Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tatty27

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2014
Staffs UK
I had this issue but then I clicked on Inbox at the top (next to the mailboxes icon below the get mail button in the top left corner) and it refreshed the list of emails and revealed 2 unread messages with dodgy attachments that should have been flagged as either spam or infected.

I deleted the 2 messages which resolved the problem.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
It happens to me fairly regularly. I have five email accounts and sometimes there will be no unread messages in my main 'all inboxes' part but if I delve into each account I'll find the unread messages.

Dorothykhouse

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2015
If I close my email account to get rid of the indication on the icon of unread messages when there are none, will I lose the messages already there that I am saving.

mlibrescu

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
California
I know this is an old thread, but this just happened to me and I thought I might be able to help someone else.

My Yahoo Junk mail folder showed there was one unread message, but I couldn't see any message there. Here's how I fixed it:

I clicked on my Inbox (at the very top), so I could see all my messages. I took an UNREAD message that I didn't need and dragged it into the Yahoo Junk folder. The Yahoo Junk folder then showed 2 unread messages, and the invisible message magically appeared. I selected Erase Junk Mail and both messages were deleted. Problem gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.