Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ocnetgeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2018
Oak Creek, WI
Thinking about ditching my 2015 Macbook Pro and getting a 2018 Mac Mini. I am interested if anyone has experience running multiple older Monitors off of a Mac Mini. I have three 22" Dell E228WFP Monitors currently on my Desktop. I use all of them for work connecting to a Docking Station for my work Laptop which is a HP. My Main Monitor is shared with my Macbook Pro through a KVM and that is connected using a Thunderbolt/Display Port to DVI Adapter. I sometimes plug in a second monitor using the HDMI port on the Macbook. I used to have a 2010 Mac Pro and I could connect all three monitors to the video card of that. Do you think I could do that with the integrated graphics? The Monitors are all running 1680 x 1050 so nothing too taxing. Workload is mostly general home stuff like e-mail and web browsing with the occasional iMovie project and some Windows or Network Virtualization using VMWare Fusion.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
I've had a few older monitors that take longer to boot than the Mini likes. Sometimes swapping connections, or which is the primary monitor helps. Sometimes it's just hopeless. The only sure answer is "Suck it and See". You might get lucky.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
If you use standard cables and/or adapters (HDMI -> HDMI or HDMI -> DVI and USB-C/Thunderbolt -> HDMI or DVI), then the integrated GPU should work together with the monitors.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Does the Dell E228WFP have only a DVI input?

If so, for the Mini you could try:
First display -- HDMI (mini end) to DVI (display end)
Second display -- USBc (mini end) to DVI (display end)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.