Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PP master 69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2019
Hey,
i have a base model 2017 13 macbook pro and i need some help. i recently decided to change the thermal paste on the cpu but before i did anything too much i decided not to (i took off the bottom panel and unplugged the battery that's it). when i put everything back together and turned it back on, everything worked fine except for one thing which is; the function keys didn't work, they only make those annoying honking noises (i don't know what else to call them) (the ESC key works). i tried reseting the SMC and like restarting the computer but it doesn't work. it is annoying because i can't change my volume, brightness, keyboard brightness, or anything to do with the function keys. any help would be nice thx

Evan,

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
You may have disturbed or loosened the keyboard cable or damaged it when unplugging the battery. Go to www.ifixit.com to see if everything is where it should be and carefully go back over what you did.

PP master 69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2019
You may have disturbed or loosened the keyboard cable or damaged it when unplugging the battery. Go to www.ifixit.com to see if everything is where it should be and carefully go back over what you did.

Hey,
so i tried this but it didn't work. also when i press like f12 it brings up the developer mode side bar

mick2

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2017
UK
If pressing F12 brings something up then the function keys *are* working. This sounds like a simple setting rather than a hw issue:
  1. Apple menu > System Preferences.
  2. Click Keyboard.
  3. Un Select "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys".

PP master 69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2019
If pressing F12 brings something up then the function keys *are* working. This sounds like a simple setting rather than a hw issue:
  1. Apple menu > System Preferences.
  2. Click Keyboard.
  3. Un Select "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys".
Hey,
thanks for the reply but i have already done that and it doesn't seem to do anything

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.