Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
That is a typo.
No, it's not. EFI uses 4 digits everywhere, even in the filename, SystemReports truncates it to 3.
Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 20.59.08.png

Reactions: crjackson2134

kjjtechguy

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2019
I have a Mac Pro 3, 1. Can I update the firmware to allow NVME SSD boot? And then use dosdude's patch to install Mojave?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you so much! Booted into Mojave on the SSD. Is it normal that it thinks that it's an external drive?
Mac Pro firmware only consider SATA drives connected to the soutbridge SATA ports as internal. All other drive types are external (PCIe AHCI/U2/M.2/SAS, PCIe SATA, Firewire, SAS, RAID, USB, etc) to the firmware.

MacManSuite

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
EFI GPUs show the screen unaccelerated, your ATI 5870 it's an EFI GPU. It's useful for diagnostics or an emergence, but it's not working.

Yea it was unaccelerated, I just didn't think it would boot with the GPU installed - Thanks for the confirmation.

Moucheron78

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2018
Hello,
excuse me for my English. I would like to know if the latest version of Mac Pro 5.1 firmware is compatible with a mac pro mono processor 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon. And if so, what is the process to upgrade from a version 138.0.0.0.0 to 144.0.0.0.0 knowing that my system is 10.14.6.
Thank you for your reply

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Hello,
excuse me for my English. I would like to know if the latest version of Mac Pro 5.1 firmware is compatible with a mac pro mono processor 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon. And if so, what is the process to upgrade from a version 138.0.0.0.0 to 144.0.0.0.0 knowing that my system is 10.14.6.
Thank you for your reply
First read the first post, there are several pitfalls that you need to know, then download the Mac App Store full installer for 10.14.6 and run it, it will ask for you to upgrade to 144.0.0.0.0

Moucheron78

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2018
[QUOTE = "tsialex, post: 27972579, membre: 1033365"]
Commencez par lire le premier message, vous devez connaître plusieurs pièges, puis téléchargez le programme d'installation complet du Mac App Store pour la version 10.14.6 et exécutez-le. Il vous sera demandé de passer à la version 144.0.0.0.0.
[/CITATION]

Thanks for the answer but no risk of blocking a W3xxx Xeon processor

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
[QUOTE = "tsialex, post: 27972579, membre: 1033365"]
Commencez par lire le premier message, vous devez connaître plusieurs pièges, puis téléchargez le programme d'installation complet du Mac App Store pour la version 10.14.6 et exécutez-le. Il vous sera demandé de passer à la version 144.0.0.0.0.
[/CITATION]

Thanks for the answer but no risk of blocking a W3xxx Xeon processor
Not with 144.0.0.0.0.

142.0.0.0.0 was the version that bricked single socket Xeons.

Moucheron78

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2018
Not with 144.0.0.0.0.

142.0.0.0.0 was the version that bricked single socket Xeons.
Thank you for the information. I hope this will solve my windows 10 problem. Which for a few days no longer starts. Unless I remove the Mac OS Mojave hard drive. While everything was working a few days ago.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you for the information. I hope this will solve my windows 10 problem. Which for a few days no longer starts. Unless I remove the Mac OS Mojave hard drive. While everything was working a few days ago.
This will not change your W10 problems, but it's required for Mojave 10.14.5+ support.

Farravi

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2019
London
I am hoping someone can chime in.

I have just managed to install the Vega-56 card and I tried to update from 10.13.6 running bootrom 144.0.0.0.0(I believe it was 140.0.0.0) before my previous attempt.

Filevault is off.
APFS is on for the Mac HD and also for the 2TB X 2 Storage drives (SATA)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 18.13.56.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 18.13.56.png
    494.9 KB · Views: 108

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I am hoping someone can chime in.

I have just managed to install the Vega-56 card and I tried to update from 10.13.6 running bootrom 144.0.0.0.0(I believe it was 140.0.0.0) before my previous attempt.

Filevault is off.
APFS is on for the Mac HD and also for the 2TB X 2 Storage drives (SATA)
Delete and download it again, you probably have a Mojave installer downloaded before October 29 when the signing certificate expired.

Reactions: RyanXM and Farravi

Farravi

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2019
London
This is from the App Store showing up as updated in July 2019

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 20.07.36.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 20.07.36.png
    192 KB · Views: 95

Farravi

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2019
London
So, after downloading and deleting a few times, like you said, it installed perfectly.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-11-22 at 20.42.26.png
    Screenshot 2019-11-22 at 20.42.26.png
    451.4 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: octoviaa

edgerider

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2018
hi all!
quick question,
finaly get to give mojave a try, but like in high sierra i could not make 4 gpu to work. it wont boot with 4 GPU (rx580).
i could get any combination of macvid gtx780 and amd or just straight amd but cant get the 5.1 to boot with more than 3 gpu no matter what i do...
do anyone successfully ran more that 3 rx580 on a macpro with mojave or catalina?

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2007
- Upgrade your firmware from High Sierra installed in an APFS drive:

A lot of people report that can't upgrade the BootROM from High Sierra installed with HFS+, so use a new/empty drive to install High Sierra from an APFS partition. Btw, Mojave requires APFS.

Thanks for posting this thread with this information you've compiled. You've provided much more useful information than Apple's vague 2 line knowledge base.

Found this thread and read about the High Sierra disk must be APFS after half the day wasted on failed attempts not having any idea what was going on.

This point above is particularly important and Apple absolutely does not mention this anywhere and their installer fails to provide this info to the user. Due to laziness or incompetence or just not giving a sheeeeeeet, Apple's installer tells user click Restart Button to start the firmware upgrade. The installer will do nothing and all for 15 -20 mins and restart itself get back to the same window.

In my case, I had Mojave on a bootable USB HFS, before even getting to the firmware it tells me my Video card isn't supported, well, Apple, dude, it must work, It's probably just gona suck, but I can handle just for installation because I need a boot screen.

So ok pull out all the other SSD, reset PRAM, connect the monitor to the Radeon RX 580 without bootscreen...fire it up...nothing black screen forever...Why, no one knows..pull out the Nvidia GT120, reboot, yah finally get to the installer, but What-TF, the Firmware upgrade does not respond, machine does nothing. Apple hates their users!!!

The Installer fails to check requirements and alert user exactly what is required for successful firmware upgrade. Had it said USB must be APFS and or a working High Sierra installed on a APFS disk is required for this firmware upgrade it would have saved me many hours.

So I decided to run the Mojave installer a High Sierra partition.
I still have Snow Leopard on the Mac Pro so my High Sierra partition was HFS to access the data from Snow Leopard. Firmware failed with this strategy too. Still no idea why until I read this thread bout USB can't be used to upgrade the firmware and the High Sierra working partition must be APFS. WhyTF Apple not mention this anywhere.

So with this info I set about to find another SSD to be used for High Sierra install. I created USB boot disk from a saved High Sierra installer.app from 2 years ago or whatever, booted machine get to start installation, it tells me installer is damaged, WTF, damaged, how?? eh

I used it before years ago it wasn't damaged. Turns out, this is misleading, it's actually a certificate expired. OMG, why on earth they need a certificate on macOS, this isn't an iPhone. Second, WhyTF, when running the 'create installer media' command doesn't a script run to check the certificate in the first place, If cert is expired download a new one and put in USB installer instead of wasting my time booting then getting this message. Alternatively and less convenient, at the very least, tell me I need to download a new version of the Installer. No, I don't prefer wasting data on downloads and my time at 1MB/sec on those damned slow servers.

If that is too hard, instead of the misleading message why not be transparent and tell us it is the certificate, and what to do about it, why all the cloak and dagger BS...I had an Ethernet cable hooked up, installer could have checked for expired cert, then checked the network find a new one and authenticate then run the installer without me even knowing and "just work" instead of pushing all the issues back to the user....What has happed at Apple, Apple forgot about "it just works"?

So then, I waste more time re-download a new High Sierra installer App, damn their servers can be slow.

I created the USB bootable High Sierra installer, format the SSD to APFS, installed successfully High Sierra.

So finally, launched the Mojave installer from the High Sierra APFS SSD, rebooted and yay, clicked restart button to upgrade the firmware, after 5 seconds machine shutdown, got the new firmware then finally got the Mojave installer process running.

Man, an entire day spent screwing around with this, should have taken 2 hours max.

Mac Pro now has the updated firmware but still refuses to start up with the Nvidia GT120 card in a PCI slot, even with not display connected to it. Other guys boot ok with the card in a slot and even Mojave will run with a display connected to the card, albeit slow, but who cares it's purpose now is purely needed for boot screen. That's another topic for research, not help from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.