Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Nest Audio speakers were on sale for dirt cheap in my area. It should arrive tomorrow.

But I'm now second guessing if I might run into compatibility or AirPlay2 issues. I'm fully in the Apple ecosystem from Macs to iPhones to iPads. I know Google kind of plays nice with iOS, but am I just asking for problems?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Nest Audio speakers were on sale for dirt cheap in my area. It should arrive tomorrow.

But I'm now second guessing if I might run into compatibility or AirPlay2 issues. I'm fully in the Apple ecosystem from Macs to iPhones to iPads. I know Google kind of plays nice with iOS, but am I just asking for problems?
Do your Nest speakers have AirPlay 2 support? If not, look into the Starling Hub. It allows Google Nest speakers to integrate into AirPlay 2 and HomeKit. I haven’t tried it with Nest speakers but I have used it with a Nest Hello Doorbell and a few Nest Protects and I can tell you from my experience they are rock solid in HomeKit. The Nest Hello loaded up much faster than any native HomeKit Camera I had. Check with them to make sure your speakers are compatible

BigPotatoLobbyist

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2020
Theoretically as long as you use a music service with integrated Google Cast, you will be fine. In practice I can't say it's as seamless as AirPlay 2 in my experience, so a Starling Home Hub wouldn't be an awful choice as an addition.

The N.A.'s are pretty ****ing good even at MSRP, you should enjoy it.

Reactions: satchmo

satchmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Do your Nest speakers have AirPlay 2 support? If not, look into the Starling Hub. It allows Google Nest speakers to integrate into AirPlay 2 and HomeKit. I haven’t tried it with Nest speakers but I have used it with a Nest Hello Doorbell and a few Nest Protects and I can tell you from my experience they are rock solid in HomeKit. The Nest Hello loaded up much faster than any native HomeKit Camera I had. Check with them to make sure your speakers are compatible

Thanks, I've read that there is a noticeable lag when pairing up Airplay with Nest speakers. But apparently AirPlay 2 fixes that. There's no specs on whether the Nest supports 1 or 2.

Regardless, I'm not sure I want to spend another $99 on a Starling Hub.
I might return the Nest speakers or just give it to a family member.

Reactions: Itinj24

satchmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Theoretically as long as you use a music service with integrated Google Cast, you will be fine. In practice I can't say it's as seamless as AirPlay 2 in my experience, so a Starling Home Hub wouldn't be an awful choice as an addition.

The N.A.'s are pretty ****ing good even at MSRP, you should enjoy it.

Have you compared the sound the Nest Audio to HomePod minis?

There are so many conflicting reviews on which is better. Apparently the N.A. is missing in the mid and highs and that the HomePods are more balanced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.