Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hedberg

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2016
Hey guys! :)

I am really enjoying my new Apple Watch so far, and especially running with it. I was wondering what Bluetooth headphones people use when running with the watch. I currently have a pair of Beoplay H7, but they are too big to run with.

Are people waiting on the new AirPods? Do people have any nice bluetooth headphone recommendations? I was considering the Beoplay H5, but nice sure since the reviews are a bit mixed.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
I absolutely love the Plantronics Backbeat Fit headphones for running. To me, they are perfect. They have good quality and allow enough ambient noise that I can hear what is going on in the world along with my music. My 2nd choice for running, which I tried out but do not own, are the Powerbeats3. These are very good quality and stay in on runs without issue. For my selection, the Backbeat fit won because of its compact behind-the-head design and cost.

Reactions: Javabird

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Hey guys! :)

I am really enjoying my new Apple Watch so far, and especially running with it. I was wondering what Bluetooth headphones people use when running with the watch. I currently have a pair of Beoplay H7, but they are too big to run with.

Are people waiting on the new AirPods? Do people have any nice bluetooth headphone recommendations? I was considering the Beoplay H5, but nice sure since the reviews are a bit mixed.

Where are you going to run? If it's outdoors, @exxxviii has got you covered. If you're running on a treadmill, I recommend the Jaybird X2.

wx4olf

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I absolutely love the Plantronics Backbeat Fit headphones for running. To me, they are perfect. They have good quality and allow enough ambient noise that I can hear what is going on in the world along with my music. My 2nd choice for running, which I tried out but do not own, are the Powerbeats3. These are very good quality and stay in on runs without issue. For my selection, the Backbeat fit won because of its compact behind-the-head design and cost.

Totally agree on the Backbeat Fit - I own two pairs of them (black and lime green). They are the best headphones I've used for running. The only thing I don't like is the band connecting the ear pieces can bounce around some but I fixed that by cinching it up with a rubber band so that the strap sit snugly against my head with just a little ponytail like nubbing sticking out - problem solved!

Hedberg

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2016
Thanks for the replies so far, guys! I'm running outside at the moment :) How's the sound quality on the devices you guys mentioned?

jimnaze

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2015
I'm using the Jabra Pulse which is great because they also measure heartbeat. My logic is that I'm using less battery power on the AW. They've got some new buds coming out in a few weeks that are on my Xmas list...fully cordless seems too good to be true.

Last edited:

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
How's the sound quality on the devices you guys mentioned?
I really cannot give a very good qualitative answer. My best is "they are more than good enough." I use them in a pretty hostile environment. I usually only have the volume at about 50% to 60% so I can hear a little outside noise, and I only ever use them while running or biking. So, it is pretty difficult to hear nuances. I have no compliants at all about sound quality.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Jaybird x2 are by far the best running headphones I've ever tried (and I've tried many), wired or wireless. They can be had for a very reasonable price from Amazon.

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas

+1

I have the same headphones for running. They work great with my Watch and allow enough outside sound, so I do not get hit by a bus. They are loud enough to drown out the much-needed background noise, so I use them at about 50-60% volume.

They fit easily over my ears and the controls are simple. You can pause the music with a single tap. The volume adjustment was a little tricky at first, but now I can do it with ease on the move.

I have even used them in the rain without problems.

TxWatch

Macaddict16

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2002
Jaybird x2 are by far the best running headphones I've ever tried (and I've tried many), wired or wireless. They can be had for a very reasonable price from Amazon.

I also have the Jaybird x2s to use with my Apple Watch. Sound quality is great, but I have had them cut out while using them attached to my Apple Watch. Works fine on the iPhone, but the Apple Watch cuts out when there is too much of my body between the right ear and the watch on my left wrist. Have you noticed this as well? I have had the same issue on a S0 and a S2 watch.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I also have the Jaybird x2s to use with my Apple Watch. Sound quality is great, but I have had them cut out while using them attached to my Apple Watch. Works fine on the iPhone, but the Apple Watch cuts out when there is too much of my body between the right ear and the watch on my left wrist. Have you noticed this as well? I have had the same issue on a S0 and a S2 watch.
I had that with the original X's - ended up returning them and getting the PowerBeats2 (which I'm not very thrilled with - poor battery life).
A good solution might be to switch to using the over-the-ear clips - on the X's that changes the orientation, putting the controller on the left - same side as the watch.

Macaddict16

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2002
I had that with the original X's - ended up returning them and getting the PowerBeats2 (which I'm not very thrilled with - poor battery life).
A good solution might be to switch to using the over-the-ear clips - on the X's that changes the orientation, putting the controller on the left - same side as the watch.

I may have to try the switching to over the ear clips. Being on the same side should fix the issue.

Besides battery life, what didn't you like about PowerBeats2? I am planning on picking up the PowerBeats3 when they are released and from the looks of it, the main difference is the W1 and better battery life. Anything else you don't like about them?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I may have to try the switching to over the ear clips. Being on the same side should fix the issue.

Besides battery life, what didn't you like about PowerBeats2? I am planning on picking up the PowerBeats3 when they are released and from the looks of it, the main difference is the W1 and better battery life. Anything else you don't like about them?
They also have too much bass. I liked the sound better with the Jaybirds.

If the PB3's work the same as the AirPods (switching "automagically" between apple watch, iPhone, iPad and Mac's) then they might be a better option. Guessing they and the AirPods are likely calibrated to compensate better for the weak BT radio in the Apple Watch.

That's one scenario I want to see - receiving a call on the Apple Watch (with the W1 headphones), then swapping the call to the iPhone - is the switch seamless? (should be!) :)

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
Im using Bose SoundSport Wireless .... work well with my AW, iPhone and ipod depending on what I need

Picked these up last weekend, love them, do trail running and you don't know there even in your ear. I use them all the time, running or just sitting around listening to music. Love the way they connect to two devices at the same time.

Reactions: Night Spring

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
I bit on these based on a number of friends recommendations.
They all knew how I felt about Bose.
With Franks hot sauce crow really does taste like chicken

Just grabbed the same for mine. Really do like the QC range from Bose and have a set of in ear's too but fancied a change for the watch.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
After reading through this thread, I searched for some JBx2's. Pricey!! Pretty much out of stock. Well, I was at my local WalMart today and looking for some Lego items in the clearance section. Guess what I came across!!! How awesome is it to find something you've been unable to find, and you were willing to pay a premium price for, on a clearance isle!!?? Well, $74.00 for the pair. :) BOUGHT!

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
After reading through this thread, I searched for some JBx2's. Pricey!! Pretty much out of stock. Well, I was at my local WalMart today and looking for some Lego items in the clearance section. Guess what I came across!!! How awesome is it to find something you've been unable to find, and you were willing to pay a premium price for, on a clearance isle!!?? Well, $74.00 for the pair. :) BOUGHT!

That's a decent deal.

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
I bit on these based on a number of friends recommendations.
They all knew how I felt about Bose.
With Franks hot sauce crow really does taste like chicken
The have the QC25s. Great headphones. I wish I had the 35s but having to use a cable isn't a big deal (I'm still using an iPhone 6Plus).

Reactions: cfclay

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Been using the QC35 for a few days now and really like them. The noise cancelling is fantastic and the quality of sound is very good for the price. No interference or anything of the sort either.

Very good package for the money, yes there is better out there but at a higher price point. Bose have these QC35's sorted and at a great price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.