Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetfreak98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Hi. I have a pretty complicated HomeKit setup in my apartment, with a whole bunch of lights and accessories. This includes native HomeKit devices, as well as a number of devices connected through HomeBridge and Home Assistant (via Synology) and Indigo (via my Mac).

One of the unofficial connections is with Ring, for which I have their alarm. The integration works great.

Over the weekend, I installed a Ring alarm at my mother’s home and made myself an administrator to remotely trouble shoot issues. In doing so, all of her many Ring Alarm sensors and devices showed up in my Home home app — but all under my own home.

I dumped all those devices into a room called “Mom’s Home” but what I’d really like to do is move them all to a new proper Home (e.g., via the Add Home function), so they don’t co-mingle with my home devices at all. I have created the new home (called ”Mom’s Home” — duh), but I cannot figure out how to actually move the devices to that home.

Any one have any ideas?

Thanks!

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Hi. I have a pretty complicated HomeKit setup in my apartment, with a whole bunch of lights and accessories. This includes native HomeKit devices, as well as a number of devices connected through HomeBridge and Home Assistant (via Synology) and Indigo (via my Mac).

One of the unofficial connections is with Ring, for which I have their alarm. The integration works great.

Over the weekend, I installed a Ring alarm at my mother’s home and made myself an administrator to remotely trouble shoot issues. In doing so, all of her many Ring Alarm sensors and devices showed up in my Home home app — but all under my own home.

I dumped all those devices into a room called “Mom’s Home” but what I’d really like to do is move them all to a new proper Home (e.g., via the Add Home function), so they don’t co-mingle with my home devices at all. I have created the new home (called ”Mom’s Home” — duh), but I cannot figure out how to actually move the devices to that home.

Any one have any ideas?

Thanks!
Not sure but my guess would be that they can’t be moved. I think you have to create the new home first then add the accessories to it from there

Reactions: Bgosh

Bgosh

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2016
Las Vegas

Any one have any ideas?

Thanks!
If I'm understanding your set up correctly, I believe you'd need to run a separate instance of homebridge with the plug in for her devices and add that to your mom's "home". AFAIK, you can't have one instance of homebridge (with the devices its exposing) paired to more than one home, but you can run two separate instances on one machine with separate config files. I've never done it, but I've seen a few guides out there. I don't have experience with any ring plug ins specifically, but something to look into if an easier solution doesn't present itself.

Reactions: jocamero

gadgetfreak98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
If I'm understanding your set up correctly, I believe you'd need to run a separate instance of homebridge with the plug in for her devices and add that to your mom's "home". AFAIK, you can't have one instance of homebridge (with the devices its exposing) paired to more than one home, but you can run two separate instances on one machine with separate config files. I've never done it, but I've seen a few guides out there. I don't have experience with any ring plug ins specifically, but something to look into if an easier solution doesn't present itself.

I think you are right. The challenge I have is that she invited me to her account, so it all comes through the Ring app. So I only have one Ring account, which means there no way that I can think of of splitting that apart....

josephferencz

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2021
If you are using lifx lights with an apple device, you can go into lifx app > open light menu > light menu (3 dots) > light settings > under homekit, press remove > pair > choose another home then room. thats the only way i know :/

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
hi. I don't have a Ring product but imagine they don't allow two accts for the same product? (maybe sign in when needed to her acct?)
if possible, can you...

create a second ring acct called "mom" (with alt email if needed)
grant access from her ring to your "mom" Ring acct
create new "home" in HomeKit for her settings

<if working> delete mom ring from your acct

or possibly just use her ring acct login on your Ring app to login?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I use homebridge but not ring, so not sure exactly how this works, but in the docs for the ring plugin (not sure which plugin you're using) there's a section for locationIds

you might be able to filter her devices out using that

if that works, and you want her stuff in a different home in homekit, you'll need to run a second instance of homebridge, and add her locationIds instead of yours. You can probably still run both instances at your house since it pulls from ring's servers, and also on the same computer as the other instance, you can find tutorials online on how to do this.

if that doesn't work, since this is really a homebridge issue, and not homekit, I suggest r/homebridge over on reddit, or in the issues page on the plugin's page on GitHub.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.