Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

signuphere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2017
I'm down to only 2 USB ports working and they are both occupied by the mouse and keyboard receivers. Is it a bad idea to use a USB dongle (or splitter) so I can convert 1 port into say, 4? Sounds to me not to be ideal, but not sure. What about the Firewire and Thunderbolt ports, can I use them for USB purposes with the proper adapters of course? I'm thinking the other 2 USB ports will die, so looking for alternatives. I've never taxed those ports so I don't know why they died.

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
I have a similar 2011/21.5" which I bought in 2012 (really cheap - because), USB ports 1 and 3 (seen from the rear left) supply power but no data. Also the SD card is non-functional.
Its been like that since I got it, and in use every day until now, with no problems with the other 2 USB ports.
I have a Thunderbolt 1 dock attached which gives me a USB 3 port and further USB 2 ports (and a second monitor port), so that has been my solution.

TB 1 docks have long since been obsoleted so are relatively cheap on eBay etc. Mine is a Matrox, which works with Mac OS from Lion to High Sierra.
The Apple hardware test checks out as OK, so it doesn't see that the ports as faulty. When I opened the iMac to put in a SSD I had the logic board out to see if could see the fault, but there was no sign of anything wrong. So I left it as it was, and am still using it today.

The TB dock is rock solid, but the USB hubs that I've tried were sometimes flaky with self-powered usb 3 hard drives.

Firewire isn't compatible with USB.

signuphere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2017
I see. Funny, ports 1 and 3 are dead as is the SD card reader on mine as well.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
IF an "SMC reset" won't work, use a hub for more ports.
Make sure it's a "powered" hub (with it's own power block).

IMO, it's not worth fixing an 8-year-old iMac (would probably require motherboard replacement) just to get 2 of the USB ports working again...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.