Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Since updating to Mojave, I have quite some issues with Aperture: the program is generally quite slow, tends to freeze, and occasionally completely crashes.

I already tried all possible built-in fixes for the library, so this does not seem to be the cause.

Anyone else having similar problems?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Back when I had the beta installed on my iMac and I was looking at Aperture for some old images, I had quite a bit of problems. I think if you want to stick with Aperture, you shouldn't upgrade your OS.

Reactions: crjackson2134

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
I am running Aperture (along with Adobe Lightroom) on Mohave and not only have had no issues whatsoever but I think it actually runs better and faster than it ever has on any previous OS. Of course that may be because my main boot drive for Mohave is now a Samsung NVMe on PCIe and I keep the photo libraries on striped mirrored pairs (Apple Raid 10?) of spinning disks in the main HDD bays.

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
Aperture (with Affinity Photo plugged in) has no problems on Mojave, except a few dropped frames when scrolling. It's running better than it did on High Sierra, Sierra and El Capitan.

tomdelom

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
Maybe it would be helpful if we would offer technical specs about our used equipment. Then we could optimize our systems to get Aperture to work.
Also it would be helpful to know if we did a clean install of Mojave or just upgraded our existing systems.

I am using a Mac Pro 2012, 3,33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 24 GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 280X 3072 MB. I upgraded a clone of my High Sierra Boot drive. Mojave is 10.14.2.

I am seeing spinning wheels and crashes. I encountered problems with brushes, they work but the boundaries are not shown sometimes. Magnifier works but does not have any ui rendering. Soft Proof only works in print view, but that bug started in High Sierra.

Probably its related to my AMD Radeon R9 280X, which is based on a officially supported 7950. Photoshop CC is lame as a duck. Photoshop CS 6 works pretty good...

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'm wondering if some of the "conflicts" that show up between Aperture and Mojave may be due to the APFS file system (of which Aperture has "no knowledge") ??

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
Maybe it would be helpful if we would offer technical specs about our used equipment. Then we could optimize our systems to get Aperture to work.
Also it would be helpful to know if we did a clean install of Mojave or just upgraded our existing systems.

I am using a Mac Pro 2012, 3,33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 24 GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 280X 3072 MB. I upgraded a clone of my High Sierra Boot drive. Mojave is 10.14.2.

I am seeing spinning wheels and crashes. I encountered problems with brushes, they work but the boundaries are not shown sometimes. Magnifier works but does not have any ui rendering. Soft Proof only works in print view, but that bug started in High Sierra.

Probably its related to my AMD Radeon R9 280X, which is based on a officially supported 7950. Photoshop CC is lame as a duck. Photoshop CS 6 works pretty good...
I am not having any of these problems under Mojave (10.14.1 - haven't installed 10.14.2 yet). Note that my photo database is not stored within Aperture on the APFS boot drive; all photo files are on a separate HPFS raid set.

GFS

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2019
Since updating to Mojave, I have quite some issues with Aperture: the program is generally quite slow, tends to freeze, and occasionally completely crashes.

I already tried all possible built-in fixes for the library, so this does not seem to be the cause.

With yesterday's news about Aperture not being supported in 10.15, perhaps this is too late for you ... but ...

You can fix pretty all Aperture problems, by exporting individual Projects as Libraries. Once you've done that, you can decide to leave them as individual libraries, or ... make a new empty Library and choose to Merge the Libraries that you would prefer as Projects in a larger Library. It's a very simple process, but may take a little while, depending the giganticness of your Library. :)

Basically, this makes Aperture completely rebuild the Library in a way that it does not do when you choose to Repair or Rebuild (Option-Key when launching Aperture). I was having problems similar to those you describe, plus some weird behaviour with some Adjustments. This fixed everything, including speed problems.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
Keep in mind that Apple ceased development of Aperture in June 2014 - that's five (5) years ago. It's time to move on to something current. Photos for Mac with certain Extensions is a viable option. Luminar 3 is decent, as is Alien Skin Exposure. The other option is to move to Lightroom.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Photos for Mac with certain Extensions is a viable option. ... The other option is to move to Lightroom.
While the editing features are okay, Photos is still severly lacking in many other ways: no ratings, no stacking, worse support for smart folders, worse support for keywords, worse library support... the list goes on and on. And none of this can be added with extensions.

And Lightroom is only an option if you want to keep shoving an ever increasing amount of your money into Adobe's pocket.

Last edited:
Reactions: martyjmclean

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
While the editing features are okay, Photos is still severly lacking in many other ways: no ratings, no stacking, worse support for smart folders, worse support for keywords, worse library support... the list goes on and on. And none of this can be added with extensions.

And Lightroom is only an option if you want to keep shoving an ever increasing amount of your money into Adobe's pocket.
FYI Adobe pulled back on their pricing increase for their Photography Creative Cloud plan.

You might want to send your complaints/suggestions to Apple to see if they'll include them in the next macOS update.

mrdunderhead

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2015
interesting so here are my system specs.

Mac Pro 5,1
8 gigs of ram
1TB hard drive
running mojave
hd radeon 4870 512 megs

have had no issues with aperture at all you need to look at Mac OS X caching files this can slow down the systems performance and cause issues with aperture

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
Photos for Mac with certain Extensions is a viable option.

Strangely, the crashing has appeared on my system recently.

How is Photos organization wise nowadays? Also read that EXIF editing is now possible. Does this include location and date & time changes?

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Aperture crashes for me when I try to import pictures at the same time when photo stream syncs. So now I just wait for the sync to finish before I start importing pictures.

Reactions: vjl323
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.