Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FilmIndustryGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2015
Manhattan Beach, CA
I use a mac mini 2018 for 4k content. not much color grading. slapping footage or FX on the timeline takes moments to render and isn't a bog turn off but im wondering if getting an egpu makes sense or if the mini is almost just as good on its own.

I read somewhere that the rx 570 tested very well with fcpx and wanted to know if the 5700 in a egpu makes sense for my needs or if the difference is too small to notice between base mini, rx 570 and 5700

is there some metal update that will make more use of the gpu? just wondering if i should spend $700 and have a loud box on my desk versus having a small silent mini

i dont play games. i only use fcpx, sometimes motion, sometimes Adobe AE

thanks

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
If you don’t use it often it might not be worth it to be honest.

Also, the 5700 is unsupported in macOS, we’re still waiting on drivers from AMD and for Apple to integrate them.

(This is why I think it’s actually a great idea to buy one now and wait to use it, since once support is added to macOS people will buy them up in droves and increase demand/price)

Edit:
The difference will definitely be noticeable. Night and day from the integrated graphics.

FilmIndustryGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2015
Manhattan Beach, CA
If you don’t use it often it might not be worth it to be honest.

Also, the 5700 is unsupported in macOS, we’re still waiting on drivers from AMD and for Apple to integrate them.

(This is why I think it’s actually a great idea to buy one now and wait to use it, since once support is added to macOS people will buy them up in droves and increase demand/price)
which one would you buy for fcpx, motion use? 5700 or 5700 XT?

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
Once it’s supported, the XT.

Based on this site, you get 15%-20% more performance for a 14% increase in price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.