Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Got a problem where using this camera on my Mac Pro results in a way over exposed image with absolutely no way of control it from my searching!

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,
James

Mr Robi

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
LifeCam problems on Mac OSX Lion

I had the same problem. My LifeCam HD worked great until I upgraded to Lion. I'm still looking for a solution, but here's my current work-around:

1. Download CameraControl from here: http://www.phoboslab.org/log/2009/07/uvc-camera-control-for-mac-os-x

2. Extract the app from the ZIP file and run it. Your camera exposure should be better. Leave this app running.

3. Run PhotoBooth or FaceTime. Your exposure should be fine.

You will always need to start CameraControl before any other video capture app -- otherwise it will reset to being over exposed.

I haven't tried with Skype yet.

alforque

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
Sadly, Camera Control did nothing for me. Were you able to fix your LifeCam? I'll keep an eye on this thread.

v8raun

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
Skype works too

Skype does the same thing as camera control (i use osx lion 10.7.4 and a microsoft lifecam studio), but in my case it doesn't matter, if i leave the app running or not! After i started Skype once, the exposure is fine in FaceTime, photo booth etc., also if i quit Skype before or during i use one of the mentioned apps!

Bud DaDude

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2017
Thanks! Unfortunately, this didn't work for the Microsoft LifeCam.

The app recognizes the webcam, but returns "request failed" on all actions.

A simple fix is to put some sunglasses with polarised lenses in front of the camera.

LudwigNV

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2017
Hi to anyone needing this,
I am on a 10.12.6 mac mini and I had the same problem (LifeCam Studio (model 1425)). I was ghost white on first hookup. I did not try the other solutions here but I launched Photoboooth™ and started testing out a few filters. Then I returned to the default...and everything was back to normal. This also positively affected my balance in Face Time.

Best of Luck

Got a problem where using this camera on my Mac Pro results in a way over exposed image with absolutely no way of control it from my searching!

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,
James

Reactions: lumedawg

lumedawg

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2019
Hi to anyone needing this,
I am on a 10.12.6 mac mini and I had the same problem (LifeCam Studio (model 1425)). I was ghost white on first hookup. I did not try the other solutions here but I launched Photoboooth™ and started testing out a few filters. Then I returned to the default...and everything was back to normal. This also positively affected my balance in Face Time.

Best of Luck

Just tried this and it worked great! Just played with some effects in Photobooth. Closed it and opened a Zoom meeting. Went from ghost to host! Thanks Ludwig!

KMcCMedia

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2019
Just tried this and it worked great! Just played with some effects in Photobooth. Closed it and opened a Zoom meeting. Went from ghost to host! Thanks Ludwig!

Thanks for this. Does the new setting persist through logging out/restarts? I am trying to help someone, remotely and not in a position to test, now. I would rather not give her the solution, if it isn't a persistent cure.

Thanks Again

Best answer so far....

Zac Woodall

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2020
Seattle, WA
I have the same problem with my Macbook Pro (which means there are 2 cameras). The Microsoft Lifecam is super-saturated. Tried the photobooth workaround, but it didn't seem to work. Camera control isn't dual camera aware; might be I need to add that to the source. Looks like Microsoft's help article on this is unhelpful. Anyone find another solution?

itypograf

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2020
I have the same problem with my Macbook Pro (which means there are 2 cameras). The Microsoft Lifecam is super-saturated. Tried the photobooth workaround, but it didn't seem to work. Camera control isn't dual camera aware; might be I need to add that to the source. Looks like Microsoft's help article on this is unhelpful. Anyone find another solution?
I solved this problem with version 8.7.0 of Webcamoid app

kevin-david

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2021
I realize this is an old thread, but I'd figure I'd share the [free!] solution that worked for me, because this was pretty high in the search results for my issue ("lifecam cinema overexposed mac").

I found a program called uvc_controller which works to set parameters on the LifeCam cameras for me. You need to compile it yourself, but it's fairly straightforward if you are familiar with Homebrew.

I was able to find some better-working settings and apply those using the tool. Requires doing it every time I plug the camera in - perhaps I could automate it, but not so bad once a day.

jeffgman

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2021
Amazing Apple has not provided this in MacOS. The solution I found, before seeing these posts, was to use this open source (free) software CameraController. It's up to date, already built and has a nice interface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.