Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
A complete novice question, so please be kind and patient. If I wanted to purchase wired speakers and make them Airplay-able, what hardware would I need to buy to make that happen?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
A complete novice question, so please be kind and patient. If I wanted to purchase wired speakers and make them Airplay-able, what hardware would I need to buy to make that happen?
Any old airport express will let you do that.

There are also ways to do it with a raspberry pi if you are more technically inclined.

I think there are various other devices that allow it as well, including various amps/receivers, etc.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
Any old airport express will let you do that.

There are also ways to do it with a raspberry pi if you are more technically inclined.

I think there are various other devices that allow it as well, including various amps/receivers, etc.
Got it. So how do I plug an airport express into wired speakers if they don’t have an audio in jack?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Got it. So how do I plug an airport express into wired speakers if they don’t have an audio in jack?
If your speakers don’t have a jack or a mini or RCA cable, then they might be expecting line in. You may need some sort of amplifier in between the source (your airport express) and the speakers.

How do you normally connect to the speakers?

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
If your speakers don’t have a jack or a mini or RCA cable, then they might be expecting line in. You may need some sort of amplifier in between the source (your airport express) and the speakers.

How do you normally connect to the speakers?
Well, I don't own them yet ;) but I have been considering buying two wired bookshelf speakers but did not know what I would need to Airplayify them. An airplay-capable amplifier?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Well, I don't own them yet ;) but I have been considering buying two wired bookshelf speakers but did not know what I would need to Airplayify them. An airplay-capable amplifier?
If you’re talking about regular bookshelf speakers, the kind you connect with speaker wire, then you would need some sort of amp/receiver that supports AirPlay. Here are some:

The alternative would be to use an airport express, plug an amp into it, and then plug the speakers into the amp. (Would be a cheaper way to go). An amp like this would probably work fine:

Kinter K2020A+ Limited Edition Original Tripath TA2020-020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier with 12V 5A Power Supply Black

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.