Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martosprint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
I don't have the Java icon in my system preferences, and I presume that is how I would get into the java control panel. The Java icon is just not listed with the rest of the icons. Mountain lion is up to date. Is there a way to get that icon back? I don't believe that is all that important but I would still like to know why the icon isn't there. In preferences it shows the internet plugin and "allow Java" is checked.
thanks for a reply 

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It sounds like you only installed Java 6 from Apple. Go here and click to check your Java version and you should get a popup asking if you want to install Java 7 from Oracle. Approve the install and afterward you will have the Java pref pane.

Zaphodsplanet

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2011
Texas
It sounds like you only installed Java 6 from Apple. Go here and click to check your Java version and you should get a popup asking if you want to install Java 7 from Oracle. Approve the install and afterward you will have the Java pref pane.

Thanks for your post.... just for the record the same issue happened to me with Mavericks 10.9. You don't get a pop up though.... just a "missing plugin" graphic... but you just have to click on "download" in the top menu and you're back in business.

vpogrebi

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2018

I have new laptop with MacOS High Sierra, and have the same issue - Java Control does not appear in Settings. I've made sure to install latest version of Java (I have Java 8 installed) - but still Java does not appear in Settings.

Any suggestions?

- Val

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.