Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
I am currently migrating fronAperture to Photos before I upgrade to Catalina. I followed the instructions published by Apple and have generated previews with no limits etc and migrated the library upon opening photos.

I wanted to check that the referenced files (I ran a referenced library in Aperture) were still recognised and linked in photos. Right click an image, choose to show referenced file in finder, pop up menu asks me to allow media access and thrn to manually connect to the relevant folder. Here is where I have the issue, the referenced file still does not connect, in face many of them are greyed out.

I’ve searched google, no dice. Any ideas here?

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
Evidently there is an app that will allow Aperture to run under Catalina. Haven't tried it.

Yes, this is possible, but it’s a band aid solution. At some point it will not be possible to run Aperture at all.

I am migrating to photos as a stop gap solution until I find something more permanent. I just need to make sure my referenced files are correctly addressed in photos.

Reactions: Ledgem

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Oh boy, tough one. Unlike Aperture Photos doesn't have many tools to fix things.

What happens if you try to import the referenced image? the one you did the "show in Finder" on? does Photos add it? Are you saying they are grayed out in Photos, or in the Finder when you go to locate them? have you verified the files you think are referenced actually exist in the Finder? (IOW, are you sure they haven't been deleted or moved since you last looked at them in Aperture?).

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
Oh boy, tough one. Unlike Aperture Photos doesn't have many tools to fix things.

What happens if you try to import the referenced image? the one you did the "show in Finder" on? does Photos add it? Are you saying they are grayed out in Photos, or in the Finder when you go to locate them? have you verified the files you think are referenced actually exist in the Finder? (IOW, are you sure they haven't been deleted or moved since you last looked at them in Aperture?).

Greyed our in finder when I navigate to connect them as directed to by photos.

photos exist-none have been deleted.

I got fed up of fumbling around, I wasn’t solving anything and just going round in circles. I hit the upgrade button.

in the Catalina version of photos, under file>library there is a choice - referenced. I selected all and hit referenced. I did something else too but can’t remember, anyway, I think they are all connected now.

I have a suspicion that Photos only really wants to deal with the original files, not adjusted images. Initially I found photos quite confusing to use. It seems to be totally different in every way to Aperture. As I was going through things in Aperture I was constantly reminded of just what’s a fantastic bit of software in is (was).

h, it should be noted that photos can access and upgrade the Aperture 3 library file, it doesn’t change the Aperture file, but makes a new photos file based on the Aperture file.So it’s worth keeping the Aperture file safe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.