Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
hepcat57 said:
While we're on the subject...is it possible to change the computer name is OS X? I'm running Tiger. When doing the initial setup it said that this could not be changed. Please forgive me for being a newbie switcher if this has been discussed before. Did a Google search and came up empty handed.

System Preferences -> Sharing -> Computer Name

Might have to press the Edit button and edit there too. Been a while since I changed it, so I don't remember for sure.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
800 MHz TiBook - Orson Welles
1 GHz TiBook - Bernard Shaw
1 GHz 12" PB - Samuel Beckett
1.67 GHz 15" PB - Albert Camus
600 MHz Graphite iMac - J.D. Salinger
Green iPod mini - Pedro; originally Mr. Darcy

ScruffyTheMac

macrumors regular
May 21, 2005
Massachusetts
Dual 2.7 G5 = Scruffy the Mac (after Scruffy the Cat, legendary cowpunk band in Boston in the 80s)

15" powerbook = Titaniac

Alienware Wintel box = The Alien (exiled to the back of a closet over a year ago)

tom_s

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2005
iBook G3: LeBook
Linux/Wintel-Box: sancho

I think the iBook is my first computer i gave a name to.

It's interesting that some you have names even for Harddisks.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
hepcat57 said:
While we're on the subject...is it possible to change the computer name is OS X? I'm running Tiger. When doing the initial setup it said that this could not be changed. Please forgive me for being a newbie switcher if this has been discussed before. Did a Google search and came up empty handed.
The computer's name is easy to change, like dubbz has already shown, but what you may be thinking of is the first (admin) user account's shortname. That is more or less impossible to change, since it's used deep down in the system (the user name can be changed, but do not mess with the short name). If you need another account name, make another account (or a clean install)... ;)

hepcat57

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2005
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
...what you may be thinking of is the first (admin) user account's shortname. That is more or less impossible to change, since it's used deep down in the system (the user name can be changed, but do not mess with the short name). If you need another account name, make another account (or a clean install)... ;)

Yes Mitt*, that's what I was thinking of. Thanks :)

no_name

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
I registered just to post this:
I have an iMacG3 named Glitch (as in Reboot, this made voice cammands more fun), a PowerMacG5 named Valentine, and my iPodmini is Glitch 2.0

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
My Powermac is called 'Dual 867', unfrivolously.

My mate and his girlfriend both refer to his Powerbook 12" as Mollie, and my girlfriend calls her Powerbook 15" "Allie" as in aluminium.

My iBook is called 'Book' because I don't like to be reminded that it isn't a powerbook.
:rolleyes:

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
Guys I reinstalled OS X and forgot how to name my computer.

Help please.

It's not just to keep the whole Futurama theme going.. But it's kind of a security feature. I can check my router's DHCP clients table and see all of the names there. If a name doesn't fit the Futurama theme I know it's an intruding neighbor or something like that.

DMPDX

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2005
well

My PB usually goes by Le çedilla. And my mac mini usually calls itself El Pequeno Fuego. I dont know hwere they thought those up.:rolleyes:

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
terriyaki said:
Guys I reinstalled OS X and forgot how to name my computer.

As dubbz pointed out above:

...unless I'm missing some sort of subtle sarcasm that you are implying with this post. :D

SoulBlighter

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2004
My brother and I have several apple computers primarily at our house. With them being all networked, we've assigned 'designations' out of necessity to reference them, and thats just sort of become their names.

iMac 333 G3 -> i3 or Bondi ( in conversation we just say it like Bondy ) since she's Bondi Blue
iMac 400 G3 -> i4
iMac 500 G3 -> i5
iMac 800 G4 -> i8

My Powerbook 1.5GHz G4 -------> KPB ( my first name begins with a K )
My Bros Powerbook 1.5GHz G4 -> DPB ( his first name begins with a D )

But the linux servers just go by their function- like "Mail Server", "Audio Server"...

And last, but not least, my sisters PC is known as "crap".

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
Names

Remebering those old childhood favorites

Dual 2 G5 = Johnny5
60GB 5G iPod = Batteries not included

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
Seasought said:
As dubbz pointed out above:

...unless I'm missing some sort of subtle sarcasm that you are implying with this post. :D
Whoops totally missed dubbz' post. My mistake. Thanks for the help, Seasought.

Zoidberg is back again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.