Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
hey all, used to be huge in this forum. dont recognize anyone still...

so with this HUGE news coming out about 12.4 exploited...and being out this game forever.

what do you guys jailbreak your devices for now? we used to have lockinfo for lockscreen tweaks/ UI design. other little UI tweaks here and there. untethered hotspot etc...

just wondering if i wanna take a trip down memory lane and jailbreak my X, is cydia even around anymore??

thanks for any updates guys!

anthdci

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
cydia is still around. But due to the massive reduction in the community over the last few years, parts of it have become unsupported, such as purchases. There are other options for that though. There is also a rival called sileo which is part of the chimera jailbreak, that seems like better UI to me but I am not sure what the other differences actually are.

Most of the tweaks I put on back in the ios5/6/7 days have actually been put into the stock OS now, but I still jailbreak for the icon layout, 4x4 folders, more dock apps and allowing youtube to play in the background so there are still some advantages to it.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
youtube in the background can be done without jailbreak. but you have to purchase yearly signatures for example from appdb. I may do callbar when I jailbreak but it's not a must-have for me for now.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
hey all, used to be huge in this forum. dont recognize anyone still...

so with this HUGE news coming out about 12.4 exploited...and being out this game forever.

what do you guys jailbreak your devices for now? we used to have lockinfo for lockscreen tweaks/ UI design. other little UI tweaks here and there. untethered hotspot etc...

just wondering if i wanna take a trip down memory lane and jailbreak my X, is cydia even around anymore??

Yeah, this forum is looking really sparse. Where did all the people asking, "Can I jb iOS XX.X?" go??? And where's Applejuiced??? :)

I'm in the exact same boat. Just updated from 11.2.5 to 12.4 to keep my options open, but then was racking my brain to figure out just what jb tweak I would want/need. o_O

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I had every phone jailbroken on some version of iOS until this year, since my iP4. It is / was not a smooth transition from Cydia to Sileo and a lot of ppl seem to be in it for fame and fortune now, not the same. I don’t even trust the Jb, tweak devs like I used to. So when my jb broke on 11.3 the beta for 13 was already available and I’ve been using that all summer on my 6s plus. (Yes, I have not upgraded for years to keep a good jailbroken device as my main unit!). Honestly, iOS 13 is really a good compromise of old jb tweaks with Apple reliability and security. SO, my next phone will likely be an 11 with stock OS and I expect that will keep me perfectly happy.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I jailbroke last week (haven't jailbroken in 3 years or so) and most of what I've added is minor tweaking to what's already in iOS..."window dressing".

But some tweaks actually help me more than that:

I've got Activator switching off wifi when I connect to my car's bluetooth because often the wifi is still connected in the driveway but it's unusable. I previously had more stuff set up in Activator but I don't remember what it was!

AskBeforeCalling Too 12 prevents me misdialing.

Banner Sounds 12 lets me change the default iOS notification sound, for apps that use it, to something distinctive per app..

BrowserDefault changes my default web browser.

BTRenamer lets me give Bluetooth devices names that make sense (instead of "XT524" or whatever).

CallBar XS
keeps incoming calls from taking over the screen.

Gmailer12 makes a fetch Gmail account more push-like.

WiFi Passwords shows the passwords of your saved wifi spots.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
youtube in the background can be done without jailbreak. but you have to purchase yearly signatures for example from appdb. I may do callbar when I jailbreak but it's not a must-have for me for now.
alternatively you could use one of the many free appstore alternatives like appvalley, tweakbox etc. most of them have a youtube++ or curcube with background play, you then can use a pseudo vpn based adblocker (eg, adguard pro, adblock, there are a few free ones cant remember) to block the server apple uses for revokes and voila same functionality but free

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.