Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Satya78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2019
London
Hi All,
I am new to the forum and need the help. I have 27"inc Mac mid 2011 model. Last few weeks ago the display is having some issues.Some time it become white, sometime multiple colored lines. I took this to the local shop and he advised me the problem is with the graphic adapter. I have also noticed that my imac is start getting bit hot as well. Today I ran the test and found 4MOT/4/40000003:HDD-1273 Error. Did google and there are different suggestions provided so bit confused.

Can someone please let me know if I need to replace HDD or it has some other issues?

Thanks for the help in advance.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
"4MOT" almost always means one of the fans.
"HDD-1273 " means that there's some problem with the HDD fan motor.
THAT error does not mean the HDD (hard drive) has an issue, but it's a fan error. Probably a fan that is not turning at the correct speed. I don't know precisely what the number code means, only that the fan is the culprit. Might just need cleaning - or maybe replacement.

When did you last open up the case to check for dust build-up inside? If the answer is "never", then that's your next step.
BUT, the HDD fan has an air inlet on the back of your iMac, in the center under the hinge area. That's a good place to start, so check for a clogged vent in that location. A bit of gentle brushing will clear that out. You can do that before opening it up, to see if that has any affect on temps.
But, after 8 years, more likely needs to be done.

There's 3 fans. All probably need cleaning. The hard drive fan might have stopped working.
AND, your video issues might also be a result of running too hot (and that's your next place to check)
Some here would suggest that you should also "re-paste" the CPU heat sink. I think you can do the same with the video card, but not sure about that.
(More often than not, cleaning does not help video issues. The video card may be failing)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.