Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Using the Xbox Live Cloud
I have some Minecraft worlds that reside on my Xbox 360. I keeper them backed up on a thumb drive, but am assuming that to get them the Xbox Cloud, I'd need an Xbox Live subscription? I'll also assume that backing them up to the Cloud, does not remove them from Xbox itself, this is just an additional backup?

Now, what if I paid for an Xbox Live subscription for a month, and backed up these worlds, but then later let the subscription expire? Would those backed up worlds remain there or would they be flushed?

Moving an Minecraft World from Xbox to PC
What I'd really like to do is move the Minecraft World from the Xbox to my PC Minecraft.

This link and separate (poor quality) video says you can: http://marctv.de/blog/export-xbox-360-minecraft-maps-to-mac-or-pc/ Anyone try this? Thanks!

Last edited:

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Just a quick minecraft question. Did they ever update the launcher to be self-contained, as whatever java it wants is a part of it? Last I knew they were working on that and I haven't seen any news since. I'm about to just delete it and forget about it if they don't fix it to run on OS X without requiring an old java on my system. I think what it needs now isn't supported on the next OS X anyway. I thought I read that somewhere, java 6 I think it is?

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
The new standalone-java launcher is already out on Windows, and is coming to OS X later this year. And yes, Minecraft on OS X now requires Java 6.

Thank you. I'll wait for later this year when they get the Mac launcher done then.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I wish the developer would add angled blocks although I've been advised this can be accomplished with mods. It would be nice to have a 30% slope and some 45s. :)

The new standalone-java launcher is already out on Windows, and is coming to OS X later this year. And yes, Minecraft on OS X now requires Java 6.

When I recently set up a Minecraft server and wrote a guide, it asked me to install Java 6. Does the game itself run on a more recent version of Java? Thought I saw some references to that online.

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
The game itself runs on the version installed on your system. On OS X, they force you to use Java 6 (but there is a hack that enables Java 7). On Windows, you can use Java 8.
The new launcher downloads its own standalone version of Java runtime, so there is no need to have Java installed separately.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
The game itself runs on the version installed on your system. On OS X, they force you to use Java 6 (but there is a hack that enables Java 7). On Windows, you can use Java 8.
The new launcher downloads its own standalone version of Java runtime, so there is no need to have Java installed separately.

Yeah, this is what I am waiting for as I do not have java installed on this system nor do I intend to install it for a game. I'll skip the game rather than do that. If the launcher with whatever java it needs to function is released as a stand-alone thing, fine. Maybe I'll finally get to play the copy of Minecraft that I bought probably two years ago now.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Another feature Minecraft needs to keep up with its voxel competition (Everquest Landmark) is the ability to copy and paste structures, even copy from one world to another! :):)

New Launcher = Mac, Windows or both?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Minecraft vs Lego Worlds- What do you think?

I recently got Lego Worlds after being impressed with Lego: Jurassic Park, and first impression is mixed as compared to Minecraft. Some things are stellar and others are... I'm getting used to. There is a lot more going on with characters and critters, and variety in LW with the blocks that make up the game. I don't know if you can easily generate these types blocks, but in the video it looks like you can, using a terraforming tool. I have yet to place blocks, but I'll be experimenting with it. The LW worlds also seem to be smaller than Minecraft, but maybe I've not yet found the right map.

Has anyone found a way to select a biome in LW or do they just all run together and you really can't pull up a biome like you can in Minecraft?

how-the-early-version-of-lego-worlds-compares-to-minecraft-intended-for-lego-house-building-games.jpg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Have you ever experienced seeing something that is so magnificent that it simultaneously awes you with wonder, but dashes every bit of pride in something you created, which now seems completely irrelevant? This is how I felt when I stumbled over the Norse Mythology Mashup World available in Minecraft on my Xbox 360.

IT IS INCREDIBLE! So much so that it represents diametrically opposed goals, owning a workd like this, versus any thought of editing this world or creating a world like this. Regarding editing, how could you ever improve upon it? :( And creating something like this, I fear to guess how much work something like this would require.
EDD63EED-FD50-460D-BD2A-AB8FF8DA5858.jpeg

That object in the middle is a enormous tree with all sorts
of incredible features in, on, and under it.

For anyone who considers Minecraft to be a primitive voxel building program, it’s when looking at a world like this, and realizing the massive scale makes block crudity recede into the back ground. To truly appreciate the magnificence of this world, you have to see it first hand.

A question for any Minecraft affictionatos, there seems to be consolidation going on between different versions of Minecraft. https://minecraft.net/en-us/article/better-together-faq

I own the Mac Java version, the Windows 10 version, and the Microsoft Xbox version. I currently have the Windows 10 version installed and see no availability to purchase any mashup worlds. I would reinstall the Mac version, if it had this ability.

If not available, does anyone know if mashup worlds will become available on the PC/Mac?
Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Once again, grandkids visiting, and wondering if I can buy mashup packs for the Minecraft: Java Edition on PC. Any local clues? This time I have posted over at the Minecraftforum.net for an answer.

On other than console, I'm wondering what is the future of Minecraft on the PC/Mac, is it the Java version or something else?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've discovered there is the Minecraft: Java version which is available for Mac and Windows which have no connectivity to consoles.

Then there is the Windows 10 version which is associated with the consol version, also called Bedrock. With an Xbox live account, you can join console player's games or vice a versa. These have the mashup pack which are quite impressive. I have the Norse mashup pack on my xbox which is amazing, but on my Java version, I have a great seed, with tall mountains, that I have not been able to find anything similar on the Bedrock edition. The saves for these two variations are not interchangeable. So you end up committed to one or the other depending on the Map. :-\

Does anyone know if there is a way to identify the seed of the map you are using?

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'll take another stab at this: What version of Minecraft do you play and why? Choices are PC/Mac Java version or Conso/Windows 10 (Bedrock) version.

Which version has more capability?
Which version has better connectivity?
Which version offer more content?

My understanding is that there is no cross connectivity between Java and Bedrock, and that save games are locked into the version it is created on, no cross compatibility there either.
Thanks!

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
There are actually three main versions. Bedrock (Android, iOS, W10, Xbox, Switch), Java (Windows, Mac, Linux) and PS4 (the PS4 version is pretty close to the Bedrock edition feature-wise, but stays separate because of Sony's weird politics).

There is no compatibility or cross-play ability between these versions.
All of them are supported and under development, but the Java version is expected to be slowly phased out.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There are actually three main versions. Bedrock (Android, iOS, W10, Xbox, Switch), Java (Windows, Mac, Linux) and PS4 (the PS4 version is pretty close to the Bedrock edition feature-wise, but stays separate because of Sony's weird politics).

There is no compatibility or cross-play ability between these versions.
All of them are supported and under development, but the Java version is expected to be slowly phased out.
This is what I suspected just because there are mashup packs on Bedrock version and none on the Java version. My delimma is that I want to devote building time to a version that has a future, but there are some pretty nifty seeds (maps) on the Java version, one in particular I love, and I’ve not been able to find an equivalent on the Bedrock version. What I’m looking for are very tall and jagged mountains with the intent of building an elf village inspired (Rivendell) in them, although I realize this has been done already on a grand scale.

Last edited:

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I don't understand why the Java edition, which is the standard I believe, wouldn't have a future. You can always keep playing old versions, right? A build like that doesn't really require new features forever, it's mostly about the build.

Hadn't played Minecraft in years until PewDiePie started playing it last week, had never heard of the newest features or the different versions like Bedrock. I installed whatever it came up with on the website, put my old worlds in the save folder and everything is exactly like I left it years ago.

I'm reading more about the Bedrock Edition here: https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Bedrock_Edition

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don't understand why the Java edition, which is the standard I believe, wouldn't have a future. You can always keep playing old versions, right? A build like that doesn't really require new features forever, it's mostly about the build.

Hadn't played Minecraft in years until PewDiePie started playing it last week, had never heard of the newest features or the different versions like Bedrock. I installed whatever it came up with on the website, put my old worlds in the save folder and everything is exactly like I left it years ago.

I'm reading more about the Bedrock Edition here: https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Bedrock_Edition
I have the Xbox 360 version, Mac Java version, Windows Java version, and Windows 10 beta version.

I am far from an expert on this, but what jumped out at me big time, is that the Mashup Packs which are freak’n amazing have appeared on the Console/Windows 10 beta (Bedrock edition) and they are no where to be found on the Java edition. This led me to think this is another case where consoles are taking over the world of computer gaming.

There is no cross connectivity between the two versions Java vs Bedrock. I much prefer playing on my computer and it is cool to be able to move a saved game from Condole to Windows/Mac or vice a versa. I’m not sure this can happen involving Bedrock Console vs Bedrock Windows. As far as I know, there is no Mac Bedrock version.

I mentioned this a few posts ago, but the Norse Mashup Pack, if you download the prebuilt world that is included with it, might just blow your mind. :)

Trailer

Longer Video​

Last edited:

ConvertedToMac

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
I have a 2019 27” iMac with the 580x graphics card and I’m getting the same frame rate performance in Minecraft as I do on my 2012 Mac mini that has no graphics card at all of course. ?. Does anyone know where I’m going wrong?

Cheers.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I have a 2019 27” iMac with the 580x graphics card and I’m getting the same frame rate performance in Minecraft as I do on my 2012 Mac mini that has no graphics card at all of course. ?. Does anyone know where I’m going wrong?

Cheers.

Are you using Optifine? It gives you many options on performance settings, includes descriptions per setting.

Reactions: ConvertedToMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.