Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
As the title says, these are the traffic light buttons that many of you remember, and some of you want back.

This was created out of pure boredom, and I like it how it turned out in the end.

Here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s96nwvd86vezulw/SystemAppearance.car?dl=0

The file goes to /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemAppearance(right click - "Show Package Contents)/Contents/Resources. Just paste it there, but keep the copy of original file, so that you can restore it if you want.

The buttons are for non graphite, default (light) mode only. If you show interest, I can create buttons for Dark mode also.

I hope you enjoy it. :)

Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 2.07.22 PM.png

WARNING: I do not take any responsibility for the system damage that might happen. Modifying system files shall be done only when you know what you are exactly doing. If you are afraid that something might go wrong, please, do Time Machine backup OR do not change anything at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Project Alice

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
I will be providing buttons for graphite color also, in next few days.

I think I have included buttons for Retina Macs also, but I am not sure, as I do not have any Retina Macs to test on. So, if you find that buttons are not working or are looking low res/ugly, please tell me.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
It doesn't seem to let me replace the file in /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemAppearance, perhaps due to lack of permissions. Any way to solve it?

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
Oh, my... I completely forgot to mention that rootlless, or "System Integrity Protection" must be disabled before tinkering with system files. Kornelis, thank you for providing the instructions, but i will still write here for everyone to see.

Before everything, if you want to simply check if the SIP is enabled on your Mac, open Terminal and type the following command:

Code:
csrutil status

It will tell you if your Mac has SIP turned on or not. If the SIP is enabled, do the following.

Restart your Mac. Immediately, when your Mac starts turning on again, press and hold Command + R button.

Wait for the progress bar to finish. When it's done, you will see Recovery Mode screen.

On the Menu Bar, click on the Utilities option, and choose Terminal.

In the Terminal, type
Code:
csrutil disable

When finished, restart your Mac, and proceed. If you like command line, just type
Code:
sudo reboot
:)

If you wish to return System Integrity Protection back ON, you shall do everything mentioned above, just instead type
Code:
csrutil enable

And that is all.
[doublepost=1546536845][/doublepost]
Did you disable SIP first? See here how:
http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/05/disable-rootless-system-integrity-protection-mac-os-x/

@StellarVixen, I'm looking forward to traffic light buttons for dark mode also. Thanks.
I will see to it, I do not generally like how these buttons look with Dark Mode, but if you want it, I will make them.

I have barely been home for the past several days, I will resume the work soon.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.