Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fox_ip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2018
I desperately need to upgrade my processor for my mid-2012 macpro.

This is the one here:

I'm trying to resolve some performance issues I have while gaming.

I recently installed an RTX 2070, and I am content~ with the performance for the most part, but only because its a good bit better than what I had before with my AMD card. Many modern games demand more from the CPU, and that's what I'm trying to resolve.

I don't really know what determines compatibility, so I'm hoping someone with more expertise could give me a few options.

Currently running exclusively Windows on the machine. No desire for Mac OS, and no bootcamp.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
With a 3.33 Ghz CPU. Your only upgrade option is the 3.46Ghz model. Which would barely make any difference in games. Trying to upgrade to dual CPU for 12-Cores wouldn't be much help. As so few games benefit with more cores. Plus it is fairly expensive for the tiny boost.

Your best bet would be a new computer build. Moving over your RTX 2070. Which your Mac Pro could cover much of the cost if you sold it. The Mac Pro is a great computer. However, for gaming, it is like using a 1st generation Core i7. Which is well below the recommended specs for modern games.

Reactions: OkiRun and Fox_ip

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
Does your Mac have a NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD installed as your boot device ? If it doesn't your gaming performance should improve remarkably . It should not be that expensive .

In as far as your processor is concerned , there isn't much you can do . Possibly , you might gain some marginal performance by swapping out your six core 3.33 for a quad 3.46 ( X5677 ) . It's also dirt cheap . Gaming probably doesn't require more than 4 cores anyways .

Reactions: Fox_ip

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Xeon W3690 if you have a single CPU slot. Gelid GC Extreme or Kryonaut Thermal Grizzly thermal compound to go on it. Make sure memory is in triple channel mode. Probably won't make much of a difference but every little bit helps. Install RTSS Server and set a framerate limit to enforce consistent frame pacing.

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
Xeon W3690 if you have a single CPU slot. Gelid GC Extreme or Kryonaut Thermal Grizzly thermal compound to go on it. Make sure memory is in triple channel mode. Probably won't make much of a difference but every little bit helps. Install RTSS Server and set a framerate limit to enforce consistent frame pacing.

Both those pastes , as well as Arctic MX4 , can be safely applied by a neophyte . They're all electrically non conductive .

But MX4 will have greater durability and is more affordable . Guys that run high performance editing machines will use it . It'll last 5 to 10 years .

If he's worried about heat , then a four core x5677 will have a slightly greater thermal envelope compared to a X5690 / W3690 . He might not need more than four cores for gaming anyways . In the USA , a X5677 will cost around $12 . A X5690 will cost around $80 . And a W3690 will cost around $85 .

Three channel memory installation rules with these machines ! He'll get a 10-12 percent system wide speed boost installing three identical memory modules in an UP cMP 4,1 or 5,1 .

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
Thanks all.

I did a little research and you can only install Windows 10 on a 2.5" or 3.5" SATA HDD or SSD in a cMP . You cannot install Win 10 on a NVMe drive since windows requires UEFI for that operation and our cMP does not support that . It's an EFI machine . So sadly, no NVMe drive for you . Unless you like macOS :)

Last edited:

Fox_ip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2018
I did a little research and you can only install Windows 10 on a 2.5" or 3.5" SATA HDD or SSD in a cMP . You cannot install Win 10 on a NVMe drive since windows requires UEFI for that operation and our cMP does not support that . It's an EFI machine . So sadly, no NVMe drive for you . Unless you like macOS :)

Oh gosh. Better cancel my order. Any Windows alternative?

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
Can somebody here verify that the OP can boot Windows 10 from a AHCI M.2 PCIe SSD in a cMP ?
[automerge]1578288107[/automerge]
Oh gosh. Better cancel my order. Any windows alternative?

There might be an AHCI drive solution . We're trying to get you a fast Windows drive so you can game hard on a cMP ;) . AHCI was the interface standard that predated NVMe . Both can be used in our cMPs . It might be possible for you to use an old AHCI M.2 drive ( with the same Sintech adapter I recommended earlier ) you can buy from eBay , since new drives are no longer made . But , it will be faster than a SATA SSD .

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.