Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
The bottom gets extremely hot in my lap and the battery dies extremely quickly.

Oh that, yeah that’s completely normal. Run any intensive task on a MacBook Pro and it will get very hot. It’s designed that way. Optifine won’t make a difference, I was thinking about performance only.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don't understand why the Java edition, which is the standard I believe, wouldn't have a future. You can always keep playing old versions, right? A build like that doesn't really require new features forever, it's mostly about the build.

Hadn't played Minecraft in years until PewDiePie started playing it last week, had never heard of the newest features or the different versions like Bedrock. I installed whatever it came up with on the website, put my old worlds in the save folder and everything is exactly like I left it years ago.

I'm reading more about the Bedrock Edition here: https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Bedrock_Edition
So much for the idea that you can continue to play on old versions of the game when dealing with Corpo Masters (Microsoft) who demand logins to their server. 😡
Jump ahead to 2024. I’ve not played Minecraft on my PC since 2022. My Minecraft Launcher won’t launch. I end up having to download a new Launcher, then it won’t log me in, a message says switch to my other (named) account if I want to play the Java edition, so it recognizes me as registered. I switch and it won’t launch. Then I discovered that there was a migration and a post migration of mojang accounts to Microsoft accounts that ended in Dec23. I log in with an established Microsoft account and it does not recognize me as an owner of Minecraft or that I have established worlds on my computer, and wants me to pay $29.99 for the bedrock/java version of Minecraft. A help page says if I do this I can access my previously established worlds. 🤔

Reactions: MRMSFC and Irishman

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
So much for the idea that you can continue to play on old versions of the game when dealing with Corpo Masters (Microsoft) who demand logins to their server. 😡
Jump ahead to 2024. I’ve not played Minecraft on my PC since 2022. My Minecraft Launcher won’t launch. I end up having to download a new Launcher, then it won’t log me in, a message says switch to my other (named) account if I want to play the Java edition, so it recognizes me as registered. I switch and it won’t launch. Then I discovered that there was a migration and a post migration of mojang accounts to Microsoft accounts that ended in Dec23. I log in with an established Microsoft account and it does not recognize me as an owner of Minecraft or that I have established worlds on my computer, and wants me to pay $29.99 for the bedrock/java version of Minecraft. A help page says if I do this I can access my previously established worlds. 🤔
I did get regular email reminders about the migration. I think I migrated but haven’t tried.

Can’t believe that post is almost five years old, time flies 😅

Reactions: Huntn

MRMSFC

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2023
The whole migration is a giant pain in the ass. Considering how Microsoft makes their own software, I should expect no less.

I ended up giving up and buying a copy since I was locked out of migration. I apologize for being part of the problem.

That said, I’ve been using Prism launcher for both convenience and mods. I highly recommend it, especially over the awfully bloated Minecraft launcher.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The whole migration is a giant pain in the ass. Considering how Microsoft makes their own software, I should expect no less.

I ended up giving up and buying a copy since I was locked out of migration. I apologize for being part of the problem.

That said, I’ve been using Prism launcher for both convenience and mods. I highly recommend it, especially over the awfully bloated Minecraft launcher.
So you buy the Java version if you want cross compatibility with the Mac version just in case, and how does Prism fit in? I have Microsoft launcher that popped up On my PC. 🤔

MRMSFC

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2023
So you buy the Java version if you want cross compatibility with the Mac version just in case, and how does Prism fit in? I have Microsoft launcher that popped up On my PC. 🤔
Oh I’ve been playing on my mbp, Prism is a launcher that was forked from MultiMC, (which is currently broken on Mac and what I used years ago) I haven’t had a working pc in awhile

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
The new standalone-java launcher is already out on Windows, and is coming to OS X later this year. And yes, Minecraft on OS X now requires Java 6.

When you say it’s coming to “OS X”, do you mean the latest version of Mac OS, Sonoma? Or do you literally mean the older version of MacOS? Because Sonoma is technically MacOS 14.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Oh I’ve been playing on my mbp, Prism is a launcher that was forked from MultiMC, (which is currently broken on Mac and what I used years ago) I haven’t had a working pc in awhile
I ended up buying the Minecraft Deluxe edition (Java PC) for $40, basically buying the same game over again Bastardos! I was able to save some maps that I had done a lot of work on though. 🤔 I've not been on my Xbox 360 for ages to see if there are any changes there...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.