Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPJones

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2022
I've been using a 2013 iMac for a good while now and am thinking of buying a laptop as I could do with the portability (and updates!).

Has anyone else made a similar switch? If so, how did you find going from the relatively large screen to much less 'real estate'? I mainly work via Zoom and with a few pdfs/Keynote presentations open, so am a little concerned I'd find the screen size too small.

SPJones

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2022
If you do go that route, it will definitely be an adjustment. I did the same thing and don't regret it. I suggest getting the 15" MBA as the bigger screen will make portable work life a little easier for you.
Thanks Robert. How long did it take for you to adjust? At the moment, I sometimes use my wife's HP Windows laptop when I'm working away from home and the difference is a bit frustrating at times.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Thanks Robert. How long did it take for you to adjust? At the moment, I sometimes use my wife's HP Windows laptop when I'm working away from home and the difference is a bit frustrating at times.
It took me several months. I used the 13" MBA until recently when the 15" released. I often found the 13" too small for spreadsheet / pdf / side by side work.

SPJones

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2022
It took me several months. I used the 13" MBA until recently when the 15" released. I often found the 13" too small for spreadsheet / pdf / side by side work.
Good point.

Just before Covid I did two semesters of a college course on only a regular iPad. Splitscreen was fun. I don't think my optometrist approved.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Has anyone else made a similar switch? If so, how did you find going from the relatively large screen to much less 'real estate'? I mainly work via Zoom and with a few pdfs/Keynote presentations open, so am a little concerned I'd find the screen size too small.

You get used to it. But why limit yourself to just the laptop screen? Get a larger standalone screen for when you are stationary and use the laptop in clamshell.

Reactions: SPJones

SPJones

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2022
You get used to it. But why limit yourself to just the laptop screen? Get a larger standalone screen for when you are stationary and use the laptop in clamshell.
Interesting idea - thanks Lee.

I was also thinking about just getting a 13" MBA and using my iPad as a second display as and when needed. The vast majority of my working day is interviewing people on Zoom and laptop screen is probably enough. In fact, if it weren't for having to occasionally screen share, I'd be quite happy doing the whole thing on my iPad or phone!

Reactions: LeeW

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I was also thinking about just getting a 13" MBA and using my iPad as a second display as and when needed.

I use my iPad as a 3rd screen, works really well to be fair. You will probably be fine with that setup. But, if you can, I would visit an Apple store and see the 13 and 15 side by side. There is a big difference in screen real estate. It doesn't sound like much of a difference but it is.

Unless you are set on the 13" of course. I have the 13, I get on fine with it despite my tired, old eyes :)

Reactions: SPJones
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.