Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I just finally got my hands on a 16" MBP this past week. The first thing I did was test out the keyboard. I'm not a fan.

Apple's marketing says it's version 2 of their scissor switch keyboard. I can't feel anything that's version 2 about it. I expected it to have a crisper stroke like some of the Magic Keyboard 2s I've tried, but it feels like the standard wobble-squish MBP laptop keyboards that came before the butterflies. The only thing I like about it is that it brought back the inverted T arrow keys.

I know I'm going to be in the minority here, but I wish they stuck with the butterfly keyboard. People were hanging onto their rMBPs because they would rather jump into an inferno than buy a laptop with a butterfly keyboard. Well, I'm hanging onto my 2018 MBP and the butterfly keyboard until... until I need a new computer because a computer is more than a keyboard and if I can't get used to squishing my keys, I'll just tote an external keyboard like I used to.

Last edited:

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
If you’ve been using butterfly for a while, there is an initial break in period to these new keyboards. Give it a few days and you may find like some other reviewers who were butterfly fans and initially preferred them, that they don’t want to go back to the butterfly keyboard.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
You know one thing I'm noticing is that I specifically don't like it as much on the 16", compared to the 13" I had before. Part of the problem is if I'm using it in my lap/not on a desk, it's actually more onerous to depress the keyswitches since there's so much of the chassis around the keyboard, you actually have to reach in to get to it, and then push more to actuate them. I'm wondering if the upcoming 13-14" wouldn't be better in that regard.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
As someone who had a 2015 side by side with its 16" replacement, no it doesn't. Not even close.

I'll go try a few more models when I pass by an Apple store. I only tried one unit. It felt like it was transplanted from my 2009 Unibody MBP. Perhaps there's inconsistency in how they're built? I tried one Magic Keyboard 2 and thought it was a perfect compromise between scissors and butterfly, but tried another unit and it was squishy.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
You know one thing I'm noticing is that I specifically don't like it as much on the 16", compared to the 13" I had before. Part of the problem is if I'm using it in my lap/not on a desk, it's actually more onerous to depress the keyswitches since there's so much of the chassis around the keyboard, you actually have to reach in to get to it, and then push more to actuate them. I'm wondering if the upcoming 13-14" wouldn't be better in that regard.

Yep I moved to a 16” and the huge chassis is somewhat unwieldy having mainly used 13-14” laptops - but maybe I’ll get used to it over time. I do feel however using them on your lap/sofa arm etc isn’t going to work out anymore ?.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Yep I moved to a 16” and the huge chassis is somewhat unwieldy having mainly used 13-14” laptops - but maybe I’ll get used to it over time. I do feel however using them on your lap/sofa arm etc isn’t going to work out anymore ?.
Yeah that's a big problem for me. They described it on ATP like a iMac Pro that you can just more easily move from desk to desk. I think that's actually kind of true, and a problem for me. I love using my laptop in bed, on the couch, etc.

Reactions: smirking

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Yeah that's a big problem for me. They described it on ATP like a iMac Pro that you can just more easily move from desk to desk.

Hmmm, I've never used anything bigger than 15" laptop. I wouldn't have expected a 16" laptop would cross the line of not feeling like a true laptop anymore. I wonder how they decided on bumping up the size to 16" and possibly the 13" to 14". Is that what people were asking for or is it to differentiate the MBP line from the MBA?

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
Too much whining about the size around these forums, the 16" is SMALLER in every dimension than a 2015 15", my how quickly people forget. 2015 was like...yesterday.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Too much whining about the size around these forums, the 16" is SMALLER in every dimension than a 2015 15", my how quickly people forget. 2015 was like...yesterday.
Is your ego so small that even just discussing the 16" in a way that could be construed as criticism needs to be mocked and silenced immediately?

No one is saying the 16" shouldn't be the size it is. But we are saying other form factors might be better for certain use cases.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
As someone who had a 2015 side by side with its 16" replacement, no it doesn't. Not even close.
Agree. I was actually pretty surprised how much closer it was to the butterfly than the previous generation’s keyboard was. I guess it all depends on where you’re coming from, but I would love for it to be literally the same keyboard as my 2014 model, but it’s actually quite different. I still prefer it to the butterfly by a significant margin.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
BUT I am SURE a lot closer th
Yeah that's a big problem for me. They described it on ATP like a iMac Pro that you can just more easily move from desk to desk. I think that's actually kind of true, and a problem for me. I love using my laptop in bed, on the couch, etc.
LOL!!!! everyone knows this is NOT the laptop for bed, sofa etc.... not was the 15" really, although my 16" I use everywhere and don't notice a difference from my 15" the screen real estate is simply, too valuable, compared to the small screen on the 13"... you guys seriously seem impossible to impresses... lol!
[automerge]1575827392[/automerge]
Amen! there is basically NO size difference in real world situations...

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I have the 2015 15" and the new 16". To me the new keyboard feels better, less mushy. And I say that as someone that loves the 2015 keyboard. I think they did well improving on that design personally.

The screens pixel response is poorer though and I could still do without the touch bar to be honest.

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
Is your ego so small that even just discussing the 16" in a way that could be construed as criticism needs to be mocked and silenced immediately?

No one is saying the 16" shouldn't be the size it is. But we are saying other form factors might be better for certain use cases.

It's misdirected criticism. Want a more portable laptop? There's a reason Apple makes a 13", so don't complain about how unwieldy the bigger-by-design machine is. It's pretty simple.

Oh, and the 16" is hardly some huge boat anchor. How did you survive 5-10 years ago?

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
It's misdirected criticism. Want a more portable laptop? There's a reason Apple makes a 13", so don't complain about how unwieldy the bigger-by-design machine is. It's pretty simple.

Oh, and the 16" is hardly some huge boat anchor. How did you survive 5-10 years ago?
There's a difference between complaining/whining about something and discussing it. And who called it a huge boat anchor? And who said they couldn't survive with it? You're just generating a bunch of ******** to try to feel superior to other people, on the MacRumors forums of all places. Take your insecurity elsewhere.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011

HAHA, I bet the buy buys a truck and then complains its got a bed instead of a trunk....

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I have to admit I do find the posts where people say it's too big a bit funny. It's like they want a 16" display in a 13" body..

I had two 17" MacBook Pro's the first one and then the unibody one (2009). Now those were huge. I really love my 16" size wise it feels about the same as my 15" 2015 but with a larger display and go figure that's what it was advertised as.

Reactions: Queen6 and Howard2k

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
The 16" is almost "featherweight" compared to my 17" 2009 MBP. I also own an Alienware 17" and this thing is physically much much smaller. I need a big screen so I can tile my xterm/tmux :). So it's a small machine compared to some others with the same size screen.

However, it's less "lappable" than a 13", sure. Also I find it too slippery! It tends to slide off my lap. I have to be very careful while handling it. Also while you can open the lid with one finger, the machine is so light that the whole thing would slide on a table while opening the lid. However I'm getting a i-Blason tough case for it which should solve these issues.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
wow merry Christmas! lol... its just a computer all... and of course an amazing one, completely amazing one at that, every time I sit at my desk and use it, blown away any the 16"... the display, speed, speakers, work of art honestly...

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
I also prefer the butterfly keyboards.

What I really want to know is when are Apple going to start using ceramic/glass key caps? I HATE plastic keyboards that develop an uneven shiny wear pattern over time ?

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
What I really want to know is when are Apple going to start using ceramic/glass key caps? I HATE plastic keyboards that develop an uneven shiny wear pattern over time ?

I would assume that if it were possible to make them light enough, thin enough, and durable enough, they would have already done it. I seriously doubt shiny keycaps is what they want anyone to think of when they think of a MBP.

There's already plastic (PBT) that resists shine, but I'm not sure if those can be made thin enough. Keyboard geeks go nuts over nice PBT keycaps. PBT will eventually shine too though, but even when they get shiny, it's more of a dull shine that isn't as noticeable.

Glass would be an interesting idea. It'd probably have to be extremely stiff glass to hold up and I wonder what that would feel like to type on. It'd likely be prohibitively expensive and probably be hard to produce in quantity as the slightest defect in a very small shape would result in a keycap that would cause jams even with a scissor mechanism.

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
I quite like the keyboard, and the large keycaps. However, I am not a speed typist. I find it quite comfortable to type on with almost no fatigue/soreness after a long coding session.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
I expected it to have a crisper stroke like some of the Magic Keyboard 2s I've tried, but it feels like the standard wobble-squish MBP laptop keyboards that came before the butterflies. The only thing I like about it is that it brought back the inverted T arrow keys.

In no way does the 2019 16" keyboard have "wobble" or "squish." The keyboard is tight and well-designed. Good layout, well-spaced, rigid base like all Macbook Pros. Also, physical escape key, repositioned touchbar, independent power / touchID button. All great.

Butterfly? It sucks, badly. Multiple warranty repair and extension programs confirm this fact. Bad design, bad tech, hopefully this failed experiment is dead and gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.