Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cloudswimmer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2019
Hey guys,

I just bought a brand new factory sealed 2nd generation 12.9 iPad Pro from an eBay vendor, and it came with IOS 11 on it, and I’ve not put any apps on it yet or even set it up. I also have a 1st gen 12.9 iPad Pro running the old signed stock IOS 12.3.1, and it runs my whole iPad recording studio like a champ. So I need someone to help me get this new one on the same IOS version (IOS 12.3.1) I’d be willing to pay someone who speaks clear English to help me with this .. perhaps via a team speak session/Skype, etc. I tried watching some YouTube vids but it was hard for me to understand the thick accents on the ones I found, and the whole IPSW blobs thing is really confusing to my artist brain. I don’t care about jail breaking per se, just need the same stable IOS 12.3.1 that works with my Korg Bluetooth hardware and synth/daw apps running on this new old stock 2nd gen Pro as well. PM me if your available. I can do PayPal. Thanks ?? ..... C

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but frankly, you're out of luck. Apple has stopped signing iOS 12.3.1 and the only available upgrade for that device is iOS 13.1.3. Sure, you can download the firmware file (IPSW) for whatever version of iOS you'd like, but whenever you restore, iTunes will communicate with Apple's servers and not allow the update to occur. I'm sure you've heard really negative things about iOS / iPad OS 13, it's been rough for many people, however, it's getting better and better by the update. Apple is in "fix it mode" which is why we've been seeing so many updates, recently. I'm curious, what's holding you back with updating the new one to iPadOS 13 and setting it up exactly like your first generation 12.9" iPad Pro running 12.3.1? I'd assume it'll work flawlessly.

cloudswimmer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2019
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but frankly, you're out of luck. Apple has stopped signing iOS 12.3.1 and the only available upgrade for that device is iOS 13.1.3. Sure, you can download the firmware file (IPSW) for whatever version of iOS you'd like, but whenever you restore, iTunes will communicate with Apple's servers and not allow the update to occur. I'm sure you've heard really negative things about iOS / iPad OS 13, it's been rough for many people, however, it's getting better and better by the update. Apple is in "fix it mode" which is why we've been seeing so many updates, recently. I'm curious, what's holding you back with updating the new one to iPadOS 13 and setting it up exactly like your first generation 12.9" iPad Pro running 12.3.1? I'd assume it'll work flawlessly.

Hi, what’s holding me back from 13 is my suite of expensive Korg Bluetooth midi controllers and keyboards will not pair with a device running IOS 13. I use my iPads exclusively for music composition, arranging, and production, and without at least my Korg Microkey Air 61 note keyboard controller working I may as well just go back to my full fledge hardware studio with desktop’s and racks of keyboards .. I’m trying to get away from that and work on iPads only. I’d just run the iOS 11 this new one came with .. but I have a key synth I use often that requires at least 12. Let me ask you this .. since my first iPad 5 years ago I’ve never backed up or restored anything from iTunes, all my music projects and files are on Dropbox, I just need to be able to re-download my apps from the App Store and update them as updates become available .. is that doable on an unsigned IOS? Thanks!

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
When is the last time you checked for updates from Korg? https://www.korg.com/us/news/2019/0911/

Hopefully they can get them working if they aren't yet.

I assume you have one of these:

- microKEY Air (cannot connect via Bluetooth MIDI)
- nanoKEY Studio (cannot connect via Bluetooth MIDI)
- nanoKONTROL Studio (cannot connect via Bluetooth MIDI)

Oct. 1st, 2019 - List of supported products with:

iOS 13 or iPadOS 13

- Gadget 2 for iOS
- KORG Module Pro
- KORG Module
- KORG ELECTRIBE Wave
- ARP ODYSSEi
- KORG iMono/Poly
- KORG iWAVESTATION
- KORG iM1 for iPad
- iPolysix for iPad
- iMS-20 for iPad
- KORG iDS-10
- iKaossilator for iPhone and iPad
- iELECTRIBE for iPhone
- iELECTRIBE for iPad
- iELECTRIBE Gorillaz Edition

Oct. 1st, 2019 – Products* that we have discovered current compatibility issues with:

iOS 13

Reactions: Mr_Brightside_@

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
I’d just run the iOS 11 this new one came with .. but I have a key synth I use often that requires at least 12. Let me ask you this .. since my first iPad 5 years ago I’ve never backed up or restored anything from iTunes, all my music projects and files are on Dropbox, I just need to be able to re-download my apps from the App Store and update them as updates become available .. is that doable on an unsigned IOS? Thanks!
You can download Dropbox to your iOS 11 iPad, but you cannot upgrade it to 12, because it's unsigned.

*ETA at least until Checkm8 is released, but I'm having trouble finding the iPads it supports.

Last edited:

cloudswimmer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2019
When is the last time you checked for updates from Korg? https://www.korg.com/us/news/2019/0911/

Hopefully they can get them working if they aren't yet.

I assume you have one of these:

Oct. 1st, 2019 - List of supported products with:

iOS 13 or iPadOS 13

- Gadget 2 for iOS
- KORG Module Pro
- KORG Module
- KORG ELECTRIBE Wave
- ARP ODYSSEi
- KORG iMono/Poly
- KORG iWAVESTATION
- KORG iM1 for iPad
- iPolysix for iPad
- iMS-20 for iPad
- KORG iDS-10
- iKaossilator for iPhone and iPad
- iELECTRIBE for iPhone
- iELECTRIBE for iPad
- iELECTRIBE Gorillaz Edition

Oct. 1st, 2019 – Products* that we have discovered current compatibility issues with:

iOS 13

Yeah those would be the controllers I use .. and I use them Bluetooth connected. Most of the pro music production apps have no problem on 13 as verified by that community. I ‘could’ just plug the hardware controllers in wired .. but then that defeats the purpose of the whole iPad workflow and I may as well just go back to my infinitely more powerful desktop and hardware synths .. which I’m trying to get away from these days. Being able to work with no wires is the name of the game here ? IOS 13 does have features that would be nice like stereo screen record and backing up direct to a hard drive, and I hope apple addresses Korg Bluetooth controllers .. it’s in their court at this point not Korg’s, and they are kinda niche products so I guess I won’t hold my breath. Thanks for looking those up .. yeah I keep daily tabs on the situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.