Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zerosopher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
United Kingdom
I notice that when I connect my MacBook to an external display via Hyperdrive (both through mini display and HDMI ports), the screen flickers.

This does not happen when it is connected via my Ugreen hub.

Personally, I prefer Hyperdrive as Ugreen is very hot.

Does anyone experience the same issue? Is there other brand recommended?

Zerosopher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
United Kingdom
I have the exact same issue, but have not found a solution yet. :(

Just asked the support and the problem was solved after upgrading the firmware.

Note that I did it in Bootcamp.

Here is the email from support:
Thanks for contacting Hypershop and we apologize the issue with the Hyperdrive. Please find the firmware update attached to see if it resolve the issue.
Please help to connect the Hyperdrive to the monitor when you try the firmware update. Thank you!

Best Regards
Felicia

Attachment(s)
Firmware Update GN28D.docx
leaf_Gopod_V12_0911_.eeprom
VmmUpdater.exe
Windows via Bootcamp Instructions.docx

TechViking

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Just asked the support and the problem was solved after upgrading the firmware.

Note that I did it in Bootcamp.

Here is the email from support:
Thanks for contacting Hypershop and we apologize the issue with the Hyperdrive. Please find the firmware update attached to see if it resolve the issue.
Please help to connect the Hyperdrive to the monitor when you try the firmware update. Thank you!

Best Regards
Felicia

Attachment(s)
Firmware Update GN28D.docx
leaf_Gopod_V12_0911_.eeprom
VmmUpdater.exe
Windows via Bootcamp Instructions.docx

Same thing here with the HyperDrive PRO 8-in-2 and 16 inch MBP.

Do you have the same model of hyperdrive: 8-in-2? Thought id ask before trying the firmware update you posted.

TechViking

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Yes, I do have the same settings.

I updated the firmware on my hyperdrive pro, but it did not solve my issue. Still flickering when the Apple Cinema 30 inch display is connected via the mini displayport.

To what monitor are you connecting yours via mini display port?

Zerosopher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
United Kingdom
I can connect via both mini display and hdmi ports to Dell U2417H. Did you follow this instruction?

Once you have Windows 10 Boot Camp Installed
Please load into Boot Camp via Windows.
Once you are on the Windows Desktop, please plugin your flash-drive/storage device that contains the two downloadable files: “leaf_Gopod_V12_0911.eeprom” & “VmmUpdater.exe.”

FIRST:
The Hyperdrive needs to be plugged into your MacBook WITH the HDMI cable connected to the monitor.

SECOND:
Locate the flash drive and open the application “VnmmUpdater.exe and select the file “leaf_Gopod_V12_0911.eeprom” to begin the Firmware update.

THIRD:
The application will state the Firmware update is successful and you can restart the MacBook and instantly hold the options button on the keyboard to boot the MacBook back in MacOS to test the display.

TechViking

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
I can connect via both mini display and hdmi ports to Dell U2417H. Did you follow this instruction?

Once you have Windows 10 Boot Camp Installed
Please load into Boot Camp via Windows.
Once you are on the Windows Desktop, please plugin your flash-drive/storage device that contains the two downloadable files: “leaf_Gopod_V12_0911.eeprom” & “VmmUpdater.exe.”

FIRST:
The Hyperdrive needs to be plugged into your MacBook WITH the HDMI cable connected to the monitor.

SECOND:
Locate the flash drive and open the application “VnmmUpdater.exe and select the file “leaf_Gopod_V12_0911.eeprom” to begin the Firmware update.

THIRD:
The application will state the Firmware update is successful and you can restart the MacBook and instantly hold the options button on the keyboard to boot the MacBook back in MacOS to test the display.
Yes I did, and the firmware was updated successfully.

Mojo1019

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2013
Mmmh, I have ordered a 8-in-2 during the Black Friday week (still not arrived). I hope I will have no problem after the firmware upgrade. I will let you know.

Zerosopher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
United Kingdom
I forgot to mention. I have two Dell U2417H monitors: one at home and another at workplace. It is working fine with those.

Mojo1019

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2013
What display will you be using it with?

AORUS AD27QD it is a 10bit color IPS monitor with HDR, 27" with a resolution of 2560x1440, 144Hz refresh rate (1ms response time, ghosting bye bye), color accuracy 95% of DCI-P3. I will connect it to the Mac with a Display port 1.2

TechViking

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
The only way to use DVI would be either with a DVI to USB-C adapter or an active Mini DisplayPort converter to convert the signal to the same type as Mini DisplayPort. The Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter is a passive converter, which is why the signal is having issues.

I contacted Hyperdrive support and above is the reply from first line support. It does not make much sense though since 1) Apple's Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter is surely not a passive converter and it works with any proper Mini DisplayPort signal as input and 2) my setup works perfectly with the Mini DisplayPort output from the 2015 MBP 15 inch.

So it should be an issue with the Hyperdrive firmware, I hope they will be able to fix that with another update.

TechViking

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
An update on this: I contacted Apple support and they suggested trying when in safe mode, and then I actually no longer have any problem with flickering.

Booting back in normal mode, and the flickering is back.

Updated to Catalina 10.15.2, this did not solve the issue.

Anyone have any idea what the difference might be for the hyperdrive pro and Apple Cinema 30 inch display when in safe mode? Apple have no idea at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.