Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
My iMac is called Benny - he's so white and 70's looking I thought of Abba

My PowerBook is called Roger - Solid and dependable name. He gets things done.

My old iBook was called Carl - A bit gay looking like the name ;)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
biohazard_6969 said:
stupid question. how do u change the name of your computer? its just the usesr account right? cause i got a name i wanna name it. "the punisher" :D
homerjward said:
how do you rename a pc? :confused: i just renamed my ipod "vincent vega" and want to name my pc "jules winnefeld" but all i can do is figure out how to rename the hard drive...same with my mac. :confused:
Mac: Look at System Preferences -> Sharing. :)

PC: Cannot help you since I don't have a working PC... ;)

Edit: Or maybe I can help after all. Google is a friend, and came up with this page on how to change the name of a PC using XP:
To change a computer name and to join a domain or a workgroup, on the Computer Name tab [in the System Properties dialog box], click Change, and then type the information in the Computer name: dialog box. When the domain membership changes, click More to change the primary Domain Name System (DNS) suffix.

Waragainstsleep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2003
UK
I had a few machines named after characters from Tron (for sharing purposes). Master Control, Tron, RAM, Flynn, etc....

Have re-organised since then though. Though not entirely, so nothing has names at the moment.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Power Mac = Maximus
Powerbook = Max
iPod 60GB = Melody
iPod 3G 10GB = Harmony
iPod 4G 40GB = NatPod (signed by Natalie Portman)
Silver iPod mini = Bullet
Treo 650 =Da Vinci
3x250GB LaCie d2 = Discovery, Columbia, Challenger
500GB LaCie d2 = Atlantis

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
homerjward said:
how do you rename a pc? :confused: i just renamed my ipod "vincent vega" and want to name my pc "jules winnefeld" but all i can do is figure out how to rename the hard drive...same with my mac. :confused:
In Windows XP:

1. Right-click "My Computer" on your desktop or in the Start menu. Click Properties.

2. Click the Computer Name tab.

3. Click Change next to "To rename this computer, click Change."

4. Type a new computer name and (optionally) a domain name or workgroup name.

5. Click OK three times. You don't have to restart right away, but the machine name and workgroup/domain name changes will not apply until you do.

sakasune

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2004
My G5 is HeyZeus (sounds like "Jesus" in spanish)
My 12" PowerBook is Defiant (like the ship in Deep Space 9)

My old 15" PowerBook was Silent Bob (cuz it was a hella lot quiter than my Dell which it replaced).
The Dell has had different names over time due to reformats. It used to be PowerHouse when I thought the Dell was cool. Now its Locutus (another ST reference).
And my old old desktop PC that I built long ago was Neo Bundy (Matrix and Married with Children reference).

...and my car is Penny. Because I bought her with an insurance check from an accident in my previous car. I didn't pay a penny for her, and that's her name.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
Here are the names of the computers in my home:

Hades
Acheron
Styx
Phlegethon
Cocytus
Lethe

Seems to make sense to me.

Hickman

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
Silencio said:
No Malebolge? I'm disappointed! :D

Well, if you buy me another computer I will name it Malebolge just for you, but for now I have to stick with Hades and its five rivers.

Hickman

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Brian Hickman said:
Well, if you buy me another computer I will name it Malebolge just for you, but for now I have to stick with Hades and its five rivers.

I was thinking you were covering the river motif, but the inclusion of Hades itself threw me and I forgot that Cocytus is also a river, not just the ninth circle of Hell.

We'll get it taken care of one way or the other. Dante's Inferno is one of my favorite books.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Slightly off original topic: On the subject of mythic rivers, I can say that I have drunken from the River Styx, or the river that the Campania, Italy locals have considered the River Styx for over a thousand years...pic below...

Image-953F5814E5CB11D8.jpg

It was actually really cool as the tunnel we were going down was getting warmer and warmer as we progressed, creepy as hell... :)

neoserver

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
My PowerMac G5 is called Firestorm.
My 1.4Ghz Athlon is Thunderchicken.
My Thinkpad is called Hurricane.
My iPod is called Monsoon.

And my next computer will be called Cyclone.

Ryon

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2005
My PowerBook is Ethan, just because I like the name. If I get an iPod, it will be Ethan, Jr.

My sister's HP Pavilion is Pavlov.

My friend got an enormous 17"-screened Toshiba Qosimo that barely qualifies as a laptop (I wouldn't be able to stand the size, myself, but I'm SO jealous of the Harmon Kardon speakers, which sound quite amazing for a notebook). He dubbed it Gunther. I think it would funnier to call it Tina.

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
My old iBook was called Ib - named after my grandmothers cousin...

My pb is called Pok - the nickname of my uncle

Then I have an external disk...

The partition used for backups of pok is called Ding - my cousins nick', son of Pok

The other partition is Xlaus - another cousin of mine, with X instead of K

As you see I name everything after familymembers, making the names fit my machines.

A

link92

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
Liger = PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5GHz roars like a Lion with the fans spinning, and it's running Tiger :D

ntg

macrumors regular
May 3, 2002
UK - Rushden, Northants
as previously mentioned, Unix admins often name the machines 'cause it makes it easier to admin.
mine were LOTR names like Ruaros, Orthanc, Orcrist, etc for the Unix boxes, and my macs have all been greek or Roman, like hercules (this 15" 1.5pb), icarus, romulus, remus, etc.
I then also named our novell and windows servers after gods, ie Zeus, Thor, etc.

When i did the y2k checks and produced compatibility reports to the CEO at the board meeting, I had a few comments made about the list, but everyone then tried to use the names when they had problems with the servers which made my life much easier (and more fun, too!).

Nig.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I always name my computer after whatever I happen to be reading about at the time. Thus, my G4 tower is named "Oberon", after a character in A Midsummer Night's Dream.

My linux box is named "Darkstar II", after a prototype spyplane.

I have a Mac IIci running Debian that's named "Potato", which is the name of the Kernel version (imaginitive, eh?)

None of my pre-OS X Macs have names.

hepcat57

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2005
While we're on the subject...is it possible to change the computer name is OS X? I'm running Tiger. When doing the initial setup it said that this could not be changed. Please forgive me for being a newbie switcher if this has been discussed before. Did a Google search and came up empty handed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.