Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Is there a way to know what posts have been moderated? The current system notifies violators WHY a post was moderated but fails to specify which post it pertains to.

I ask because I will, on occasion, get notified that a post has been deleted/moderated, but generally these posts/threads have long since been “purged from my RAM.“

It seems like it would be a beneficial feature to be able to view/know which posts were moderated so that mistakes could be learned from and avoided in the future.

I don’t know if the software easily allows this feature, but thought it worth mentioning.

all the best

Last edited:

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I'm pretty sure that when a staff member removes / edits your post they can give you a reason behind it. So, yes, it can be done. But it's just not done here too often.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I'm pretty sure that when a staff member removes / edits your post they can give you a reason behind it. So, yes, it can be done. But it's just not done here too often.
I think you misread or misunderstood. Mods do generally provide a reason why a post was deleted, but unless the offending post was particularly memorable or recent, there’s no way to know WHICH post it’s all in reference to.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is there a way to know what posts have been moderated? The current system notifies violators WHY a post was moderated but fails to specify which post it pertains to.

We don't have an option to send that type of notification and there is no way for you to see your own deleted posts. The current system just allows a mod to type in the reason the post was removed. If you are really curious about a particular notice, just send in a contact us query and we can get you an answer. Not a problem at all.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I'll just add that there are three situations in which a post would get edited or deleted, and the software handles them differently.
  1. Reminder/warning - these always include a quote of the post in question (at the bottom of the message).
  2. Inline editing - in these cases the issue is usually so minor that the work is done on the fly, and an inline message is sent to the user. Unfortunately that sort of message doesn't include a quote, but everything is always documented - both by us and in the software - so please do ask if you'd like to be sent a copy of the post/original wording in question.
  3. Suspension - these are sometimes not done on the basis of a single post, but of a posting pattern that has existed over time. In those cases, the technical administration is done yet a third way, and no quote is sent. Again, please do ask if you want a copy of the post sent to you.
It's unfortunate that users have to ask in some cases, and we apologize for the extra work it causes users. We wish quotes of posts were automatically sent in all cases, and are more than happy to provide a copy of the post.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'll just add that there are three situations in which a post would get edited or deleted, and the software handles them differently.
  1. Reminder/warning - these always include a quote of the post in question (at the bottom of the message).
  2. Inline editing - in these cases the issue is usually so minor that the work is done on the fly, and an inline message is sent to the user. Unfortunately that sort of message doesn't include a quote, but everything is always documented - both by us and in the software - so please do ask if you'd like to be sent a copy of the post/original wording in question.
  3. Suspension - these are sometimes not done on the basis of a single post, but of a posting pattern that has existed over time. In those cases, the technical administration is done yet a third way, and no quote is sent. Again, please do ask if you want a copy of the post sent to you.
It's unfortunate that users have to ask in some cases, and we apologize for the extra work it causes users. We wish quotes of posts were automatically sent in all cases, and are more than happy to provide a copy of the post.

There is another, also, when a post - which was a reply or response to a deleted and/or moderated post posted by another poster - is itself either edited or deleted.

The explanation for that is usually appended in a notification (from a mod) and tends to be pretty self-evident.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
There is another, also, when a post - which was a reply or response to a deleted and/or moderated post posted by another poster - is itself either edited or deleted.
That is part of what we refer to as inline editing in #2 there.

Like you mentioned, often after a post is moderated there are replies to that post that no longer make sense without the context of the moderated post. Usually moderators will send you an inline notice something like "Reply to moderated post" so you understand why your post disappeared.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That is part of what we refer to as inline editing in #2 there.

Like you mentioned, often after a post is moderated there are replies to that post that no longer make sense without the context of the moderated post. Usually moderators will send you an inline notice something like "Reply to moderated post" so you understand why your post disappeared.

Completely understood, and that is how I assumed it worked, but thanks for the clarification.

Reactions: Weaselboy

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
@annk As always, thank you for the thoughtful and detailed reply. Additional thanks to @Weaselboy

Perhaps it's a limitation of the software, but does no one else find it odd that reminders/warnings have the ability to quote the offending verbiage, but when a post is deleted outright, this feature isn't available?

Reactions: annk

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Perhaps it's a limitation of the software, but does no one else find it odd that reminders/warnings have the ability to quote the offending verbiage, but when a post is deleted outright, this feature isn't available?
The inline note notification does tell you what thread it was, so I suppose the expectation is you would have some memory of what you posted as long as it wasn't too long ago. For this reason if the post is somewhat old I often don't send any notice at all thinking it will just confuse the member.

The other issue is a mod might delete maybe eight posts all at once, so the same note gets sent to everybody.

I guess it would be possible for the Xenforo devs. to add the feature you mentioned, but I have not seen a huge outcry for it.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
The inline note notification does tell you what thread it was, so I suppose the expectation is you would have some memory of what you posted as long as it wasn't too long ago. For this reason if the post is somewhat old I often don't send any notice at all thinking it will just confuse the member.

The other issue is a mod might delete maybe eight posts all at once, so the same note gets sent to everybody.

I guess it would be possible for the Xenforo devs. to add the feature you mentioned, but I have not seen a huge outcry for it.
Oh well, just a thought for those of us repeat offenders who find ourselves themselves wondering what exactly got stricken from the record.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
@annk As always, thank you for the thoughtful and detailed reply. Additional thanks to @Weaselboy

Yes, I think it would be much better if the software at least gave the option of always being able to send a quote of the post to the user, no matter which operation was chosen. But at least our routines, together with the possibilites the software does have, make it easy to document everything, so we can always supply a copy to users who would like them.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.