Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Just ordered an Apple Watch. I’ve not really been very interested in them before but there was a Black Friday deal on the 42mm S3 I couldn’t say no too.

So what are the must have apps? Particularly interested in sleep tracking but basically looking for any recommendations on must have apps.

Thanks.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
+1 on Carrot, it's amazing! Definitely worth paying for it in my opinion.
For sleep tracking I like AutoSleep and SleepWatch. Initially, I was testing them both to see which one I liked but found there are aspects of both I like so I've kept both.

Once you get the watch, there may be options to install apps that currently reside on your phone. Some of them are useful, some not so much. You'll have to get a feel for what you might want to control from your watch vs. phone only. For me, two that I really make use of are Bose Soundtouch because I can control volume from my watch. Also UConnect because I can start lock/unlock my vehicle.

Reactions: lyceumHQ

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Carrot weather (one of the few I’ve actually paid for)
waterminder
+1 on Carrot, it's amazing! Definitely worth paying for it in my opinion.
For sleep tracking I like AutoSleep and SleepWatch. Initially, I was testing them both to see which one I liked but found there are aspects of both I like so I've kept both.

Once you get the watch, there may be options to install apps that currently reside on your phone. Some of them are useful, some not so much. You'll have to get a feel for what you might want to control from your watch vs. phone only. For me, two that I really make use of are Bose Soundtouch because I can control volume from my watch. Also UConnect because I can start lock/unlock my vehicle.

Thank you! Just setting the watch up now.

What makes carrot so good?

Reactions: staggerlee41

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Thank you! Just setting the watch up now.

What makes carrot so good?

The interaction is fun and humorous. The challenges are fun, like puzzles. The achievements are fun to figure out also. It's just really well thought out and although weather is the main focus, it's much more than that. The layout of the data on the phone, capabilities of customizing the information on both Phone and Watch and the ability to select your data source for weather are all reasons I enjoy it. The developer(s) always respond here when people report they're having issues.

Try it, see if you enjoy it.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Carrot is excellent. I tend to switch on and off with Dark Sky. In my opinion, Dark Sky has a little better detail.

* In no particular order. These are the current ones I use the most outside of the stock apps.

1) Carrot or Dark Sky - Weather
2) ETA - Great destination app
3) WaterMinder - Excellent Hydration app
4) Bear - Journaling and note taking etc.
5) Day One - Journaling and note taking etc.
6) OTP Auth - 2FA app
7) HeartWatch
8) Fantastical - Great Calendar app
9) Due - Excellent audible reminder app
10) Deliveries - Tracks delivery packages
11) Audible - Audiobook player
12) AutoSleep - Sleep tracker
13) Outcast - Podcast player
14) SnipNotes - Excellent audible note app
15) Things - Excellent "to do" app and life organizer
16) Canary Mail - Works much better than the stock app, especially for instant notifications

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Carrot is excellent. I tend to switch on and off with Dark Sky. In my opinion, Dark Sky has a little better detail.

* In no particular order. These are the current ones I use the most outside of the stock apps.

1) Carrot or Dark Sky - Weather
2) ETA - Great destination app
3) WaterMinder - Excellent Hydration app
4) Bear - Journaling and note taking etc.
5) Day One - Journaling and note taking etc.
6) OTP Auth - 2FA app
7) HeartWatch
8) Fantastical - Great Calendar app
9) Due - Excellent audible reminder app
10) Deliveries - Tracks delivery packages
11) Audible - Audiobook player
12) AutoSleep - Sleep tracker
13) Outcast - Podcast player
14) SnipNotes - Excellent audible note app
15) Things - Excellent "to do" app and life organizer
16) Canary Mail - Works much better than the stock app, especially for instant notifications

Thanks, downloading a few now.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I discovered a new app I'm finding very useful. HealthView. The watch app is pretty basic as it shows steps taken for the day and week. Thats fine. The beauty of it is the data views on iPhone are in my opinion, significantly improved from Apple's Health thus making it easier to interpret the data. For example, you can see the total step count by month whereas in Health, you get an average per week. Of course you can see this information by week as well. You also have the ability to customize which Health aspects you want the app to display.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
The third party apps I used the most are Hindsight (for tracking when things occurred) and Kayak (to pull up my flight reservation number).

Don't forget that iPhone apps that can put an entry in your Apple Wallet. The Apple Wallet on your watch will have access to them also. I still get shocked looks once in a while when I use my watch to gain access to a concert thanks to the Ticketmaster app.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I discovered a new app I'm finding very useful. HealthView. The watch app is pretty basic as it shows steps taken for the day and week. Thats fine. The beauty of it is the data views on iPhone are in my opinion, significantly improved from Apple's Health thus making it easier to interpret the data. For example, you can see the total step count by month whereas in Health, you get an average per week. Of course you can see this information by week as well. You also have the ability to customize which Health aspects you want the app to display.

HealthView on the phone was what I needed to feel better about switching from Fitbit. Very customizable and much, much better UI than Apple’s Health app.

A favorite but kinda silly app is Standland. Good for those who loved Tamagotchi and other pocket pets, it rewards you for your stands each hour.

Reactions: staggerlee41

TimothyL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2019
If you are a business, try Mercari. It’s a great place to sell electronics and more

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.