Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m.wttfld

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2019
Germany
I know it was always there, but didn't thought that it's getting so much worse with dark mode enabled. Some people say they don't really notice smearing when scrolling. So I wanna ask you: Whats your experience with Dark mode and OLED smearing on iOS 13?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I'm scrolling up and down in messages in Dark Mode right now and am not seeing any smearing at all on my Xs.

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Yeah I see it but guess we’ll have to get used to it. Most prominent where black meets grey (the month separator under ‘workouts’ within the activity app is a good example)

Reactions: StevenRCE0

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Care to show a picture? Such threads without any pictures to help us see the issue are not very useful.

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
Just prior to my XS I owned a Galaxy S10e. NOTHING I've seen on my XS approaches the black crush/OLED smearing I saw on my S10e. Not too worried.

Reactions: matrix07

AMTYVLE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Florida
This can be fixed with a Software Update. I owned a Samsung Galaxy S4 back in the day. It had massive black smearing when scrolling on black backgrounds and Samsung ended up pushing out an OTA update to fix it, and it did fix it.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
low brightness, not full brightness
Tried that. A little bit, but I'm not sure that what I was seeing was not an optical illusion of the white box moving across the black screen. Regardless, I don't use my phone on low brightness and what I saw was no biggy to me. But I get that some find this irritating. I just don't find it noticeable or irritating.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Maybe my eyes can track better, or something. On my XS Max, that animated image looks perfectly fine.
It's not your sight being good then (more like it's less sensitive), cause you can't see the pixels lagging behind when turning off/on due to the scrolling.

I stopped using the Apollo reddit app due to the insane OLED smear going on in there. It's insufferable to me, that's why I was hoping for a darkish-grey dark mode similar to macOS instead (or at least the choice to pick between black and grey for dark mode).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.