Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drecca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
I think I'm screwed, but looking for some validation in that statement...

I like to walk around and work at different places. I have my 15 incher for when I work from home or travel for a longer period of time. But to walk around and be on the go, I'd like the portability of the 12 inch. But since they stopped making them in 2017, I thought I'd be super smart and get the 11 ipad pro.

While it... "works" it doesn't do everything I need it to do. I run a business, and that business is 24/7 with a lot of different things, so multitasking and window resizing is a must. My bad for thinking the iPad would work, it just doesn't for what I need.

So what are my options? All the 12 rMB's are used right now with probably a ton of cycles on the battery, the refurb store only has gold and rose gold, no 16gb ram models.

Ideas?

Reactions: ascender

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Yeah; The iPad is great for what it is, but can't scratch all itches.

I think look into whether an Air feels too cumbersome for you.

If not you could look into battery replacements on one of the used ones. I'll say though that I've had my MBP since early 2015 and am only on 564 cycles. - Though with an iMac and various other gear supplementing it along the way I guess that helped keep it somewhat low.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Get yourself a 13" Pro. It's a bit heavier, but otherwise a better machine all around.

I have settled with a 2018 13" after all 3 generations of the 12" MacBooks. Let's just say the only thing I'm missing right now is the weight (not so much) and thinness (pretty significant, yeah).

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I had a 13" rMBP (most recent, 2015) and got a 12" rMB for its extreme portability. (Had two, actually, a 2015 (? first year) and a 2017, with the Gen 2 keyboard, which was a huge improvement.). I wanted to go back to one laptop. I tried the 2018 rMBA and really didn't like it: the display in the early models was inferior to the 12" Retina display, it didn't do fairly heavy duty tasks like bulk photo edits any faster than the rMB, and the fans never stopped running. That got me looking at the 13" 2018 rMBP, and that's where I landed. It's only a very little heavier than the new rMBA and os much more powerful and connectible.

caner0

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2019
As a professional traveller and proud owner of 12' Macbook 2016 - I feel your pain. 2018 MBA definitely feels much bigger, and using an iPad is not possible for my use cases. I am stuck with my 3 year old Macbook 12 - it already went to repair 2 times and who knows when the butterfly keys fail again. I will use it until it fails.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
But since they stopped making them in 2017.........

Just a small point of info, which could be relevant for anyone considering second hand or refurb:

The last update was introduced in June 2017, but they were still being sold new up until mid 2019. I don't know when exactly the last one was manufactured but well after 2017. If you find one less than a year old you can still get Applecare, and they are still available in the Refurb store, which would be eligible for Applecare.
[automerge]1575845141[/automerge]

There is a maxed out 2017 gold one in my local CEX, 69 cycles, 98% battery health, 2 year warranty, like new condition, no keyboard faults, for £1005. A lot, but much less than the refurbs. The maxed out ones seem to command a high price compared to the base model which goes for £500-600.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdcastillo

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Neither the 13" Air nor the 13" Pro are a suitable replacement for the 12" MacBook. Both are heavier and bigger, and simply not as portable as the 12" MacBook. I absolutely feel your pain, there is simply no true replacement for that little beauty. I dread the day I will have to trade mine in due to yet another failed keyboard, which is most likely going to be within a year after it drops out of the 4-year keyboard replacement program in January of 2022 (which means I have two more years). And while Apple likes to tout the iPad Pro as laptop replacement it simply isn't nowhere near as powerful and, more importantly, versatile. True, some people may be able to, as @casperes1996 so nicely put it, scratch all their itches with it but most people will become frustrated with its limitations and restrictions sooner rather than later.

I don't know what country you live in but the Apple USA refurbished store has all four colors available right now. None of them with 16GB of RAM, though.

Reactions: The Samurai

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
For those in the US, Costco is selling new ones at $999 for 256GB $1199 for 512GB.

FilmIndustryGuy

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2015
Manhattan Beach, CA
I got the 2015 MB and gave away my 15 inch MBP. Then I bought a 2017 MB with apple care and also a 2017 MBP 15. Sold the 15 in 6 months. I find that I keep going back to the 2017 MB even though I have another new Mac on my desk. Also got the Mini 5 which is great for grab and go to take notes and read as im running around. I like the portable combo of the mini5 with anti glare screen protector and the 12 MB. Yes the MB isn't as snappy as a MBP but for the actual work uses it doesn't really matter. I'm trying not to fool myself by going for some new MBP or iPad as I already know the switch would lose the true 1 hand portability. I have some confidence that apple will release a new MB with ARM processor and that will be the item to get. That will be a great little laptop. A true laptop.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Last year in the UK we had some cracking deals by well known retailers but nothing as of recent, would deffo pick one up they were to come back on sale

Reactions: ascender

jamesdean74

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Hello, keep looking on eBay, I just got a base model 2017 MacBook for $580, not a single mark on it with only 8 cycles on the battery... with original box... only didn’t come with charger, which I got en excellent condition used oem charger on eBay for
$22... so for $602, a few weeks of patience looking for a good deal, I wound up with a good deal... and for the past few weeks I’ve been loving this thing... recording in garageband, browsing, emails, general use

Reactions: The Samurai

servenvolley

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2017
South Carolina
I've been setting up my new MB 12" that arrived from Costco yesterday morning and so far I am loving it. I'm going to sell my 12.9 2nd generation iPad Pro and my 13" 2015 MBP (I want to sell it before Apple rolls out the new 13" pros next year while I can still get something for it resale wise).
I'm a writer and I can already tell that this little gem is all I will need for the next couple of years. I tried hard with the iPad and I loved the cellular connectivity and the many other great features, but I just don't like writing on it.
I'm listening to some mellow jazz on this computer as I write this and I have say that it sounds pretty good. I'm not sure that music that features a lot of bass will do as well as jazz on this computer, but for me this Mac will sound and be more than capable enough to help me get the words out when I'm away from my desk.
Good stuff for sure. I think I even like the keyboard as less travel time on the keys means I can type a bit faster.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I've been setting up my new MB 12" that arrived from Costco yesterday morning and so far I am loving it. I'm going to sell my 12.9 2nd generation iPad Pro and my 13" 2015 MBP (I want to sell it before Apple rolls out the new 13" pros next year while I can still get something for it resale wise).
I'm a writer and I can already tell that this little gem is all I will need for the next couple of years. I tried hard with the iPad and I loved the cellular connectivity and the many other great features, but I just don't like writing on it.
I'm listening to some mellow jazz on this computer as I write this and I have say that it sounds pretty good. I'm not sure that music that features a lot of bass will do as well as jazz on this computer, but for me this Mac will sound and be more than capable enough to help me get the words out when I'm away from my desk.
Good stuff for sure. I think I even like the keyboard as less travel time on the keys means I can type a bit faster.
I have a 2016 MB, after months of typing the keys became real shiny and worn looking. Kinda bothered me, i assume my new MB will be similar. Not a dealbreaker for me.

servenvolley

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2017
South Carolina
I have a 2016 MB, after months of typing the keys became real shiny and worn looking. Kinda bothered me, i assume my new MB will be similar. Not a dealbreaker for me.

I may be wrong, but I think Apple updated the key mechanisms on the 2017 MacBooks. I'm hoping they last longer than the earlier version.

FilmIndustryGuy

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2015
Manhattan Beach, CA
I’m in the same writer boat. Always went back to the 12 inch. I have the Apple pro keyboard at my desk station and I enjoy that keyboard but I don’t mind switching back and forth to the 12 inch keyboard. The keyboard hate is overblown a bit. And yea my keys are kinda shiny now but wipe with alcohol wipe.

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
I have the 2017model and bought it at B&H great sale in the spring($800) and love it. Just gave my MBP 15 2017 to my son that use it for school and games. Sure I see the beachball at times but the ease of bringing it along is worth it. Battery time is great actually reaching the 10 hours and I just throw it in my job bag to travel with my Thinkpad I have to use for work. Would I want something more powerful? Sure but it is sufficient for my needs. I dream about a new Macbook in the future with an ARM processor inside with fantastic battery life and reasonably more powerful. If you can find a new MB 12 buy it. I kind of regret not exchanging mine for the upgrade mid model with 512G SSD that went on sale early summer..

FilmIndustryGuy

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2015
Manhattan Beach, CA
Also guys just wanted to let you know that I bought my 2017 right when it came out and I recently did notice that the read speeds were like 700 mb/s on Blackmagic speed test. I wiped the whole drive and reinstalled all apps from iCloud etc. for Catalina to start from scratch. The 12 inch felt faster and speed test shows 1350 now so it probably makes sense to wipe these things clean every couple of years for New OS install and get rid of the hidden junk. For document work the laptop is good enough and doesn't bother me. My warranty ends in 6 months I'm at 650 charge cycles at 80% battery health. I purposely want it to drop to get my new battery swap from apple. But still 650 cycles for 80% life is pretty good. Even if Apple releases a new version, I'll keep this one due to the value drop. This way I won't feel too bad if this thing gets destroyed since I put no protection on it. Then I'll go buy a new one.

Drecca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
you guys are lucky - I've been trying very hard to find a refurb or *new* model with 16gb ram and it's proving to be impossible. I should have grabbed one when I had the chance

FilmIndustryGuy

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2015
Manhattan Beach, CA
Whats a used 2017 MBr with 5 more months of Apple Care+ worth? Screen was replaced and battery can be swapped with warranty within 5 months? 650 cycles at 80% life. Screen was only replaced a year ago due out hinge being a little loose from factory but Apple had to replace the whole screen. Just wondering what people would pay for this.

Drecca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
depends on the case, any dings, what color it is

And if I were to buy it, I'd be replacing the battery

I've been looking at a few on Ebay... They go between 750 and 1000.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.