Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueOcean

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
I've been experiencing a strange phenomenon after upgrading my 2008 iMac from SL to ML a few days ago. It's the only thing I've noticed that's bugging me a bit.

When I switch to Mission Control, the preview thumb for Desktop 1 always shows as empty, regardless of the windows that are on it. Additional desktops work fine (as you can see, I have Mail open in the second desktop and it shows, but Firefox in the first one is invisible).

Anyone know why this is and if I can fix it? I don't have this problem on my Air so I can only suspect it's an artefact of the upgrade, but want to see if there's anything I can modify to fix it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• mission control fail.png
    mission control fail.png
    892.3 KB · Views: 869

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I dont have a response to your question. But I was also wondering something about mission control. Does mission control display minimised windows that are in the dock???

BlueOcean

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
I dont have a response to your question. But I was also wondering something about mission control. Does mission control display minimised windows that are in the dock???

Nope, at least not that I'm aware of.

BlueOcean

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Okay, I actually formatted my disk and did a full clean install of Mountain Lion today. It has gotten rid of a lot of junk and it feels snappier, but I still have the same issue with Mission Control.

Surely, someone else must be experiencing this too?

fridaygrrl

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
Odd Behavior of Desktop 1 in Mission Control

New MBP 15 (not retina model). When in Mission Control, Desktop 1 has a portion of the upper right that shows the desktop picture, then the rest is the grey linen. This prevents me from adding more desktops (the + tab does not appear in the upper right). I am able to add desktops from the other screens. At some point I must have been able to add those screens, so not sure what happened. Screenshot:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-26 at 10.01.03.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-10-26 at 10.01.03.jpg
    576.8 KB · Views: 443

leethray

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2015
Hi! Though it might be too late but I want to provide my answer.

I am using ML and I also couldn't see the thumbnails in desktop1 of my mission.
I found it was caused by the fact that I once connect my macbook to an external display.
And the desktop which will have its thumbnails disappeared is decided on which desktop
you were on when you disconnected the external display.

So reconnect your macbook to an external display and set to mirroring screen mode and
then disconnect might solve your problem.

I've been experiencing a strange phenomenon after upgrading my 2008 iMac from SL to ML a few days ago. It's the only thing I've noticed that's bugging me a bit.

When I switch to Mission Control, the preview thumb for Desktop 1 always shows as empty, regardless of the windows that are on it. Additional desktops work fine (as you can see, I have Mail open in the second desktop and it shows, but Firefox in the first one is invisible).

Anyone know why this is and if I can fix it? I don't have this problem on my Air so I can only suspect it's an artefact of the upgrade, but want to see if there's anything I can modify to fix it.

Thanks.

blaichch

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2014
Augsburg, Germany
Just want to add some information to this since I had the same issue on macOS High Sierra. For me it was caused by the application Shades. So you might want to check out some third party applications!

Fzarpo

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2018
Just want to add some information to this since I had the same issue on macOS High Sierra. For me it was caused by the application Shades. So you might want to check out some third party applications!
Ah, so that's what's causing this!
Did you manage to find a worthy replacement for Shades?
Everything else I've tried just adds a superficial filter to the desktop and doesn't extend to Mission Control or the Dashboard. Unacceptable when working at night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.