Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Avon4447

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago
Last night I came home, asked Siri to play some music and I got no response. I looked over at the HomePod and the volume up/down buttons were flashing on and off.

Tried pushing the top of the HomePod, but it was completely unresponsive to any of my commands. Unplugged, replugged goes back to flashing lights. Tried doing a hard reset and nothing.

Called Apple support and did some troubleshooting, but they had no answers and said they don’t have any info on the flashing volume lights. Long story short my HomePod is dead.

Finally they suggested I bring it back to the Apple store for an exchange. I did a google search and couldn’t find any articles on this issue. Anyone else experienced this?

Reactions: Teetrik

jkeitz

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2018
Last night I came home, asked Siri to play some music and I got no response. I looked over at the HomePod and the volume up/down buttons were flashing on and off.

Tried pushing the top of the HomePod, but it was completely unresponsive to any of my commands. Unplugged, replugged goes back to flashing lights. Tried doing a hard reset and nothing.

Called Apple support and did some troubleshooting, but they had no answers and said they don’t have any info on the flashing volume lights. Long story short my HomePod is dead.

Finally they suggested I bring it back to the Apple store for an exchange. I did a google search and couldn’t find any articles on this issue. Anyone else experienced this?

This just happened to me this morning. I've been searching online for a solution, and this is the only other mention I've come across. Looks like its a trip to the Apple Store next week..

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Wow. I guess it was bound to happen eventually, but these are the first two “failures” I’ve heard of.

About a week ago mine stopped responding to spoken command, but a factory reset fixed it.

Teetrik

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2018
Yep, this JUST happened to me when I got it today. The "plus" and "minus" virtual volume buttons are flashing and I tried Factory Reset and it didn't work. I googled as you did and found no answer except this platform to share the experience. I think I need to get it back to the store where I bought it and let them help me fix this (in my country there is no official Apple Store so I bought it from a shop which imported the products).

jkeitz

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2018
Got mine replaced at the Apple Store yesterday. They hadn’t had a single HomePod malfunction before, mine was the first.

jbuijk

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2018
I wouldn't spend too much time researching it. The fact remains, its a new speaker not working as designed. Take it back and get it exchanged.
Same happened to my HomePod when power was interrupted during software update

jkeitz

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2018
Same happened to my HomePod when power was interrupted during software update
Mine had happened almost a week before the first software update was available, so that wasn’t the case with mine.

guido1501

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2018
Same here. It worked perfectly but when I updated it, my power went off for a few seconds and the volume buttons have been blinking since. I searched for answers everywhere and this is the only place where I (sort of) found one. There's no apple store where I live so I called apple support and after literally one hour on the phone the only solution is that I have to fly to america to get it replaced. I know someone who can take it in three months so I guess I'll just have to wait

Teetrik

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2018
Same here. It worked perfectly but when I updated it, my power went off for a few seconds and the volume buttons have been blinking since. I searched for answers everywhere and this is the only place where I (sort of) found one. There's no apple store where I live so I called apple support and after literally one hour on the phone the only solution is that I have to fly to america to get it replaced. I know someone who can take it in three months so I guess I'll just have to wait

Yea the only way to get it back to work again is to "get it replaced". Your case is like mine. I got mine replaced at an importer dealer shop here I bought the HomePod. They tried everything to fix it but couldn't and finally had to succumb to their own shop's warranty (7-day warranty) for a new replacement.

Jonnoy

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
UK
Thanks for posting this, mine has developed the same issue. Looks like a phone call to Apple is in order!

Cinab1mt

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
My HomePod has not died but it just made a very loud "pop" sound...it did not sound good. The sound does not appear to be distorted and everything seems to work fine but it was very concerning...has anyone else experienced this?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

I had exact same issue, volume buttons flashing. Loud boom once in a while. In the end, I just couldn’t send music to it.
3 hours phone call with Apple Support yielded no result.
Problem is we don’t have Apple Store in our country and the shop I bought it asking like $120 just to ship it back to be replaced. Luckily Apple authorized reseller here has a maintenance shop and the manager just brought the HomePod to wipe software and re-install. 4 days later it’s back on my shelf pairing stero with another one and happily churning out music again.

mboechat

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2018
I had exact same issue, volume buttons flashing. Loud boom once in a while. In the end, I just couldn’t send music to it.
3 hours phone call with Apple Support yielded no result.
Problem is we don’t have Apple Store in our country and the shop I bought it asking like $120 just to ship it back to be replaced. Luckily Apple authorized reseller here has a maintenance shop and the manager just brought the HomePod to wipe software and re-install. 4 days later it’s back on my shelf pairing stero with another one and happily churning out music again.

Hey Matrix! I have the same problem. By any chance, are you in Brazil? If yes, maybe I could use the same repair shop you used and fix mine too. Please let me know! I am in Rio de Janeiro.
Thanks!

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Hey Matrix! I have the same problem. By any chance, are you in Brazil? If yes, maybe I could use the same repair shop you used and fix mine too. Please let me know! I am in Rio de Janeiro.
Thanks!

Sadly, I’ve been fooled. This is 3rd party shop, not official Apple Store. They told me they wiped software and re-installed. Turned out they just reset it. A month later the problem arose again. The only way to fix it completely is to replace it.

zea

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
My HomePod has not died but it just made a very loud "pop" sound...it did not sound good. The sound does not appear to be distorted and everything seems to work fine but it was very concerning...has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, mine is doing this as well. Waiting to hear back from Apple for a solution. They haven’t offered to repair/replace it yet. It’s very annoying.

actcyclist

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
Mine died after what I have to admit was 14 months of heavy use. Fortunately I'm in Australia so Apple has no choice but to replace it but still a hassle to hop on the bike and take it in.

When I went to book my appointment to get ir replaced, I noticed the HomePod is now less prominent. I wonder if the HomePod is like the iPod Hifi.. a iPod Hifi 2 in reality and we can expect the 3 in 2028?

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
I hope not. I know its the not the most groundbreaking smart speaker but I really like the HomePod. My only wish is for its use as a Soundbar like device with Apple TV is improved upon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.