Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
So far I know there is a ton of threads like this but since I am not in the US and most of the threads use this region as a source for the needed stuff I'd like to make sure I have it all correct.

My son's Air is from 2015 and a mere 128GB, needless to mention the drive is always full and it's about time I get him an upgrade, at the beginning I wanted to go for the Transcend Jet Drive 520 250GB but even tho price decreased a lot here in Italy it still costs 135 euros, the solution looks neat and painless not to say you get the enclosure to use the old SSD but it all comes to a cost.

I figured that an Intel 760P 500GB SSD costs a little less than that but gives twice the space and that with an adapter it should (...) do fine, adapter wise I seem to understand it takes an M-2 to nVME but here it's where I am very confused since this is all new to me, I can see these on our local Amazon, would you please be so kind and tell me which is the right one to fit the Intel (or another brand) SSD into the Air's slot?

Adapter #1
Adapter #2
Adapter #3

My guess is that #3 should fit the bill but since it is such a small item I wouldn't mind to buy it from abroad and have it shipped to here if you point me out a reliable source.

Last question, once I remove the stock SSD from the Air how can I utilize it as an external storage unit? It would come handy when in mobility and taking photos with my cameras rather than to have to carry an external 2.5" drive as I do when I find myself in this situation, I understand it will take another adapter (probably one of the first two listed above) and an enclosure, again, any solution you could point me at?

Thank you so much for your patience and apologies for a reiterated question

Giovanni

makinao

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
I'm in the Philippines, and I got this for my wife's 2015 MBA. You should be able to get something like this where you are.

https://www.lazada.com.ph/-i274282637-s402819436.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1

I also got this so I could clone the stock MBA SSD to a 500gb Crucial P1 SSD in this enclosure.

https://www.lazada.com.ph/-i286622377-s454962178.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1

Cloning with Carbon Copy Cloner went without a hitch.

The stock MBA SSD won't fit in any off the shelf enclosure, so just put it away in case things don't go right.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.