Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Has anyone found a reputable docking solution that can deliver 96 watts or 100 watts of power for use with the new 16" MBP?

Making this first post a Wiki so it can be updated with links in the future.

----

AUKEY CB-C71 (AKA: Unity Link PD III 8-in-1 USB-C Hub with 100W PD)
Warning: Only provides 60W, despite advertising 100W passthrough

CalDigit TS3 Plus (TS3+)
Provides 87W via firmware update

Dell WD19TB
Only provides 90W
Note: See #266 and #287

Plugable TBT3-UDZ
Provides 100W peak, 96W continuous. Released 11/10/2020

Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650 (GPU-650WOC-TB3)
Provides 100W power, but is an eGPU not really a docking solution
Note: Only the OC model provides 100W power, the non-OC model only provides 87W

Targus DOCK570USZ
USB-C Universal Quad 4K (QV4K) Docking Station with 100W Power Delivery
Note: See #130 and #146

HP G2 Dock 120W (works with and without audio module)
Provides 100W power over Thunderbolt. Only one display output can be used at a time (otherwise, your displays will be mirrored). For two displays, connect one display to one of the DP ports, and the second one to to the downstream TB3 port (front) . If adapter is needed it must be active.
Firmware update process requires Windows 10 (Bootcamp is fine)!

Vantec Link USB-C Multi-Function Hub with Power Delivery (CB-CU301MDSH)
Works great for my MBP 16

Last edited:

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I don't know that I'd bother as, in general, I don't expect to use anywhere near that amount of power in normal daily operations.

TriApple

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
It's a great question though in regards to eGPU and power passthrough. I'm holding out to see any reviews of such.

btraill

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Shoot, never thought to think about this.

Will the CalDigit TS3 Plus effectively dock the new MBP 16"? Was using it for my previous 2019 15".

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Basically looking for a dock that can fully power the MBP 16" with 96W (like an Apple charger) and offer "desktop replacement" style solutions to connect monitor(s), external storage, peripherals, possible eGPU, etc.

The closest I've seen that even might come close is the Targus DOCK190USZ, but it's out of stock and not sure it really meets the needs/specs.
[automerge]1573741919[/automerge]
Will the CalDigit TS3 Plus effectively dock the new MBP 16"?

I've reached out to CalDigit to confirm, but my understanding is this will only work if you're OK with the battery being partially drained during use. It only provides 85W of charging power.

Reactions: btraill

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I've reached out to CalDigit to confirm, but my understanding is this will only work if you're OK with the battery being partially drained during use. It only provides 85W of charging power.

Not really. The power brick is designed to provide adequate power under even the most intense load - say screen at 100% while the CPU and GPU are both being maxed and the battery is at 20% so receiving full charging power.

99% of the time most users won’t be in that situation, and 85W will be fine.*

*Now Apple tends to handle lower power chargers better than PC makers who sometimes prevent charging at all if the attached charger doesn’t meet their spec. I presume the new MBP will continue this behavior.

Reactions: bhodinut

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Not really. The power brick is designed to provide adequate power under even the most intense load - say screen at 100% while the CPU and GPU are both being maxed and the battery is at 20% so receiving full charging power.

99% of the time most users won’t be in that situation, and 85W will be fine.*

*Now Apple tends to handle lower power chargers better than PC makers who sometimes prevent charging at all if the attached charger doesn’t meet their spec. I presume the new MBP will continue this behavior.

I have a 65 Watt brick from a 2015 13 that I bring along with me to charge my 2015 15 and it charges it up to 100% when I'm mobile. In general, unless you're doing CPU and GPU intensive workloads, you're not going to need anywhere near the rated power of the power brick.

I carry the 13 brick because it's a bit lighter and a bit smaller. And I don't have to unplug my four 85-watt bricks.

Reactions: bhodinut

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Just heard from CalDigit support and they "are working diligently to determine the best solution that will fit all Mac-based computer systems, including the new 16” MacBook Pro and its 96W power supply."

Both of their current dock products offer 85W charging.

mtnmac26

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2016
It looks like even the UltraFine 5K Display won't be able to appropriately power the new 16" MBP. Apple recently updated the product description with "For optimal performance on the 16-inch MacBook Pro, connect to power using the MacBook Pro’s 96W adapter."

The 5K display supports "full-speed charging up to 94W" according to LG.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Nearly all monitors and docks only offer "up to 85W charging" solutions at this time.

I've reached out to support for several manufacturers and CalDigit was the only that actually got back to me so far (and was fairly transparent with their 85W limitations).

Apple's Pro XDR display has advertised 96W host charging since its announcement this summer, but that's not going to be a solution for the vast majority of people looking for a dock.

Reactions: Trey M

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
The new Dell UP2720Q is listed at 90W maximum charging, available in mid January 2020.

The Razer Core X and Core X Chroma are advertising 100W charging via USB-C. If you're also looking for an eGPU solution, these may be worth looking into.

The Sonnet eGFX is only 87W charging for the GPU-550W-TB3 model. The GPU-650WOC-TB3 model is advertising up to 100W charging. This might be a replacement or newer model because there are conflicts mentioning 87W in several places. This chart specifically shows 100W:

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 4.42.10 PM.png

Technical note for the docks offering pass through. Most of them take ~15W for the device itself, then pass through the input minus ~15W. 100W input would result in 85W available for USB-C PD on the majority of those devices. Unless someone can find a USB-C charger that provides ~115W (do not believe they exist right now), these may not be better options than the current crop of ~85W-87W devices out there certified for 15" MBP 2019.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
After the preliminary research that I did yesterday, I came to the conclusion that there are no docks on the market yet that can supply the power needed to power and charge the 16-inch MBP. The highest I ever saw was 85 W.

I think the tech is still too new and with time, there should be docks available to power and charge the new 16-inch MBP. But currently, I think we will just have to make do with connecting to the docks that are available and letting the battery drain or connecting to the docks and also connecting the charger on another USB-C port at the same time.

Whackman

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
After the preliminary research that I did yesterday, I came to the conclusion that there are no docks on the market yet that can supply the power needed to power and charge the 16-inch MBP. The highest I ever saw was 85 W.

I think the tech is still too new and with time, there should be docks available to power and charge the new 16-inch MBP. But currently, I think we will just have to make do with connecting to the docks that are available and letting the battery drain or connecting to the docks and also connecting the charger on another USB-C port at the same time.
Well, that's a solution at least. Any examples of docks like that?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
You can readily find 85W-87W docks. At least for my situation, those are more of a bandaid than a long-term solution for use with 16" MBP. I'm looking at the 16" MBP in a desktop replacement environment, connecting to 1-2 monitors, external storage (10Gbps), peripherals, etc. A solution with one cable to connect/disconnect would be ideal.

CalDigit TS3 Plus is 85W
CalDigit USB-C Pro Dock is 85W

Whackman

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
CalDigit TS3 Plus
I'm missing older Thunderbolt ports on that, it seems.
But the idea then is to plug that one into the macbook pro and a power-socket while also plugging the Macbook Pro itself in another power socket?

Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I'm missing older Thunderbolt ports on that, it seems.

Most of those setups would require TB3 > TB1/TB2 adapters of some kind for "legacy" compatibility.

Whackman

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Most of those setups would require TB3 > TB1/TB2 adapters of some kind for "legacy" compatibility.

Haha okay. Thanx. But that's quite insane. So a dock AND adapters.
Hmn. well. It is what it is. As usual.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
But the idea then is to plug that one into the macbook pro and a power-socket while also plugging the Macbook Pro itself in another power socket?

Basically, yes. TS3 Plus gets plugged into a wall power socket with AC adapter. Then connect TB cable from TS3 Plus to one TB3 port on MBP16". Then ALSO connect the included 96W power adapter (in the box from Apple with the MBP16") directly to another TB3 port on MBP16".

You're effectively burning two ports to continue using any dock that cannot provide adequate 96W power.
[automerge]1573771424[/automerge]
Currently, I am using a 2018 13-inch MacBook along with the Dell D6000 Thunderbolt 3 Dock.

That webpage says:

Power Delivery (PD) Profile
Up to 65W Dell/Non-Dell laptop (5V/9V/15V/19.5V @ 3A)

It's providing less power than most 85W/87W solutions...

Whackman

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Basically, yes. TS3 Plus gets plugged into a wall power socket with AC adapter. Then connect TB cable from TS3 Plus to one TB3 port on MBP16". Then ALSO connect the included 96W power adapter (in the box from Apple with the MBP16") directly to another TB3 port on MBP16".

You're effectively burning two ports to continue using any dock that cannot provide adequate 96W power.

Right. will do that then. Thank you.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
That webpage says:

Power Delivery (PD) Profile
Up to 65W Dell/Non-Dell laptop (5V/9V/15V/19.5V @ 3A)

It's providing less power than most 85W/87W solutions...

As I said, I am using this dock with the MacBook Pro 13-inch, which provides the power necessary to charge it and power it at the same time.

You can keep using this dock because no dock is available at the moment to power the laptop and charge it at the same time, so if you are going to use the included charger to charge the laptop while it is docked, it doesn't matter what the power delivery output wattage is from the dock.

Reactions: me55
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.