Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

floridienne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2018
So, I had to wipe my computer after my password no longer worked (son's name and DOB - not likely to forget that). Now that I am up and running, there are several apps that open at log -in. I've researched - some say to go to Sys. settings, general, log in item - only one is listed.

I also. tried going to users and groups I see only two fields - my name and guest user in one field. the other. simply has 'automatically login as' and 'network account server.'

Then I tried using control and right click with an app such as numbers. The only thing that was checked of the three options was' keep in dock. There is no checkmark next to 'Open at login.

I have also opened chrome because it's one that automatically opens and tried to look in at settings but I can't find anything there there doesn't seem to be anything in the apps settings that will keep them from opening and when I login.

Before I had to Restore to factory default, nothing was opening at login unless I wanted it to and that was simply WhatsApp I cannot find how to solve this. Sorry

Attachments

• open at lpg in.jpg
    open at lpg in.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 93
  • users and groups.jpg
    users and groups.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Excel options.jpg
    Excel options.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 46

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Apps that are open when you log out or restart open again at login by default. Next time this happens, quit those apps. Then check again.

floridienne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2018
Apps that are open when you log out or restart open again at login by default. Next time this happens, quit those apps. Then check again.
Thanks! I will try that- it is so simple and hopefully it works. I never had to quit them before, but thanks for responding. I'll report back

floridienne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2018
Thanks! I will try that- it is so simple and hopefully it works. I never had to quit them before, but thanks for responding. I'll report back
I did that but I also round the real issue - when logging out, I had a check mark for "reopen all windows at start up. I unchecked the box and now all is working.

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Why is it that some people still mixup/get confused between iOS and macOS?

well "i" means "an Apple product" for many people, so iOS = Apple OS, Mac is an Apple product, and remember how Steve Jobs said during the first iPhone presentation that "iPhone runs OS X".

• Haha
Reactions: winxmac

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
well "i" means "an Apple product" for many people, so iOS = Apple OS, Mac is an Apple product, and remember how Steve Jobs said during the first iPhone presentation that "iPhone runs OS X".
You should have read my latest comment (prior to this) before commenting...

iOS, or rather, iPhoneOS was based on OS X back in 2007, but they became very distinct just a few years later...

iPhones, iPod touch, and iPads all run iOS until the release of iPadOS 13 in 2019...

What devices run iOS now? iPhones and iPod touch... What devices run macOS now? MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro, iMac, iMac Pro, and others that I may have missed...

There is a separate forum for iOS and an entirely different forum for macOS...

This was initially posted on iOS 14 but was moved to macOS 14 through the goodness of the moderators...
Anyway, thanks for the laugh...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.