Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biomatics

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Northern California
15E803A9-E81C-4039-BC8C-39AB6C269524.jpeg
Are my eyes correct that the new leather Modern Buckle in Aubergine has gold stainless steel lugs and buckle? It’d be great to have an exact material match with my Series 4 gold stainless steel.
Can anyone confirm?
Thanks!

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
Very clearly Gold... I’m not sure if I understand what you are having trouble seeing?

biomatics

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Northern California
Very clearly Gold... I’m not sure if I understand what you are having trouble seeing?
Thx for confirming, C. With effects of photo lighting and different monitors, I just needed others’ viewpoints.
Plus I was doubtful that Apple would finally issue a strap with gold SS hardware, other than the gold Milanese of course.

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2019
i wonder how this would look with the rose gold series 2...i know it wouldnt look good with the hermes ss

guess i'll have to try it at the store

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Plus I was doubtful that Apple would finally issue a strap with gold SS hardware, other than the gold Milanese of course.

Indeed. And now black stainless lugs on the Hermes Noir band! :eek:

i wonder how this would look with the rose gold series 2...

Since the Modern Buckles use stainless steel hardware, I believe the lugs would be a much shinier gold than the gold aluminum watches (which is kind of more a matte finish) and probably fairly different than the rose gold aluminum finish.

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2019
Since the Modern Buckles use stainless steel hardware, I believe the lugs would be a much shinier gold than the gold aluminum watches (which is kind of more a matte finish) and probably fairly different than the rose gold aluminum finish.

yeeeeah since at the moment until my hermes S5 comes in i gotta use my leather bands with my aluminum RG watch

here's it with the peony pink modern buckle from last year. it clashes but it isn't so bad (imo)

IMG_6737.jpg

mizmimi02

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2014
Midwest
I was hoping they would have one compatible with the 44mm. Ugh, I wanted this one so bad for my ss gold series 4. :(

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Indeed. And now black stainless lugs on the Hermes Noir band! :eek:

Right? I was perfectly happy not buying a leather band because none of the lugs match my SSBS AW4, and I don’t like the loop style bands. Now I don’t think I have a choice!

Beachmusic18

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2018
St Petersburg
Darn...couldn’t sleep last night, got up, started reading here, saw this thread then pulled the trigger on the aubergine band! This is a dangerous place when your defenses are down through sleep deprivation. :D I began eyeing it the day the new gear was announced...loved the color immediately and it was the first leather band I’d seen that went with gold SS. Delivery isn’t until October 18-25 for the medium size band. First of October for the small and large. I want. Now! LOL

Reactions: rosegoldoli

Design245

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2017
Ontario, Canada
My series 5 was delivered today, I went with the space grey with the aubergine band and was really worried about how the gold would look with the black case but it’s actually not that bad.
B8BFEE0E-5492-47D1-A886-24135BA38D88.jpeg
32AB7630-8CB9-40A5-9152-56932256EE6D.jpeg

Reactions: outsidah

biomatics

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Northern California
Comparison of gold shades on 2019 Modern Buckle (Aubergine) strap fittings with gold stainless steel Series 4: As you see below, the strap's "gold" is a yellow gold. The Series 4 SS gold is a darker, bronze-y, antique gold. So, no, they don't match. At least it's not an offensive clash.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1478.jpg

When I asked an Apple person why the mismatch, he said, "The goal was to match the real gold of the Series 0 Gold Edition." Yeah, right. So all three people who bought that watch 4 years ago FINALLY have a strap that matches! We can all share in the joy those three people can now experience, right?

BTW, I think the strap with its golden fittings is extremely attractive. (As seen in San Francisco Union Square flagship store.)
[automerge]1569451525[/automerge]

Last edited:
Reactions: rosegoldoli

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2019
Comparison of gold shades on 2019 Modern Buckle (Aubergine) strap fittings with gold stainless steel Series 4: As you see below, the strap's "gold" is a yellow gold. The Series 4 SS gold is a darker, bronze-y, antique gold. So, no, they don't match. At least it's not an offensive clash.

When I asked an Apple person why the mismatch, he said, "The goal was to match the real gold of the Series 0 Gold Edition." Yeah, right. So all three people who bought that watch 4 years ago FINALLY have a strap that matches! We can all share in the joy those three people can now experience, right?

BTW, I think the strap with its golden fittings is extremely attractive. (As seen in San Francisco Union Square flagship store.)
[automerge]1569451525[/automerge]

Went to the apple store and while there i wanted to check this out. turns out there isn't a color difference as it is perfectly blended in. Maybe some have a different tint? odd phenomena

IMG_7124.jpg

Reactions: SoulGirlDaria

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
It should be noted that these bands are only compatible with 40mm watches.

jaxx7

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2020
Reviving this ancient thread to cross-post some pictures of this stunning band. The hardware is perfectly matched to the bronze/copper gold S4 and S5 SS models; the lugs seamlessly blend into and vertically elongate the watch's chassis.

Aubergine Modern Buckle (Fall 2019) on Gold SS S5.

One of just two leather bands with matching gold SS hardware – lugs and buckle both. The hardware is matched to the bronze-hued gold of the S4 and S5 SS.

Ofc there's more if we count the elusive 18k rose/yellow gold modern and classic buckles that came bundled with the 18k rose/yellow gold Edition watches from 2015, but those were never available as standalone bands.

I’m too thin to capture a frontal view of the band; the watch case occupies the entire vertical breadth of my wrist and obscures the band from vision, so I’ve got to show it off from the sides.

Aubergine4.jpg Aubergine6.jpg Aubergine1.jpg Aubergine2.jpg Aubergine3.jpg Aubergine5.jpg Aubergine7.jpg Aubergine8.jpg IMG_9378.jpeg IMG_9197.jpeg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.