Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

nethead

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
bsbeamer: Can your MBP actually pull 100W under full load (e.g. Cinebench) as measured by iStat Menus in the “DC In” wattage sensor from the Sonnet 650?

The Razer also shows up as a 100W charger in system information, exactly like in your screenshot, but it doesn’t actually deliver the 100W. I wonder if it’s a problem on the side of the eGPU or the MBP.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
In limited testing, so far it can pull sustained @ 100W under load in Cinebench R20. The Sonnet 650 OC was specifically updated to provide 100W and its a different model number than the original 650 (which was 87W). I don’t know if there is special firmware on eGPU to achieve this or something else. Assume Sonnet has a little bit of inside track since they were the original dev kit and worked closely with Apple. Will be doing further tests in coming weeks.

Reactions: nethead

freitz

macrumors regular
May 25, 2015
Ellicott City MD
Personally would not recommend this setup, but you should email CalDigit support (support@caldigit.com) before you purchase to confirm this is actually going to meet your needs and specifications as you are hoping. They typically get back to people within 24 hours, but with the Thanksgiving holiday it may be delayed.

Personally would probably use an eGPU solution for driving all those displays more reliably. Something like Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650 GPU-650WOC-TB3 that has 100W PD. Using a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB (under $200) with 2x DP, 2x HDMI, 1x DVI-D should easily drive your four monitors. If not, others have more HDMI or more DP.

Mac with Thunderbolt 3 ports and macOS 10.13.6+:
One eGFX Breakaway Box eGPU (WX9100, for example) supports up to six external 4k monitors @60Hz

Mac with Thunderbolt 3 ports and macOS 10.14.6+:
Support for two eGFX Breakaway Box eGPUs and up to twelve external 4k monitors @60Hz

https://www.sonnettech.com/support/downloads/manuals/macos_egpu_info.pdf
https://www.sonnetstore.com/products/egfx-breakaway-box-650
https://www.sonnettech.com/product/egfx-breakaway-box.html

Just curious since their website says the 650 is 87W not 100W.

m0nkeyb0y

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
I've been successfully using the CalDigit USB-C pro dock for a couple of days. Today I think I blew it somehow. I sent this email to CalDigit, hoping they respond well.

Hi. I have successfully used a USB-C Pro dock with my MBP for several days (all technical details below). Today, the screens all went dark while connected to the MBP in clamshell mode. I thought the MBP had rebooted, but no reboot was happening. So I disconnected it from the dock and opened the screen, only to find everything there. I tried replugging the dock into each TB port, nothing. I disconnected everything from the dock and tried it again, nothing. I plugged in an external CD drive to the dock, which spun up, so the dock is indeed getting power. I rebooted the MBP, and tried again, still no light on the dock, and no indication of power draw on the MBP. In terms of connecting it to my laptop, it appears to be dead and unresponsive.

I am using a new 16" MacBook Pro, base model+1Tb SSD, running OSX 10.15.2. Plugged into the dock were a 4k monitor (Displayport), a HD monitor (Displayport), an external USB with some hard drives, and the ethernet cable.

ChristianHH

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2019
I've been successfully using the CalDigit USB-C pro dock for a couple of days. Today I think I blew it somehow.

Oh, that scares me, I have my 16" MBP connected to my TS3 (not plus) and it charges fine and stays charged even when I compile Java projects in IntelliJ.

I hope your dock was not killed, because the MBP was charged, but has another problem.

macinshine

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2014
HP Thunderbolt Dock G2
All ports work well.
It can provide 90 watts of power. Although the instructions are written in 100 watts.

freitz

macrumors regular
May 25, 2015
Ellicott City MD
So the 650 OC is really the only dock that can provide enough power for this system. Even though its not really a dock more of a egpu solution.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
So the 650 OC is really the only dock that can provide enough power for this system. Even though its not really a dock more of a egpu solution.

So far it's been the only Thunderbolt solution that comes close to meeting my needs. I'm not extensively using it until the drivers for RX 5700 XT are "fixed" to improve performance. The RX 580 is actually "better" in real world and benchmark tests in Mojave vs RX 5700 XT in Catalina.

The only other solutions are USB-C with PD.

m0nkeyb0y

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Oh, that scares me, I have my 16" MBP connected to my TS3 (not plus) and it charges fine and stays charged even when I compile Java projects in IntelliJ.

I hope your dock was not killed, because the MBP was charged, but has another problem.

CalDigit is sending me a replacement. I don't know what that means, hope I just had a lemon somehow.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
I'm amazed that none of the dock manufacturers have upgraded yet - throwing a 10W higher power supply in the box and making a firmware change doesn't seem like a big deal - unless the internal wiring in the docks really doesn't have the leeway to handle it.

rex450se

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Independence, MO
I've been using the Dell WD19TB since I received my 16" a few weeks ago and it has been working great. It does only offer 90 Watts, but I've yet to run my Macbook so hard for so long that it has made any difference. I have it on my desk at work connected to 2 1440p displays. Super quick and easy to just plug in one cable in the morning and get on with my day. I did have to buy a USB-C to HDMI cable to use the Thunderbolt port for the second display, but that isn't an issue. I've yet to remove my laptop at the end of the day and it not be fully charged.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I've been running my i9/2TB/Radeon 5500 model off the Caldigit USB-C Pro dock for more than a week now, and it's been keeping the battery charged up without any issues.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I have not been so lucky with the CalDigit TS3 Plus when that is the ONLY power source and going about usual activity. I have seen battery "dip" below 100% on several occasions.

This is OK for a lot of people, but for those working on video or planning to use MBP16,1 for renders, it's not. Use supplemental power from original Apple power source (96W charger).

The Sonnet 650 OC eGPU has also consistently provided 100W of power when in use and have not seen it "dip" below 100% when using that. Have not been testing with that as much right now and the drivers for RX 5700 XT are not great in Catalina 10.15.2.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
If you need to use the Apple 96W charger, you "only" have three ports available to use, not four.

Many people use all four TB3/USB-C ports on the device itself. The MBP16,1 only has two TB3 busses (one each side) and that also is a consideration if you're "burning" one with a TB3 dock.

Yes, docks allow for expansion and additional ports, but very few offer TB3 passthrough for 40Gbps bandwidth. So if the "stuff" being plugged into your ports is also not providing power, there's another cable that needs to be connected...

diggy33

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Northern Virginia
I never understood why Apple doesnt offer their own docking stations to support their products. When I worked at the Help desk at my company it was such a pain trying to find a docking station solution that worked consistently, and when they made the switch to USB-C, forget about it.

Reactions: Basic75

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Apple sort of has a history of incorporating docking solutions into their monitor/display options, but that's their only solution. The Pro Display XDR will supply 96W power and has USB ports for a hub via single cable. The 27" Cinema Display had a MagSafe connector built into the mini DisplayPort and USB dongle.

diggy33

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Northern Virginia
Apple sort of has a history of incorporating docking solutions into their monitor/display options, but that's their only solution. The Pro Display XDR will supply 96W power and has USB ports for a hub via single cable. The 27" Cinema Display had a MagSafe connector built into the mini DisplayPort and USB dongle.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but you're talking an additional $999 (if I recall that being the price of the Cinema display) on top of the cost of the hardware. That was cost prohibitive at my company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.