Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robininscarf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2019
This last week, my Macbook Air Early 2015 didn't respond to the power button for the first time. It took a 15 minute battle with the power button. After that, whenever I shut down my notebook, I had the same problem. The power button didn't answer and the screen was wholly black, so I learned from the last time, started doing SMC reset and it always worked luckily. Though, it's scary when your notebook doesn't want to turn on the normal way and there can be a day when it won't answer to SMC reset. What could be wrong with it?
ps: Ok, it turns out it actually doesn't turn on when the charger is plugged in. SMC reset works because I hit the power button the moment the light changes. Except that, the only time the device turns on is when unplugged. For the reverse situation, someone else's mac was only being able to turn on when plugged in, it's been said that it was corrosion due to liquid spill. Is it the same case for me? Or could it be simply battery? I replaced the battery not long ago and I had also trouble with liquids 2 years a

Last edited:

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If possible, remove the bottom of the case, disconnect the battery, wait about 15 minutes, reconnect, connect charger, SMC reset, and boot. Hopefully, it will return to normal.

robininscarf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2019
Thank you very much. It's not possible right now but I'll try this the first time I got the chance.

robininscarf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2019
Ok, it turns out it actually doesn't turn on when the charger is plugged in. SMC reset works because I hit the power button the moment the light changes. Except that, the only time the device turns on is when unplugged. For the reverse situation, someone else's mac was only being able to turn on when plugged in, it's been said that it was corrosion due to liquid spill. Is it the same case for me? Or could it be simply battery? I replaced the battery not long ago and I had also trouble with liquids 2 years ago.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.