Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Hi,
I did get my MBA 2019 yesterday and I did as always, I did download Catalina and created USB install of it. Wiped the SSD of the MBA and BAM! SecureBoot was activated as I do understand it so I can't install the OS from USB.

Well I thought then I can re-install with the Internet Recovery (shift+option+cmd+r) no luck I do have the following issues.
1. Yesterday it did not start and I did get the error code 2002F so I did change the DNS in the router to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
2. I'm trying again and still the same issue, yes I have made sure that the DHCP in the router are pushing out Google DNS IP.
4. And now today;

When I'm booting with Internet Recovery and choosing my Wifi everything seems OK, but it's stuck with the spinning globe and the fans are running at high speed. I have been waiting for 2h now and still nothing.
I have also tried to share internet connection from my iPhone to the MBA 2019 and I do get the same issue.

How can I fix this? Should I just send it back? This are driving me crazy.

Last edited:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
When I'm booting with Internet Recovery and choosing my Wifi everything seems OK, but it's stuck with the spinning globe and the fans are running at high speed. I have been waiting for 2h now and still nothing.
Be patient. Before it can boot it must download an operating system. You apparently have a slow network connection. Don't interrupt it or else you'll be starting over. Walk away or leave the house if you must.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Be patient. Before it can boot it must download an operating system. You apparently have a slow network connection. Don't interrupt it or else you'll be starting over. Walk away or leave the house if you must.

I got 250/250Mbit and according to my gateway the MBA has only downloaded 487 B in 57 min.
So I can't really buy that my internet connection is the issue - but I have asked my wife to buy a thunderbolt - ethernet connection so let's see if my wifi is the issue.

If this don't work I'll return the machine I should never put down this much time on a brand new machine,.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Internet recovery will work. Be patient. I don't understand your comment about putting down on a new machine. The computer was fine until you wiped the operating system.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Internet recovery will work. Be patient. I don't understand your comment about putting down on a new machine. The computer was fine until you wiped the operating system.

I guess that I did not explain it correctly I did not wipe the system I was going to update it.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
You said, "Wiped the SSD of the MBA..." Did you mean something else?

Yes, I did wipe it as I always have done before a update. But I guess that it was my fault that Apple have locked the users out from re-installing the Macbook with T2 chip. In my mind and I know many others Apple should announce this really important change as Apple them self did recommend this way to re-install macOS before the T2 devices I guess. Well, I'll try the ethernet dongle and if that's not working I'll just return the MBA for a new one.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
There is nothing wrong with reinstalling the operating system on a new Mac, though I don't see the point. But your mistake I think was that you reformatted the drive, which killed all of the partitions. Had you simply erased the boot partition, the recovery partition would have remained intact.

As I said earlier, be patient and let the machine boot from internet recovery. You'll be fine.

You get support from Apple when you buy a new machine. Because there is nothing wrong with the machine I think a more honest approach would be to explain what you did and have Apple reinstall the OS rather than returning it.

Reactions: revmacian

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Yes, I did wipe it as I always have done before a update. But I guess that it was my fault that Apple have locked the users out from re-installing the Macbook with T2 chip. In my mind and I know many others Apple should announce this really important change as Apple them self did recommend this way to re-install macOS before the T2 devices I guess.
Please don't blame Apple, the machine was fine before you wiped it. This issue is of your own making.

Well, I'll try the ethernet dongle and if that's not working I'll just return the MBA for a new one.
You might want to change your habits, while you're at it, or you will be wasting a lot of time.

Reactions: chabig

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Please don't blame Apple, the machine was fine before you wiped it. This issue is of your own making.

You might want to change your habits, while you're at it, or you will be wasting a lot of time.

Yes it was my misstake but it's now by my own making as this is the way to re-format / re-install computers PC and Mac's before the T2 chip. And yes from now I'll not do it this way as it's not working anymore to do so.

But still I'm blaming Apple that they have not notice anyone about it - I did google this now and it seem that the MBP with T2 get bricked if your wipe it.
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=macbook+pro+t2+bricked&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I have many Apple devices and computers and all of them are working fine and I do understand that this is not the right way to do it anymore - I'm just saying that Apple should announce it as its getting serious consicvenses

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Just curious—what were you booted from when you wiped the SSD? Surely not an external drive or you’d have known about macOS boot security, and surely not the SSD because you can’t format the drive you’re booted from. Is there something you’re not telling us?

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Just curious—what were you booted from when you wiped the SSD? Surely not an external drive or you’d have known about macOS boot security, and surely not the SSD because you can’t format the drive you’re booted from. Is there something you’re not telling us?

Just boot it in to recovery mode (cmd+r) and then choose disk utility and there you can wipe the disk.
No, I did not know about secure boot.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Just boot it in to recovery mode (cmd+r) and then choose disk utility and there you can wipe the disk.
No, I did not know about secure boot.
Then your recovery partition must be intact—no need for internet recovery! Boot it again with cmd-R and reinstall macOS.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Then your recovery partition must be intact—no need for internet recovery! Boot it again with cmd-R and reinstall macOS.

Yes, I have been spoken with AppleCare now and they are deciding to replace the unit because it sounds like hardware issue. We did try many things etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.