Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
I don't want to sound pedantic, but what does this discussion have to do with "Most won't be able to afford a new Mac Pro?"
When discussions about the inability, for whatever reason, of people to purchase the 7,1 Mac Pro discussions often move to people using alternatives. Typically the alternative is to change to another platform and, often times, this means using Windows. Invariably someone responds to that suggestion with "Windows isn't an option because it suxor" and examples dating back to the 1990's follow.

I do not recommend alternative platforms because I dislike Macs, macOS, or even Apple but rather that Apple does not make a system that many people on this forum want. Thus my position is either suck it up and buy the 7,1 Mac Pro or move to an alternative. This does not mean I am not sympathetic to their concerns. What I find annoying is the immediate dismissal of the latter based on outdated information. When examples are given which include mention of BeOS one has to question when was the last time that individual used Windows.

As someone who lived through the entire era of Macs and Windows I find it easy to spot examples which were valid decades ago but are no longer the case today. When I see them I call people out for it. Not to be argumentative but rather to state "Windows is a lot different today than it was back then". Is Windows perfect? Certainly not. But it's not nearly the problem today that it once was.

In addition I am attempting to help someone with their problem. I did ask that they send me the information I requested and not post it to this forum.

Hopefully that answers your question.

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
If you were looking for a new financial advisor and they arrived in a 20 year old rusted out Ford would you be inclined to trust them with your investments?
A 20 year old Ford? No way.

Current year Toyota. Maybe.
If my vendors arrive in a ten year old Honda that looks well kept I'd never think twice.
Ten year old Honda (a 20 year old Honda even). Hell, yes, sign that guy up now. Obviously makes good, frugal economic choices. Just what you want in a financial advisor.

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
A 20 year old Ford? No way.

Current year Toyota. Maybe.

Ten year old Honda (a 20 year old Honda even). Hell, yes, sign that guy up now. Obviously makes good, frugal economic choices. Just what you want in a financial advisor.
In Japan it means your unemployed or incompetent or the lowest turd on the hierarchy ~ definitely not one to go to a customers business in your vehicle. Of course, the boss should have known that before he sent you. I'm sure the boss also made a personal apology for that happening.
And better have some serious yen in your pocket not only for the Mac Pro 7.1 but for the mandatory office drinking meeting after work tonight - which comes 4 hours after your official time off but you're still at the office working so no sweat. And don't think it's optional to decline. It isn't.
And better be ready to buy some golf clubs in addition to the 7.1 when the boss tells you to so you can take customers to the course and make deals. And don't think it's optional to decline. It isn't.
Good news ~ it's not too difficult to tell the boss you need the 7.1 for work in order to bring in the customers and keep the workflow churning. He's not immune to wanting to 'look boss'.

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
In Japan it means your unemployed or incompetent or the lowest turd on the hierarchy ~ definitely not one to go to a customers business in your vehicle.
I'm not in Japan so why would I care how it is in Japan? In my neck of the woods driving a well kept Honda, even if old (maybe especially if old), is the epitome of a sound financial decision.

Reactions: gxxr

MGrayson3

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
There is, indeed, an Apple computer that doesn't exist and that many people want: a gaming PC. Fast, cheap components, easy to modify and upgrade. The Mac Pro is not that machine, and would be a waste for someone who would prefer an Alienware clone. I frequently think Hackintosh. Building it is one thing. Maintaining it is another.

I believe Apple has a good reason for avoiding this segment. The stability of the MacOS is, I think, related to the relatively small number of different systems that need testing for each upgrade. There are, and always have been, hundreds of times as many Windows machine configurations. Thus everyone has a unique experience, and those who don't have problems don't understand or believe the ones who do.

My experience (I've used EVERYTHING, but everyone says that) is that a Windows or UNIX environment is great as long as someone else is the sysadmin. My brother-in-law is a good enough celebrity photographer that he gets all his equipment free from companies that want him to provide endorsements. He moved from Apple to Dell. He can get Dell on the phone immediately to troubleshoot, and get wonky equipment replaced the same day. As long as Photoshop and Lightroom work, he's fine.

Reactions: gxxr

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
It’s getting really tiresome to keep watching obviously non windows users ranting on windows 10 while my PC machine runs perfectly fine 247 most of times. Yes I get the annoyance of forced update requiring reboot. That one thing I agree which is really annoying compare to Mac OS. But all those unstable and crashing PC issue is overblown. The fact that there are many instances is because so many people are using variety of hardware setup which most of time is consisted of old or faulty hardwares.

Guys. Windows 10 is a good enough OS that doesn’t just crash. Combined with freedom to choose any parts and any configuration you‘d want, PC is still a great choice for those who care.

Mac OS really shines when it comes to personalization stuff such as icloud photo sharing and seamless integration among Apple devices. Personally, my real personal machine is Mac because of that. But when it comes down to heavy crunching work, nothing from Apple can beat nicely configured PC. I spent about 2,500 USD for custom PC, and with that price tag, it’s really a beast. I wouldn’t have done that if Windows 10 were really that unstable as some of you here trying to portray as.

Reactions: defjam

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
But all those unstable and crashing PC issue is overblown. The fact that there are many instances is because so many people are using variety of hardware setup which most of time is consisted of old or faulty hardwares.
Awesome. Can we stop pushing it to people who want a setup that will last a long time (eventually old) or who want to tinker ("faulty" parts)?
Guys. Windows 10 is a good enough OS that doesn’t just crash. Combined with freedom to choose any parts and any configuration you‘d want, PC is still a great choice for those who care.

Except "old or faulty hardwares". Really, if you want that freedom, you should be on Linux, not Windows. Choose Windows if you are going to be buying totally OEM setup and keeping it for less than three years. Also helps if you are an enterprise customer.

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
Awesome. Can we stop pushing it to people who want a setup that will last a long time (eventually old) or who want to tinker ("faulty" parts)?

Except "old or faulty hardwares". Really, if you want that freedom, you should be on Linux, not Windows. Choose Windows if you are going to be buying totally OEM setup and keeping it for less than three years. Also helps if you are an enterprise customer.

Was I making any reference to Linux? Of course. You can make any decision on any os, but I was emphasizing Windows 10 is also a good viable option unlike those foul sayers who really doesn't use Windows and discount it as such.

Also, my definition of old is more than 5 years old. If you plan to use a professional machine for more than 5 years, you are not really a target demographic of Mac Pro. For example, if you are still using MP 5,1 and perfectly happy with it or contend with, then get iMac and be happy. It will not change anything you do. Don't pretend all those "professional movie makers" or "industrial people" whom this Mac Pro 7,1 is really for as Apple defenders say, they don't care about using it for more than that long.

I'm kinda confused. With recent fiasco with MBP '16~'19 15", and perhaps MP 6,1 with graphic thermal problem, Apple pretty much has been a joke when it comes to reliability. Now they are doing something and trying to fix their credibility with, hopefully, 16" and 7,1. With the company with bad recent track record, I think you are putting too much emphasis on "want a setup that will last a long time". of course unless, you mean you are forced to keep a setup that will have to last a long time just like the time Apple took to get from 6,1 to 7,1 or rather 5,1 to 7,1, then i agree :)

Reactions: defjam

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
It's hard to come up with a rational reason for Apple to withhold pricing information at this point. I don't think they're penchant for secrecy is a good strategy for this product.

In the meantime, this is what it's come down to: People on a Mac Pro forum turning almost every thread into a discussion of Windows.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
It's hard to come up with a rational reason for Apple to withhold pricing information at this point. I don't think they're penchant for secrecy is a good strategy for this product.

If Apple is kicking the can all the way up to the 20th and haggling with Intel about getting rid of most (if not all) of the > 1TB $3K tax then perhaps. Throw in some possible brilliant trade-war moves and counter moves on component pricing outside of their control and they could be stalling hoping for better info there ( past the 15th either that will racket up or hit a stable point for a while. )

But if they are looking for the 10th through 12th. Not really. Almost two weeks away then perhaps.

Either Apple's guess about what configuration folks would most want is either going to be highly accurate or yet another SNAFU to getting new systems into the hands of users. My guess is that they have only talked to a subset of "big buying" users and really only targeting them with the initial launch.

But yes kind of a chuckle that the options for the XDR monitor are fully out there ($999 for a stand) and
Apple still has this cloak of surprise wrapped up on the Mac Pro when probably creeping up on less than a iPhone pre-oder window length away from launch.

In the meantime, this is what it's come down to: People on a Mac Pro forum turning almost every thread into a discussion of Windows.

That isn't going to particularly 'frighten' Apple. 90+ % of the classic PC market is on Windows. So most folks are buying Windows systems anyway. They'd have to be clueless also not to have seen some subset leave during the 'lost years' from 2014-2017.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK

I was thinking the same thing, I thought this thread was about the macpro, not whether windows is any good...... ?

Reactions: ct2k7

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Since forever, whenever apple hardware comes up for discussion, cheaper Windows alternatives do to. It's an intertwined relationship

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
I am "pushing" it in the context that Apple does not offer an entry to mid level expandable, headless desktop system. It is not my intent to push anyone off of macOS for the sake of pushing them off of macOS. My intent is to say if Apple no longer makes a system, such as the aforementioned desktop, then you should really be looking into alternatives. Typically the alternative is usually Windows but I am not pushing Windows as there are other alternatives.

I feel this is reasonable advice for those who find themselves outside of Apples current product portfolio. However there are, invariably, those who will state Windows is not an alternative due to some form of problem or another. The majority of the examples of problems provided appear to be rooted in versions long since retired. Calling people out for using such arguments is, IMO, reasonable.
[automerge]1575904802[/automerge]
Nothing wrong with the discussion, but why not create a new thread, something like New Mac Pro Alternatives.
See my post #390.

Reactions: ssgbryan

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
if your a wealthy Boomer buy a Pro for your grand child. They need it.

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
What more is there to say about the Mac Pro until such time as something changes? For the past few years Apple has been radio silent on the new Mac Pro. All discussion about it is speculation, disappointment (based on the few bits of information we have), excitement, and now discussing why or why not people have / have not received e-mails. I think discussion of alternatives, when someone brings up their disappointment with the new Mac Pro, is reasonable and, IMO, more constructive than discussing the receipt (or not) of a notification e-mail.

Last edited:

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
The New Mac Pro is announced at a starting price of $6000.

"It's an investment!" they said.

"It'll pay for itself in no time," they said.

"The price is irrelevant because it's gonna make you money," they said.

I'm sold! Unfortunately, budgetary issues will force me to buy it piecemeal. So I'm starting with the $1000 monitor stand.

Once that pays for itself, I'll get the monitor…

heh. kidding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.