Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 9, 2002
According to a new PDF file which can be found at mosr Motorolla's current powerpc architecture can eventually take them to 3ghz+ but their current roadmap only takes them to 1ghz with the7455 . We will probably be seeing that chip in the future imacs, and maybe powerbooks too. But they say "G4+" which means they don't have any plans to stop working with apple right away, as G# is a name that Apple gives, not motorolla. But will Apple use them all the way to 3ghz or beyond? If not how slow is moto gonna have to advance to get dropped? I am not seeing a real great processor in Apples future (If they adopt the 970 they might pull ahead eventually, but they will only be equal at the start), but Apple really needs some great product if they want to keep alive.

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Re: Motorolla's Future w/ Apple

Originally posted by Chaszmyr
According to a new PDF file which can be found at mosr Motorolla's current powerpc architecture can eventually take them to 3ghz+ but their current roadmap only takes them to 1ghz with the7455 . We will probably be seeing that chip in the future imacs, and maybe powerbooks too. But they say "G4+" which means they don't have any plans to stop working with apple right away, as G# is a name that Apple gives, not motorolla. But will Apple use them all the way to 3ghz or beyond? If not how slow is moto gonna have to advance to get dropped? I am not seeing a real great processor in Apples future (If they adopt the 970 they might pull ahead eventually, but they will only be equal at the start), but Apple really needs some great product if they want to keep alive.

That PDF doesnt say anything we already know. Apple is gonna make one or two more revisions with Moto's chip on the PowerMac. The rest of Apple's lineup will continue to use them for another year or two.

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
If the 7457 is on schedule, my guess is they will migrate the PM lineup to the 7457 early 2003 and follow up with the other models as soon as Motorola can produce enough of them.

Assuming Apple adopts the 970 from IBM, the PM should migrate to the 970 late 2003 - early 2004, and the remainder of the iMac/eMac/portables will stay 7457.
I'm assuming that IBM is not going to be able to shrink the power budget on the 970 much. As a result, I don't see how it would make sense to put a 1.2GHz 970 in the PB in place of a 1.8GHz 7457.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.