Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
" 144.0.0.0.0, High Sierra and Mojave METAL unsupported NVIDIA GPUs:

If you want to upgrade to BootROM 144.0.0.0.0 to use High Sierra and a Maxwell or Pascal NVIDIA GPU, if your GPU is working correctly with High Sierra NVIDIA WEB drivers, you can use the Mojave installer to upgrade the BootROM.

Lot's of people have been using GTX 980/1080 with 10.13.6 and upgrading to current BootROMs without any problems."

I want to try this, but I don't know how to do the procedure!
Anybody helpme?
Thanks
Stop spamming threads, you posted this numerous times today.

Read the first post multiple times until you fully understand it.

A METAL supported GPU is needed for the Mojave firmware upgrade process, the firmware flasher will check if the METAL supported GPU is working, don't matter if you want to stay with High Sierra, you have to do the firmware upgrade to 144.0.0.0.0 to have NVMe bootable support.

Last edited:

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
I have read through the original post, but I am still a bit confused about what I need to do in my case.

I have a Mac Pro 2012 5,1 currently showing Boot ROM version MP51.007F.B03 and running Sierra 10.12.6.

I will eventually want to upgrade to Mojave, but I do not yet have a Metal-Enabled card. Therefore, I currently just want to upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra. The reason is that Adobe just released their new CC2020 software updates and they apparently require High Sierra (minimum) to allow the install.

Can you tell me what I need to do to just make this incremental upgrade (keeping in mind that Mojave will be the ultimate goal down the road)?

Thanks!

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
@choreo you need to let us know what GPU you’re currently using. Several BootROM updates, but you can get several updates installed before the 140.0.0.0.0/144.0.0.0.0 series (Mojave).

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
@choreo you need to let us know what GPU you’re currently using. Several BootROM updates, but you can get several updates installed before the 140.0.0.0.0/144.0.0.0.0 series (Mojave).

I have (2) ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphic Cards installed.

Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C0160C-180
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.436

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
You can get to MP51.0089.B00 with those (or one) installed. If you run into issues, use only ONE gpu at a time (remove one).

Download the FULL INSTALLER for High Sierra and you’ll be prompted for firmware updates. FULL INSTALLER. Follow the on screen directions and hold for 10-15 seconds AFTER the chime.

Reactions: choreo

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
You can get to MP51.0089.B00 with those (or one) installed. If you run into issues, use only ONE gpu at a time (remove one).

Download the FULL INSTALLER for High Sierra and you’ll be prompted for firmware updates. FULL INSTALLER. Follow the on screen directions and hold for 10-15 seconds AFTER the chime.

Thanks! I will back up everything and remove one of my graphics cards before attempting the upgrade.

I probably should also mention that I have an Apricorn Velocity Duo SSD Upgrade Kit and Disc Array for PC and Mac (VEL-DUO) installed into one of my PCI slots since 2014 which has two Samsung EVO SSD drives (one of which is my Boot drive). I guess we do not know if that will cause a problem?

Also, is there a reliable link to download the High Sierra installer I need (I could not get the link I saw in the original post to work)?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
I guess we do not know if that will cause a problem?

It should not. Was running Velocity Duo X2 and Velocity Solo X2 in MP5,1 through 10.12 without issues and successfully updated firmware.

is there a reliable link to download the High Sierra installer

Mac App Store is the most reliable for the most amount of people

Latest High Sierra:

See this article at the end/bottom for others:

If that does not work, you'll need to use the script. Search "installinstallmacos.py" for directions.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
It should not. Was running Velocity Duo X2 and Velocity Solo X2 in MP5,1 through 10.12 without issues and successfully updated firmware.

Mac App Store is the most reliable for the most amount of people

Latest High Sierra:

See this article at the end/bottom for others:

If that does not work, you'll need to use the script. Search "installinstallmacos.py" for directions.
Many thanks! I will report back after I attack this project.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
I was getting ready to do this upgrade when I came across this video:

He says I will not be able to restore from a Time Machine backup and the Mac will be unbootable unless I go the USB drive installer route. Is that right?

I do have the High Sierra installer prepped and ready now on a USB Drive if you think I need to do this?

I also just did a Carbon Copy Cloner backup of my boot SSD to an external firewire drive, but I am not sure if I can migrate all my files back from there or if I should just use the Time Machine backup?

One more thing, do I need to be concerned about converting my Boot SSD to APFS - or is that optional? Is that "automatically" done by the High Sierra installer?

Last edited:

Black Ninja Original

macrumors member
May 7, 2019
Chile
Hi Guys!

At May I’ve made the transition to Mojave 10.14.4 without any problem! (MacPro 8 cores 5.1, Nvidea QUADRO K5000 for Mac, 32 GB RAM, Samsung 860 EVO. Firmware 141.0.0.0.0)

15 days ago I realized that although I had already updated to Mojave 10.14.6 I had not made the firmware update to 144.0.0.0.0 ...
I downloaded the full 10.14.6 and did with no problem just the firmware update to 144.0.0.0!
Everything was working normally until yesterday my MacPro freeze in 2/3 of boot status bar...
I did a SMC and PRAM RESET, removed all cables except the keyboard and mouse but nothing changed ...
I tried a boot from the flash drive but the same thing happened ... the boot stops at 2/3 of the status bar ...

Doesn't seem like a software or HD problem

I’m suspicious that's maybe one video card problem... Did the firmware update damage my NVIDEA K5000 video card?

Have you seen this problem before?

Attachments

• 9DFACE03-0FDB-4967-B8CE-1D3C3958A262.jpeg
    9DFACE03-0FDB-4967-B8CE-1D3C3958A262.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 107

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Hi Guys!

At May I’ve made the transition to Mojave 10.14.4 without any problem! (MacPro 8 cores 5.1, Nvidea QUADRO K5000 for Mac, 32 GB RAM, Samsung 860 EVO. Firmware 141.0.0.0.0)

15 days ago I realized that although I had already updated to Mojave 10.14.6 I had not made the firmware update to 144.0.0.0.0 ...
I downloaded the full 10.14.6 and did with no problem just the firmware update to 144.0.0.0!
Everything was working normally until yesterday my MacPro freeze in 2/3 of boot status bar...
I did a SMC and PRAM RESET, removed all cables except the keyboard and mouse but nothing changed ...
I tried a boot from the flash drive but the same thing happened ... the boot stops at 2/3 of the status bar ...

Doesn't seem like a software or HD problem

I’m suspicious that's maybe one video card problem... Did the firmware update damage my NVIDEA K5000 video card?

Have you seen this problem before?
There are no chances of the Mac Pro EfiFlasher to interfere in any way with a GPU.

The firmware flasher always test if the GPU is METAL compatible, Mojave requires it, but it’s the only thing.

Nothing on the GPU is updated or changed. I don’t doubt that you have a problem, but it’s not firmware flasher related.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I was getting ready to do this upgrade when I came across this video:

He says I will not be able to restore from a Time Machine backup and the Mac will be unbootable unless I go the USB drive installer route. Is that right?

AFAIK, most folks have done the FW installation with a USB stick. I did not. I downloaded the full OS installer, installed the FW updates directly from boot drive each time they were upgraded. Following the instructions everything went just fine.

Lou

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
So do I need to be concerned about converting my Boot SSD to APFS to Upgrade to High Sierra, or is that optional? Is that "automatically" done by the High Sierra installer?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
AFAIK, most folks have done the FW installation with a USB stick. I did not. I downloaded the full OS installer, installed the FW updates directly from boot drive each time they were upgraded. Following the instructions everything went just fine.

Lou
Upgrading MP5,1 firmware from USB don't work for absolutely majority of people. It only works with real MP5,1 that still have the original config and never worked for MP4,1>5,1, never shutdowns.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
Upgrading MP5,1 firmware from USB don't work for absolutely majority of people. It only works with real MP5,1 that still have the original config and never worked for MP4,1>5,1, never shutdowns.

So what about his claim in the video I posted in post 1334 where he says that without using the USB-drive that his Time Machine restore yielded an unbootable install?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
So what about his claim in the video I posted in post 1334 where he says that without using the USB-drive that his Time Machine restore yielded an unbootable install?
If you read the first post, it's there. Only works for real MP5,1 and default config, after the firmware upgrade you can install via USB, not before.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
If you read the first post, it's there. Only works for real MP5,1 and default config, after the firmware upgrade you can install via USB, not before.

OK... I re-read the first post and I see that now.

So what about APFS? If I am only upgrading to High Sierra right now, but planning on upgrading to Mojave in the near future, is this something I need to switch over to? If so, how do I do that and retain all my software and settings that I have on my current Sierra boot drive?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
OK... I re-read the first post and I see that now.

So what about APFS? If I am only upgrading to High Sierra right now, but planning on upgrading to Mojave in the near future, is this something I need to switch over to? If so, how do I do that and retain all my software and settings that I have on my current Sierra boot drive?
High Sierra defaults to APFS, but can be manually installed to HFS+. Mojave and Catalina requires APFS and only work correctly with APFS.

You can use TimeMachine for that.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
High Sierra defaults to APFS, but can be manually installed to HFS+. Mojave and Catalina requires APFS and only work correctly with APFS.

You can use TimeMachine for that.
So just to clarify (for me), if I run the High Serra installer from my current Sierra HFS+ boot drive, the installer will "automatically" change my existing SSD to APFS before performing the upgrade?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
So just to clarify (for me), if I run the High Serra installer from my current Sierra HFS+ boot drive, the installer will "automatically" change my existing SSD to APFS before performing the upgrade?
First, please read the first post, you are making several questions already answered in the notes.

A main HFS+ SSD is only changed to APFS by the High Sierra install process, after the firmware upgrade, not the firmware upgrade process. No other disks are changed, only the main one.

APFS vs HFS+ is a moot point today, you can't keep your main disk on HFS+ without serious hacking and a difficult maintenance and point upgrades process. Forget about this, since Mojave it's a requirement for your main disk, hard disk or solid storage.

Edit: main disk

Last edited:

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
I just finished the first stages of my upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra and here are my results:

"About This Mac" now shows High Sierra 10.13.6 and all my apps appear to be working perfectly (so far). I have performed 9 restarts (installing updates, etc.) and 2 full shutdowns/cold startups and the Mac boots right up.

However, my Boot ROM Version shows MP51.0089.B00 vs MP51.089.B00 (mentioned in the original post) - is this a problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.