017

View attachment 723366 View attachment 723367

Created an account just to thank you! I was on the phone with Apple for almost an hour, and all they could tell me to do was to reinstall the OS for the 4th time...

Mac Mini mid 2011
2.3 Core i5
16g DDR3
Home-made fusion drive

My early 2011 MBP with basically the same setup wasn't giving ANY issues at all, so I had assumed it had something to do with the fusion drive. And I did NOT want to do the Terminal-Fu to separate them...

Thanks again!

Reactions: thewhofan

thewhofan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2017
Created an account just to thank you! I was on the phone with Apple for almost an hour, and all they could tell me to do was to reinstall the OS for the 4th time...

Mac Mini mid 2011
2.3 Core i5
16g DDR3
Home-made fusion drive

My early 2011 MBP with basically the same setup wasn't giving ANY issues at all, so I had assumed it had something to do with the fusion drive. And I did NOT want to do the Terminal-Fu to separate them...

Thanks again!
Good to hear.

Out of curiosity, what graphics card does your early 2011 MPB have?

spiffster01

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2017
Fixed my problem as well using Calibrate on the two monitors I am using, same "Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB" as others with the problem!
Thanks!

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB

Muratore

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2017

Things I have tried:
2. Reset PRAM
3. Reset SMC

Thanks

View attachment 723224 View attachment 723225 View attachment 723226
This worked for me!!!

MBP Early 2011 Intel HD graphics 3000 515 MB

thanks a lot :)

fisharefriends9

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2017
Fixed my problem as well using Calibrate on the two monitors I am using, same "Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB" as others with the problem!
Thanks!

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB

I too was having this problem on my early 2011 MacBook Pro but only when using an external monitor and only when emails were being displayed as threads. Running the calibration assistant in display settings with the default options fixed the problem for me.

Confederate Rose

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2017
Apple told me they never heard of this problem, so they told me to reinstall OSX. So glad I found this site to provide me with solutions! All I had to do was calibrate my screen as instructed here. I had the same random issues with black emails when threading messages and photos were turning black, just as others above experienced: MacBook Pro is from 2011 and external monitor is new and calibrating them did the trick. So thank you very for the brilliant advice.

thewhofan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2017
Apple told me they never heard of this problem, so they told me to reinstall OSX. So glad I found this site to provide me with solutions! All I had to do was calibrate my screen as instructed here. I had the same random issues with black emails when threading messages and photos were turning black, just as others above experienced: MacBook Pro is from 2011 and external monitor is new and calibrating them did the trick. So thank you very for the brilliant advice.
Glad the work around fixed the problem for you. It's a shame that Apple seem to be unaware of this problem which means they won't actually work on a proper fix. Until they decide to issue a bug fix this problem still exists for people like me who use custom calibrated display profiles using a colorimeter.

Confederate Rose

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2017
Bummer that folks are still experiencing calibration problems. I did find more glitches occurring with regard to calibration, colors I select on the screen do not print accurately on my Epson, they do not match the screen, even though my printer software is all updated. And my bold titles in color and black and white look like ink smeared all over the screen in print-preview mode, but the printing is fine -- except certain colors just will not hold in print as they look on the screen for word docs and PDFs.

Not sure why Apple does not track complaints and address them. That would be logical for me. They keep trying to survey me then ignore the survey feedback and seem to ignore complaints. Hopefully, for all of us, 2018 will bring resolution to these issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.